Rats!

C

Cork

Have never seen rat bait to move as fast as I've seen today...

Two plastic pipes got 4-5 fresh blocks of storm at 9:20 this morning. Came back at 10 and all were gone!
Had put more in on Wednesday. Some of it is certainly being eaten as the crumbs are near the pipes. No doubt they are moving some away aswell.

Found a dead rat within 2-3ft of one of the pipes the other day.

The pipes are about 60ft apart at a full straw shed. No grain being stored and the combine is pretty spotless. The yard would be as clean and tidy as any I know and no spud, maize or beet fields nearby.
No stock so no feed being stored either!

Looks like there's plenty of rats about this year!!!

Just put in some grain based bait to give them variety....

Two plastic pipes got 4-5 fresh blocks of storm at 9:20 this morning. Came back at 10 and all were gone!
Had put more in on Wednesday. Some of it is certainly being eaten as the crumbs are near the pipes. No doubt they are moving some away aswell.

The pipes are about 60ft apart at a full straw shed. No grain being stored and the combine is pretty spotless. The yard would be as clean and tidy as any I know and no spud, maize or beet fields nearby.

with those blocks they carry them away and store them
cant beat loose grain bait

fair bit been going here too but on top of them now
stamped on 1 under the side sheet this morning:thumbup:

Only filled up the bait boxes this morning to. The blocks I use have a hole in the middle and the bait boxes have a little bar in them to hold them so they can't be taken and have to be chewed at. Also put the grain in around the blocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the feckers have arrived here over the last month. I havnt laid bait in 3 years and there is more feeding to beat the band around the yard

the feckers have arrived here over the last month. I havnt laid bait in 3 years and there is more feeding to beat the band around the yard

Might look at tying some of them down although there is plenty of evidence of them being eaten.
We put bait through the bales aswell and have never found evidence of storing blocks over the years.

Have rants here myself I always screw the bait to timber or put wire through the blocks and through sewer pipes and tie at the top if they can't take the the bait they will eat it which should kill them

I often wondered if a rat had a choice to grain in the tmr or maize or whole crop or a block in a pipe which would they go for. I.e. Do the rats have to be hungry for a food source to go for the bait

Dirty buggers are having a field day around here too and we are on top of them.
Time between reloading is extending a bit though so hopefully that's that.

I had a nest of them in the end of the shed last spring. I assume they were young, but fully grown. I could see up to six of them in the passage way at any one time. If I was any distance from them up the passage way, or even standing still close by them, they would have no problem with coming out and jumping around the place in full view. I laid some grain based bait. Placed it under an upturned wheelbarrow close to where they were located. I could stand and watch them coming for the bait. What I found interesting is that they never ate it at the bait point. They'd collect a grain, and carry it back to the nest.

We get the bait with the hole in the middle,
put it in a bit of 4 inch sewer pipe run a bit of wire through it so they cannot carry the bait out, at least then we know its not getting dragged off to where the cattle are or into the silage pit
hadn't been touched until a week ago !

Saw a scaly tail about a month ago so put out 5 feeders with 4 blocks of "EndoRat" bait.
Nothing was touched as they were checked weekly. On Wednesday they were empty, refilled them but haven't checked them since. Now I don't keep any animals or feed stuffs apart from two mutts.

Haven't seen any rats about here yet but we do seem to have a lot of mice. I usually keep bait down all year here so rats are rare enough.

Haven't seen any rats about here yet but we do seem to have a lot of mice. I usually keep bait down all year here so rats are rare enough.

I think (don't quote me) if you have the mice in then the rats won't be about,, don't think they will tolerate mice being about the place with them,,

That statement might be a load of tosh by the way,,:whistle:

I think (don't quote me) if you have the mice in then the rats won't be about,, don't think they will tolerate mice being about the place with them,,

Never heard of that before. Tbh I'd much prefer mice to dirty rats any day.

I've herd that too. Not sure what distance they tolerate mind you, if you can have rats in one shed and mice in the other!?

I heard that too, and always had it in mind. But, last year I had mice and decided to put down some bait. A few days later I found a dying rat in the middle of the shed. So either he was there along with the mice unknown to me, or he was just unlucky to turn up the day I laid the bait......

is it really a bad thing if they bring a few blocks back to the nest? if they are feeding young ones won,t it get them before they,re big enough to hunt for their own feed, i know its not the commonly accepted view but its something i always thought made a little bit of sense to my simple mind anyway

is it really a bad thing if they bring a few blocks back to the nest? if they are feeding young ones won,t it get them before they,re big enough to hunt for their own feed, i know its not the commonly accepted view but its something i always thought made a little bit of sense to my simple mind anyway

Same thought process here!

True, not a bad thing at all.... but the downside is that once the block disappears, you have no idea where it has gone to, and what will come in contact with it.

I often wondered if a rat had a choice to grain in the tmr or maize or whole crop or a block in a pipe which would they go for. I.e. Do the rats have to be hungry for a food source to go for the bait

think its just more about easiest opportunity that fits their behaviour :confused:

TBH i think this time of year is far too late to be putting bait out. It is already after getting cold and they have moved indoors.
September is the month to have have it out so when they come nosing around the yard they are dealt with before they start breeding

We get the bait with the hole in the middle,
put it in a bit of 4 inch sewer pipe run a bit of wire through it so they cannot carry the bait out, at least then we know its not getting dragged off to where the cattle are or into the silage pit
hadn't been touched until a week ago !

simular here. i use standard storm blocks... they have a thin bit in the middle that is easy enough to drive a 6inch nail through. block only rarely breaks. I drive a big nail through the pipe (recycled silage wrap tubes)

The concern is that they are robbing all the bait that has cost you money and you have spent time baiting and are not actually consuming the poison at all. so you are wasting your time/money rebaiting.:whistle:

if you have a location for the sonic plug in jobs they are effective at detering new enterants to the area.

that said hard to beat a good clean up of the yard and remove there favouraite hiding spots.:thumbup2:

TBH i think this time of year is far too late to be putting bait out. It is already after getting cold and they have moved indoors.
September is the month to have have it out so when they come nosing around the yard they are dealt with before they start breeding

QUOTE]

I've been putting it out since August (when straw first starts going into sheds.

Storm here currently. Also a bit of Romax grain bait in the combine for the mice.

Will try some of the new Bayer Rodillon next.

storm and endorat plus some grain type

I put down both storm blocks and grain in tins a few years ago to see what would happen and the grain was left but no trace of blocks. It was through benches of straw so the whole winter went for them to take all the bait. Strange the grain was left behind :confused:

Back