Power Harrows

diesel power

Evening all. I was off looking at power harrows there this afternoon. Few questions as I know feck all about them. Whats yer opinion on Rabe?. I saw 5 I think it was and every single one of them was opened up. Is there something badly wrong with them?. I also looked at an Amazone kg302 that looks tidy but again I know nothing and it was also opened. A heavy looking yoke. I was looking at a lovely Kuhn but the money is mad so thats a non runner anyway. Any advice welcome lads, tia Dp.

Contractor my brother has worked for previously reckoned the Rabe would be better with wing nuts on the top covers as they were off regular enough. He reckoned they did a better job than the Kuhn but just not as reliable. Not sure if it was seals or bearings they were changing.

Amazone KG would be counted a good harrow.

Lemken seems to be getting a good name but go with the Zirkon 10. Users on here say they would snap times in stoney land and the new Zirkon 11 has a heavier tine design but can't be used on the 10s

I'm on my second Lemken power harrow, first was a Zirkon 8 and now have a 10. Very happy with it and get great wear on the tines. Friends bought a Lemken on the back of this for reseeding and are in stony ground but are delighted with it. Amazone highly thought of in this area too.

Have a pottinger lion 3000 myself and it is a powerful harrow. Gives very little trouble but the tines cost a few bob. If i was buying a harrow tomorrow i would buy a Kuhn, great harrow and cheap for wearing parts. As regards Rabe there is a heavy duty model and a lighter one. Bet the ones you saw open were the lighter models.

Have a pottinger lion 3000 myself and it is a powerful harrow. Gives very little trouble but the tines cost a few bob. If i was buying a harrow tomorrow i would buy a Kuhn, great harrow and cheap for wearing parts. As regards Rabe there is a heavy duty model and a lighter one. Bet the ones you saw open were the lighter models.

The Rabe ones were Toucans and a Corvos.

There was also an mke and pke but cannot remember which was the light and heavy duty. Toucans and Corvos would be the newer Rabe stuff but still possibly 15 years old or more

i asked here before as to what was the best ph to buy and it came out as a amazone kg302 and thats what i bought.
it actually came with a seeder on it as well which has been parked up since.
i havnt done much with it but its a good harrow all the same, its heavy and well built.
when i got it the tine holders were ok but imo were worn a bit too far so i bought new holders, cut the old ones off and welded on new ones, i stuck on a set of tines on her as well which id say will see me out for all she dose.
the only other thing that wasnt right on her was a couple of the bearing housing tubes that drop down from the bed a few inches were weeping where they were welded so i ground them off and re welded them, i see one or two yet is just damp but they leak nothing so its not the end of the world now.
when i bought her i opened it up to see if everything was ok just in case, i was surprised as to how clean even the grease was tbh.
she is the one with all the car tyres as a packer roller instead of a metal drum.
i had looked at a lot of ones like you but i warmed to nothing until i seen this one, and on top of that he asked me about 2 k less than i thought he would so i bought it.

kg is the hd version, ke is the lighter one.

i asked here before as to what was the best ph to buy and it came out as a amazone kg302 and thats what i bought.
it actually came with a seeder on it as well which has been parked up since.
i havnt done much with it but its a good harrow all the same, its heavy and well built.
when i got it the tine holders were ok but imo were worn a bit too far so i bought new holders, cut the old ones off and welded on new ones, i stuck on a set of tines on her as well which id say will see me out for all she dose.
the only other thing that wasnt right on her was a couple of the bearing housing tubes that drop down from the bed a few inches were weeping where they were welded so i ground them off and re welded them, i see one or two yet is just damp but they leak nothing so its not the end of the world now.
when i bought her i opened it up to see if everything was ok just in case, i was surprised as to how clean even the grease was tbh.
she is the one with all the car tyres as a packer roller instead of a metal drum.
i had looked at a lot of ones like you but i warmed to nothing until i seen this one, and on top of that he asked me about 2 k less than i thought he would so i bought it.

kg is the hd version, ke is the lighter one.

Does your one have a levelling bar tinny?. The one I saw today doesn't and I didn't see anywhere to fit one either.

Evening all. I was off looking at power harrows there this afternoon. Few questions as I know feck all about them. Whats yer opinion on Rabe?. I saw 5 I think it was and every single one of them was opened up. Is there something badly wrong with them?. I also looked at an Amazone kg302 that looks tidy but again I know nothing and it was also opened. A heavy looking yoke. I was looking at a lovely Kuhn but the money is mad so thats a non runner anyway. Any advice welcome lads, tia Dp.

