Question about maverick..

James 6230premium

Guys.

Thinking of giving a go at rearing 10 calves. ( I always bought a stronger animal but want to try sumthing different).

What would be the average daily useage of maverick , calf nuts etc.

Just weighing up my options.

What age are the calves your getting and are the bulls or heifers.
I'm using a bag and a half per calf (30 kg powder) to get them from 3 weeks old to weaning.

It's great to get practical information. A few years ago, teagasc were pushing through the suckler discussion groups, for people to rear dairy calves. I remember specifically, an "expert" coming to one of our meetings and giving us a presentation where he did a break down on costs. The main point that he made was that one 20kg bag of milk replacer would bring a calf from 2 weeks to weaning. He stressed that some of the most efficient farmers were able to bring 12 calves from 2 weeks to weaning on 10 bags of milk replacer.

He was questioned inside out. Some of the people in our group would be former dairy farmers from the 80's and 90's and would have a lot of experience of bucket rearing calves. He told them that they had over fed. I think it's reasonable enough to budget a bag and a half per calf.

At 125 grams a litre you should get around 32 days per bag. At 21 days old that 53 days another 17 days he should be weaned that's another half bag...I always reckon it's anywhere from e85 plus to rear a calf from 3 weeks

At 125 grams a litre you should get around 32 days per bag. At 21 days old that 53 days another 17 days he should be weaned that's another half bag...I always reckon it's anywhere from
You can either pay for the powder or pay the vet.
For the OP, we're using Golden Maverick here. Calves start off on 750 grammes/day at 4 days old and build up to almost 1.1 kgs. At 42 days old we will gradually start reducing it to wean them off at 63 days old.[/7QUOTE]

At how many ltrs.

At 125 grams a litre you should get around 32 days per bag. At 21 days old that 53 days another 17 days he should be weaned that's another half bag...I always reckon it's anywhere from
Your maths is correct. You're only giving calves 625 grammes a day though!

Your maths is correct. You're only giving calves 625 grammes a day though!

That's the general go and recommendation of most powders tho. Most lads seem to be happy at that. There's s few I've seem alright higher with the highest been 950. I'm going to up the heifers to 150 this yr and leave the few bulls I buy at 125

That's the general go and recommendation of most powders tho. Most lads seem to be happy at that. There's s few I've seem alright higher with the highest been 950. I'm going to up the heifers to 150 this yr and leave the few bulls I buy at 125
Well now you know a lad on 1.1 kgs!!!
The thinking behind feeding lower rates is that the calf has an appetite to eat more solids, but it doesn't work like that, I can concur that they will actually eat more if they are fed more, the trick is at the 6 week mark to start gradually lowering it and not full steam to 8/10 weeks then wean.

Hijacking the thread slightly after weaning until turn out how much concentrate do people feed calves

I have them on ration ad-lib till the go out, and then I'll feed them twice a day 1.5 - 2 kg/head/day
Mostly to keep an eye on them.

Back