Reco Mengele sh40

Had a man in to replace it. He used to work for the local mengele dealer when trailed harvesters were popular still so...

She did the uncles harvest well enough. Not got anything to cut for her here yet so shall see how it goes.

On the lookout for a second machine though. But no rush

I could find 2 unused 40s and 1 30 within 15 miles , that I know of.

But I couldn't find you a field of grass worth cutting in that distance.

A 75 year old man a mile from here finally cut the last of his 1 st cut in bales yesterday. It was Brown with docks 3 weeks ago..

A 75 year old man a mile from here finally cut the last of his 1 st cut in bales yesterday. It was Brown with docks 3 weeks ago..
Unused or just not used this year?

There's plenty about. But lots of lads have a nostalgic thing of thinking they'll use it again one day when the contractor's busy.

I'm fussy really. On the hunt for a 10 blade machine. Very few were made AFAIK.

Unused or just not used this year?

All well worked.
40 n , belongs to a friend of @Peter . Unused this 10? Years. Front bearing gone . Left out .

40n , used in 2017. 9 knives fitted working well. Replaced by a demo model Lely Storm this year. 30 n in the same place unused since the 40 was bought 10 0dd years ago. Not much done for an 86 machine.

There's plenty about. But lots of lads have a nostalgic thing of thinking they'll use it again one day when the contractor's busy.

I'm fussy really. On the hunt for a 10 blade machine. Very few were made AFAIK.
12 blades a lot more common here.

Reactions: AYF
All well worked.
40 n , belongs to a friend of @Peter . Unused this 10? Years. Front bearing gone . Left out .

40n , used in 2017. 9 knives fitted working well. Replaced by a demo model Lely Storm this year. 30 n in the same place unused since the 40 was bought 10 0dd years ago. Not much done for an 86 machine.

12 blades a lot more common here.

That 40n last worked in 2011 as the next year they bought themselves a mengale Wagon. When they got it first it was a right animal to take in stuff driven by the fiat 1300 but they wouldn't be too interested in setting the shearbar right or sharpening knives so its output plummeted over time. The flywheel bearing went in it that year and they parked it up where it lies today. That harvester would be delighted with a new home.

That 40n last worked in 2011 as the next year they bought themselves a mengale Wagon. When they got it first it was a right animal to take in stuff driven by the fiat 1300 but they wouldn't be too interested in setting the shearbar right or sharpening knives so its output plummeted over time. The flywheel bearing went in it that year and they parked it up where it lies today. That harvester would be delighted with a new home.

I asked them about it in 2012 or 2013 , before i bougjt the 850 .They had the Mengele wagon , but were still thinking of getting the 40 going for themselves. He wouldnt put a price on it.

I asked them about it in 2012 or 2013 , before i bougjt the 850 .They had the Mengele wagon , but were still thinking of getting the 40 going for themselves. He wouldnt put a price on it.

No I tell you I already have the 18 ft trailer there and I have the steel there over there the far side of the yard there to make another one and I'm going to get a couple of fiat tractors going for drawing in. It's a bit of work but sure I've all winter there and if I came down every evening after work il have them all back running and next summer with everything going right we'll have a massive pile of grass in the yard in no time at all. He said something like that I'd bet.

It was definitely 2012 that they got the wagon as it was so wet they could only now 4 acres at a time as they are drawing it all five miles. I remember one day the floor chains broke in the wagon. The two boys went back to work and left their father there to fork it all out. It took him two days.

No I tell you I already have the 18 ft trailer there and I have the steel there over there the far side of the yard there to make another one and I'm going to get a couple of fiat tractors going for drawing in. It's a bit of work but sure I've all winter there and if I came down every evening after work il have them all back running and next summer with everything going right we'll have a massive pile of grass in the yard in no time at all. He said something like that I'd bet.

It was definitely 2012 that they got the wagon as it was so wet they could only now 4 acres at a time as they are drawing it all five miles. I remember one day the floor chains broke in the wagon. The two boys went back to work and left their father there to fork it all out. It took him two days.

Remarkably like that . He even told me about the 5 mile draw.
The old chap won't fork any more grass. God rest him.

Well lads looking at a sh25 as a winter project with the aim of using it for working days etc. What width would the be? will they fit in a 10 foot gate?
Also what is the parts availability like?

Thanks

Someone has told me that 10 blade and 12 blade Memgele's have a different colour scheme

Anyone able to shed a light on this?

Our old un is 10 blade. Blue and red
But I see some machines blue and black which I prrsumed were just newer. But notice now that the ages seem to overlap.

I know of a very straight little used 30N , that I could have sworn was stamped 1986 ? Seems I was wrong .

Sh30 was released in 1979 to 1989 so yes an 1986 machine is possible.

I've two of them, great harvesters for smaller scale farmers, with a few mods they'll fly through grass, lift about 30-35acres on a good day.

I know of a very straight little used 30N , that I could have sworn was stamped 1986 ? Seems I was wrong .
Could well be correct. Fairly sure the narrow pickup on our current 40 came off a 30 at some stage. As it has an 80's stamp on it. And the worm has been converted to hydraulic lift by someone.

Could well be correct. Fairly sure the narrow pickup on our current 40 came off a 30 at some stage. As it has an 80's stamp on it. And the worm has been converted to hydraulic lift by someone.
Wat was the difference in a 30 as to a 40

30s had 1.6m reel or 2.1metre.. Extremely rare.. 40s 1.8m reel, 30s needed hydraulics from the tractor to work, 40's had independent hydraulics.
Pickup reel drive is changed sides from 30 to a 40, 40's had interchangeable gears for changing the pickup reel speed, on a 30, you have to change the sprocket on the back of the gearbox.

Other than that no major differences, the 40 was an update of the 30.

A good 30 is every bit as good as a 40 with a few small mods.

64805719_2345597835532751_4524901041661018112_n.jpg
your new 1 @AYF ?

Sh30 was released in 1979 to 1989 so yes an 1986 machine is possible.

I've two of them, great harvesters for smaller scale farmers, with a few mods they'll fly through grass, lift about 30-35acres on a good day.

Is the flywheel in a 30 smaller than a 40 ? I thought so ?

There was a farmer 10 odd miles away , who bought a "new" 25n from the crowd in Kilkenny years ago . It could have been out for 10 years before he bought it . 25 odd acred a day , picking 9 fts , driven by an MF 3095 . Not used this few years due to lack of help/ more cows milking .

Screenshot_20190620-210701_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190620-210720_Gallery.jpg

New toy landed!
2006 10 blade machine and looks in very good order. Last owner had it 10 years and used it fpr the first 8 of those. Only 200 ish acres a year. Does look well minded. Closer inspection does reveal a few repairs but all look well done. Seems to have old greese in all the right places!!

Landed on a straw wagon so had 3 loaders to lift each 'corner' as it were and drive the wagon out.
Good timing too as the old one swallowed a tine arm off a tedder the other day!

Back