Stay away from the later rabe,they aren't a patch on the older vke or ske,
Rabe had a great name but lost it when the started making the corvus/corvex and toucan ,gregeoir besson are now using them and painting them in their colours,
amazone kg is a great well built machine and generally a very reliable machine,have sold a few of them but was only talking to a man yesterday evening that had a problem with the tine holders bending,but probably in stony ground,
Amazone only has ten rotors which may be no different to the man that hasn't used a 12 rotor machine,but their is a big difference in the work,
Lemken zirkon 10 is a very good machine and well built too and she is 12 rotor,and getting very popular,but tines aren't made spurious yet and at arround 23/24+vat their expensive to re tine,
Where as the kg amazone a spurious tine can be got at under 10 and a genuine kuhn tine will fit a kg at under a tenner,
Kuhn are renound in certain areas to be king,but after being in a few 303 and 3003 beds,ill tell you their nothing to write home about,and starting to loose their name,
Lenken zirkon 10 isnt easy bought either but very handy put a bearing in and balls dont generally go up into bed like a kuhn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rabe had a great name but lost it when the started making the corvus/corvex and toucan ,gregeoir besson are now using them and painting them in their colours,
amazone kg is a great well built machine and generally a very reliable machine,have sold a few of them but was only talking to a man yesterday evening that had a problem with the tine holders bending,but probably in stony ground,
Amazone only has ten rotors which may be no different to the man that hasn't used a 12 rotor machine,but their is a big difference in the work,
Lemken zirkon 10 is a very good machine and well built too and she is 12 rotor,and getting very popular,but tines aren't made spurious yet and at arround 23/24+vat their expensive to re tine,
Where as the kg amazone a spurious tine can be got at under 10 and a genuine kuhn tine will fit a kg at under a tenner,
Kuhn are renound in certain areas to be king,but after being in a few 303 and 3003 beds,ill tell you their nothing to write home about,and starting to loose their name,
Lenken zirkon 10 isnt easy bought either but very handy put a bearing in and balls dont generally go up into bed like a kuhn.

Thanks for that Barry. I was wondering why all the Rabe harrows were opened. Whatever about one or two you'd expect that. In saying that if I came on a good one for the right money I'd probably still chance it. It won't be killed with the amount of work I'd have every year.

Does your one have a levelling bar tinny?. The one I saw today doesn't and I didn't see anywhere to fit one either.
there is an adjustable bar before the wheels alright, ive never had any issues with the way she would leave ground behind her but im no tillage man.
anything ive asked her to do she done it good enough for me tbh.

Isn't the 303 the light version of the Kuhn harrow baz? I looked at one earlier in the year and was warned off because of that.

Perhaps a Rabe MKE then DP but it will be agey but I suspect you don't want to spend big dosh on one? There is a clean one in Kilkenny on Donedeal for around 4k.

5k would get a clean Kuhn 3002 or Rabe. There is a cleanish Pottinger in Donohues of Enniscorthy too like thefarminglad's.

Presume you mean front levelling bar dp?
Dont think iv ever seen a amazone with one,they have a rear one that runs low and keeps the stuff in the harrow longer and tends to bring stuff with it and does a good job levelling but a front one is a help at times.

Isn't the 303 the light version of the Kuhn harrow baz? I looked at one earlier in the year and was warned off because of that.

Perhaps a Rabe MKE then DP but it will be agey but I suspect you don't want to spend big dosh on one? There is a clean one in Kilkenny on Donedeal for around 4k.

5k would get a clean Kuhn 3002 or Rabe. There is a cleanish Pottinger in Donohues of Enniscorthy too like thefarminglad's.

Yea 303 is the lighter version and had a tendency for breaking shafts,
3003 is the heavier but iv seen bearing go in them and damage the cast housing for the bearing and have replaced a few.

An mke nash,no no no,that is the lightest version of the older rabe,at the least a pke, if you can get a good one go for a vke,ske's were a tank but dint think their were too many sold in ireland,
Yea 5k will buy a 3002 ,but lift it before you but and check all bearings and seals,its not a 5 minute job,

Yea 303 is the lighter version and had a tendency for breaking shafts,
3003 is the heavier but iv seen bearing go in them and damage the cast housing for the bearing and have replaced a few.

An mke nash,no no no,that is the lightest version of the older rabe,at the least a pke, if you can get a good one go for a vke,ske's were a tank but dint think their were too many sold in ireland,
Yea 5k will buy a 3002 ,but lift it before you but and check all bearings and seals,its not a 5 minute job,

Thanks Baz, I couldn't remember which way the Rabes were but thanks for correcting that.

I suppose one thing to add, the few I looked at, quite a few didn't have levelling boards, personally I'd count that as a waste of time then. That in itself does quite a bit of cultivation no matter what soil type.

It all depends on the budget DP :thumbup:

Presume you mean front levelling bar dp?
Dont think iv ever seen a amazone with one,they have a rear one that runs low and keeps the stuff in the harrow longer and tends to bring stuff with it and does a good job levelling but a front one is a help at times.

Any leveling bar Baz. The KG i saw today had nothing front or back in it.

Id imagine powerharrows are like mowers,tricky buying s/h unless you know the history.

Its a big job strip a kuhn harrow to do a bearing i know.the first one i had was bougjt clean ex uk and did a fair bit before problems occurred.
Bought a new one around 8 years ago and its been trouble free but acreage wouldn't be huge.one set of tines per year now as the amazone catros is doing a lot of the work faster and cheaper than a powerharrow could but they still do great work in certain conditions

Dowdeswell here the have duty one shoving on in years now.
Wed buy another one without a shadow of s doubt

Sent from my D2203 using Tapatalk

Back