Reseeding

Lads 2 questions I've been asked . 10/10/20 or 18/6/12 as the fert on a reseed job . And should it be rolled or not . Land in question would be very steep in places to very wet in others . Ground was disced and then set with a onepass

Unless soil test is showing mega high P & K levels Id use 10.10.20. I would roll as there would likely be lots of sod around which would make for poor seed/soil contact.

Fertiliser out before the one pass planter goes over it - this will mix in the fertiliser properly.

keep the N away from grass seeds until the grass is up, or only go with tiny amounts. Only think available N will do to a seedbed in the first 30 days is provide easy access N for weeds.

Lads 2 questions I've been asked . 10/10/20 or 18/6/12 as the fert on a reseed job . And should it be rolled or not . Land in question would be very steep in places to very wet in others . Ground was disced and then set with a onepass
10-10-20 has the best supply of P and K so I'd go with that. Also I'd definitely roll it, an old saying around here was that a field should be firm enough to ride a bike across it before you sow grass, roll it without compacting the headlands if possible.
MF30

Ground was seeded today so fert going on , on top of the finished bed . Was leaning towards the 10/10/20 myself as this land I'd say hardly got bag fert in the past never mind slurry. On the rolling would always roll any we'd do ourselves. But I'd say rolling this isn't been pushed because no one wants the job of it .
Unless soil test is showing mega high P & K levels Id use 10.10.20. I would roll as there would likely be lots of sod around which would make for poor seed/soil contact.

Fertiliser out before the one pass planter goes over it - this will mix in the fertiliser properly.

10-10-20 has the best supply of P and K so I'd go with that. Also I'd definitely roll it, an old saying around here was that a field should be firm enough to ride a bike across it before you sow grass, roll it without compacting the headlands if possible.
MF30

i sprayed ground for docks and other broad leaved weeds this evening lots of bare places, ground has benn sowed with fert about 2 weeks ago, how soon after spraying mcpa/24d product could I stitch in a patching mix, it is silage ground

Ground was seeded today so fert going on , on top of the finished bed . Was leaning towards the 10/10/20 myself as this land I'd say hardly got bag fert in the past never mind slurry. On the rolling would always roll any we'd do ourselves. But I'd say rolling this isn't been pushed because no one wants the job of it .

Personally I don't like rolling reseeds because if you get a heavy shower after the water will run quicker on the top and wash the soil away, if it isn't rolled there is more soakage

Spraying a reclaimed bog with Glyphosate, it had rape in it and going to be reseeded.
IMG_20180512_163550.jpg
IMG_20180512_163517.jpg
IMG_20180512_163537.jpg

We have a neighbour that does some contract work for us - drawing bales, hedgecutting and digger work. He has a new alstrong auctus. Anyone got experience of using them for reseeding? We have a few acres of old meadow that I would like to reseed at the back end. Would the auctus be a good job for reseeding a sprayed off grass ley?

I have looked at them before.
Impressive looking yoke andn i presume it will do the job.my seed supplier tells me someone bought one a while ago and was trying to sell it again as it wasn't working out well

I have looked at them before.
Impressive looking yoke andn i presume it will do the job.my seed supplier tells me someone bought one a while ago and was trying to sell it again as it wasn't working out well

There's another lad beside us with one of them too. He's the lad with the self propelled slurry tanker and injector that got a lot of features on the journal a few years back. Saw some reseeding during the week that he did last back end and it turned out very well. I think it might be a good option for us.

I think lime is very important in any of these direct drilling situations, you need to get it close to being right before spraying off and then spread a ton or so after spraying off.
Why do you say it needs to be near right before spraying off?
Will the lime not improve the soil ph fast enough?
Gran lime is supposed to be fast acting.
I have had a couple of bad jobs over the years where lime wasn't spread. I always recommend it though.
A teagasc man told me once that if u had real lime spread in the previous 12 mths it would do .

Why do you say it needs to be near right before spraying off?
Will the lime not improve the soil ph fast enough?
Gran lime is supposed to be fast acting.
I have had a couple of bad jobs over the years where lime wasn't spread. I always recommend it though.
A teagasc man told me once that if u had real lime spread in the previous 12 mths it would do .
The direct drillers will know better, but it is to do with the old sod rotting causing transient acidity and a ton of lime close to sowing solves this to a degree.

The direct drillers will know better, but it is to do with the old sod rotting causing transient acidity and a ton of lime close to sowing solves this to a degree.
I understand that completely and that's why I always advise lime.
I was just wondering what you meant might be a problem if you didn't have the ph near right before spraying off

I understand that completely and that's why I always advise lime.
I was just wondering what you meant might be a problem if you didn't have the ph near right before spraying off
I think that even with the ph being right an application of lime shortly before sowing is a big help. The direct drillers will know more.

A dose of lime will be on the surface. Where the rotting thatch is. So will nutralise the acidity before it hits the seeds.

I always recon a few extra kg of seed can't go amiss in that kind of situatiin? You'r saving on other things so...

Never put lime out on land here and ph is above 6 on every sampe very time. Limestone land i suppose
Send some of ur land this way! Spread 100t here the last two weeks. Dont do that much every year mind you. But got a free soil sample on 20 fields so doing something about it!

Send some of ur land this way! Spread 100t here the last two weeks. Dont do that much every year mind you. But got a free soil sample on 20 fields so doing something about it!
Crazy high ph on almost all the ground here. Don't know if we've ever had a sample come back with lime required

Never put lime out on land here and ph is above 6 on every sampe very time. Limestone land i suppose

Crazy high ph on almost all the ground here. Don't know if we've ever had a sample come back with lime required

Ye are lucky lads. The last soil test done here 2 years ago stated that we needed to spread 10 ton to the acre to correct pH. We spread 2 ton per acre and it crowned some fields and ruined a few and left them very soft. I had a thread about a lime spreader last year for the simple reason that I believe the best way forward for us is half a ton per acre every 12 to 18 months. Lime has increased my grass growth by 30% over the last 2 years and decreased the amount of fertilizer that I need by 20%. But I certainly believe that for heavy land, shallow soils or boggy land, the key to lime is small and often. Most lads around here don't spread any at all. 17 in our discussion group and only 2 of us have spread lime in the last 10 years.

are you certain its Calcium is your issue for Ph dropping? thats a big offtake each year. think about 300kgs was offtake for Wwheat per ac
Yes. Neighbour who grows a lot of maize and beet reckons from near 10 years annual testing that he is dropping near 1 tonne of lime per year. Urea, lots of slurry and high rainfall may be the culprits

Back