Reseeding

While we are talking about grey use of fert by intensive dairy and tillage farming. I think we should be careful what we put online. We are going to lose most if not all our N directive derogation, and claiming N or P use that look hard to square with the very relaxed rules we have compared to France or the Netherlands, could be used as a stick to beat us with.

Applied for a new well pump here with County council grant and they tested water and i need to put in a Nitrogen filter which would suggest over use of Nitrogen on land or am i wrong. Could see those council tests been used as part of reasoning to reduce bag N application.

Applied for a new well pump here with County council grant and they tested water and i need to put in a Nitrogen filter which would suggest over use of Nitrogen on land or am i wrong. Could see those council tests been used as part of reasoning to reduce bag N application.

We pump water here from a small river running along the edge of my farm. After a dry period last year, one morning I turned on the kitchen tap and the smell of the water was horrendous. Went a half mile up stream and took and N sample and at also at my extraction point, and the difference was 25mg per Litre of Nitrite. Just one farmer above me who is found of the bag. Water was perfect within 24 hrs. If I was an awkward person I could easily make hassle for another man with those results. We are going

Grass and cereals are two different crops, if .... when ..... cereal becomes a Perennial.... I wonder how little N you will get away with. Good crop of WW could be topping out at over 15t of DM per Ha.

Grassland lads are along way behind the curve for N efficiency. Only 20% of the N they/we apply turns into extra grass. If you told that to a fool, they would quickly say you were the idiot
This pddk was grazed 50 days ago, it got 30 units of urea after grazing and 40 more 14 days ago.
You say I grew 1200 kgs of DM with 8 units of urea?

Attachments

• 20200406_112655.jpg
    20200406_112655.jpg
    507.8 KB · Views: 163
This pddk was grazed 50 days ago, it got 30 units of urea after grazing and 40 more 14 days ago.
You say I grew 1200 kgs of DM with 8 units of urea?
If we are to believe what we are told, yes. You would also have some element of organic N assuming you apply slurry/fym over last 12 months and a bit from N fixing bacteria which maybe present. What has ground growing in kgs/dm/ha that got no fertiliser?

*I have asked for clarification on this 21% efficiency of N for grass, as I think it lost in translation along the line.

If we are to believe what we are told, yes. You would also have some element of organic N assuming you apply slurry/fym over last 12 months and a bit from N fixing bacteria which maybe present. What has ground growing in kgs/dm/ha that got no fertiliser?

*I have asked for clarification on this 21% efficiency of N for grass, as I think it lost in translation along the line.
Some return on 8 units though:laugh:

While we are talking about grey use of fert by intensive dairy and tillage farming. I think we should be careful what we put online. We are going to lose most if not all our N directive derogation, and claiming N or P use that look hard to square with the very relaxed rules we have compared to France or the Netherlands, could be used as a stick to beat us with.
Maybe we should asking do we need to be getting 16 t/ ha. Is our milk totally safe to drink at these levels, or the ground water for that matter?

Grass and cereals are two different crops, if .... when ..... cereal becomes a Perennial.... I wonder how little N you will get away with. Good crop of WW could be topping out at over 15t of DM per Ha.

The average DM of a winter wheat crop in Ireland at GS87 is 22.2 tonnes DM/ha.

Comparing crops by DM yield alone does not tell the complete story, Nitrogen uptake, utilisation and residual Nitrogen all play a major role in determining the optimum N application rate for any particular crop, not to mention soil and climatic factors.

Comparing crops by DM yield alone does not tell the complete story, Nitrogen uptake, utilisation and residual Nitrogen all play a major role in determining the optimum N application rate for any particular crop, not to mention soil and climatic factors.
didnt think it would lose that much weight in DM at ripening,

Dairy herd can’t keep on top of grass here. First round will be finished tomorrow. Second round covers pushing 1400.

Got 46 units of urea in March....2019. (Not a typo!).

Dairy herd can’t keep on top of grass here. First round will be finished tomorrow. Second round covers pushing 1400.

Got 46 units of urea in March....2019. (Not a typo!).

majority of Irish grass farmers will say thats not possible. Its very possible, and we need to get onto this page on how we do this quite fast.

majority of Irish grass farmers will say thats not possible. Its very possible, and we need to get onto this page on how we do this quite fast.
Right so tell us how much grass you're growing. You are forever telling us you have no growth.

In your opinion how do we do it? Slurry, dung, reseeding more often, lime?

I think its a mixture of many different aspects, rooting depth for me has to be number one, as we are on very shallow soil that can dry out quickly. take slurry for example, the nitrogen loss from it is huge and very little work is been done on treating the actual product. All the research was done along the line of iron and application methods, and us hauling around a product that is 95% water. crazy stuff

The most that I can get would be 15t/ha plus the stubble. Five year average. 8.5t wheat and 6.5t of straw. All sub 15% moisture and weighed.
That’s on my best wheat ground after a break crop.
The majority of the chaff is also baled.

Right so tell us how much grass you're growing. You are forever telling us you have no growth.

im sitting around the 12 - 13t at the moment, was growing a good bit more in the past but wasnt happy with animal performance. On a normal year my demand is around 15.5t per ac, but I prefer to make up the short fall with renting short term grazing, grazing cover crops, buying standing feed. This year I reckon my demand will be about 13/14t per ha with reduced animal numbers

The most that I can get would be 15t/ha plus the stubble. Five year average. 8.5t wheat and 6.5t of straw. All sub 15% moisture and weighed.
That’s on my best wheat ground after a break crop.
The majority of the chaff is also baled.
A multi year trial conducted across the main growing wheat areas of Ireland. This suggests that the stubble left behind accounts for a significant proportion of the stem biomass which may explain some of the difference.

Attachments

• IMG_0528.PNG
    IMG_0528.PNG
    799.8 KB · Views: 120
A multi year trial conducted across the main growing wheat areas of Ireland. This suggests that the stubble left behind accounts for a significant proportion of the stem biomass which may explain some of the difference.

would never have taught we were leaving about 1t of DM per acre in the stubble.

Irrigated maize will, in a good year, do around 22t+ here. The grain would be up to 14-15t of that. I would have thought that there would be a much higher biomass in maize than wheat.

On looking closer at that graph it indicates grain yield of 14t. It’s a fair 5/10yr average to achieve...I would suggest almost impossible...(corrected to 14-15% moisture).
Out of interest do you fertilise with artificial fertilizer sufficiently for 22t in wwheat every year?

Last edited:
Back