Power Harrows

The Kuhn packer looks fresh new set of tines bearings and oil seals and you've a reasonable harrow and you know what you have! Drill needs a fair bit of tidying up but again all parts are available.

Both are laying up a long long time, which would worry me, you could be buying a lot of rust!

I think a Kuhn 3001 is early 90's?

are you thinking about using such a devil tool Nash? The worms will put a curse on you.

Small money for it to be fair....

I will be probably be stoned to death for thinking such thoughts as well as being burnt at the stake but to answer your question, yes.

I would love a Catros or similar but couldn't justify it and a power harrow would be a better long term solution at our small scale backed up with my time harrow.

May not happen in 2017 but no harm in researching.

Apparently there are two different types of Dowdsewell power harrow, a standard and a heavy duty version.

I assume that this is the standard one?
https://www.donedeal.ie/harrows-for-sale/dowdeswell-3m-power-harrow/14256133
Small money nash,but if your going to spend that sort of money,stick to a kuhn or the likes,dowdeswell are a thing of the past and thats as old as you are,bits will always be easily got for a kuhn or the likes.if she broke a shaft id say you would have a bit of searching,

Small money nash,but if your going to spend that sort of money,stick to a kuhn or the likes,dowdeswell are a thing of the past and thats as old as you are,bits will always be easily got for a kuhn or the likes.if she broke a shaft id say you would have a bit of searching,

Agreed tried a hd dowdeswell and it's nothing compared to an amazone 3000 special or equivalent Kuhn..

I will be probably be stoned to death for thinking such thoughts as well as being burnt at the stake but to answer your question, yes.

I would love a Catros or similar but couldn't justify it and a power harrow would be a better long term solution at our small scale backed up with my time harrow.

May not happen in 2017 but no harm in researching.

If a power harrow is used properly then I don't think they are as bad as made out, some folks idea of powerharrowing is rotors flat out and bury it to the hilt, my main power harrow is a lemken with the 2 speed box, between that and the tractor pto gears theres a lot of adjustment to be had. I can go from rotors flat out and doing 2km/h in some places to rotors in low gear and tractor in 540 doing 12 km/h in others.

In Kuhn or the likes, what else would you include so? I assume you mean someone who is still in business and that could be partly the reason why that Dowdy is cheaper.

On Kuhns, what are the differences between the 1, 2 and 3 ranges?

In Kuhn or the likes, what else would you include so? I assume you mean someone who is still in business and that could be partly the reason why that Dowdy is cheaper.

On Kuhns, what are the differences between the 1, 2 and 3 ranges?

id include amazone, fresher kv's,and rabe,at that sort of price range, at least all the bits can be got for these,
iv had 3 lelys here myself here for up on 20 years,but we had all the heavier versions and iv never being in the bed of one yet,look it ,lely have a soft name,but id chance one.
iv since sold all my lelys and have moved to 2 lemkens,but it was no fault of the lely,
im not going to answer the 12 and 3 range fully on the kuhn,but im near certain the internals in the bed are the same if not very similar,differences were tine holders and headstocks,
and then on the 3 series they went to a bigger packer,and the earlier 3 series had a different quick fit tine than the later 3 series,
but i woulnt fault a early 1 or 2 series.

When we were buying I looked at a few old dowdswell but also because of parts and age decided not to chance them. From memory the square top ones are hd so that one would be hd. To be fair much easier to replace bearings than Kuhn.

Thanks for that baz.

Bearing in mind that I wouldn't want to spend big money, doesn't that also rule out KV? from what I'm told it's the newer N series on that are reasonably reliable and I think they were only introduced in the mid 00's.

I'm pretty sure the PHB series weren't too reliable but I could have all of that completely ar $ eways and nothing new there!

I had a look at a few brochures there and I think you are right on the Dowdeswell towbar.

id include amazone, fresher kv's,and rabe,at that sort of price range, at least all the bits can be got for these,
iv had 3 lelys here myself here for up on 20 years,but we had all the heavier versions and iv never being in the bed of one yet,look it ,lely have a soft name,but id chance one.
iv since sold all my lelys and have moved to 2 lemkens,but it was no fault of the lely,
im not going to answer the 12 and 3 range fully on the kuhn,but im near certain the internals in the bed are the same if not very similar,differences were tine holders and headstocks,
and then on the 3 series they went to a bigger packer,and the earlier 3 series had a different quick fit tine than the later 3 series,
but i woulnt fault a early 1 or 2 series.
Think the bigger packer is an option on the Kuhn.

Looking at a front press, surely makes life easier for the ph?.

It will help to consolidate the seedbed in front of the drill anyway.

Are you looking at a full width press or just between the wheels of the tractor?

Looking at one just width of tractor. Budgetary constraints.

They definitely help, depending on what youre after they can be picked up fairly cheaply, theres not much to go wrong on them so a tired looking one can be tidied up easy enough.

You must be fond of picking stones . We had the oval shaped bars on ours but the square ones like that were better . We used Power harrows from 1969 till 1993 . The first was a Soilmaster Powerharrow (heap of junk) on a Massey 165 then a 10 foot Vicon and then a15 foot Vicon when we got thee first Ford 7600 .

That was said very much in jest!

Back