Restore of my Massey 35 - Variance Questions

Hi,
First time poster and to be honest its for some help!

I have only ever owned 35's I had a X from my grandfather and my dad bought a 35 about 10 years ago and we wanted to "tart" it up a bit.

I have so many questions about the difference between the two but the main one we currently have is the side pieces on the bonnet. we got new ones and they are longer than the originals. Anyone know why? is this a bonnet issue or a part issue?

I am guessing its a 4 cylinder v 3 cylinder issue?

Whiel I am here I might as well throw in a few other questions.

When or what model did the hole for a crank handle stop?
I see some tractors have exhaust on left or right why is this and when did it change?
What year did the air intake come out the bonnet?
Why are people using while exhausts now on restos?

Many thanks!

Yes the bonnets are different between the 4cyl and the 3 cyl the new bonnets arent a perfect fit for any of them unfortunately, the starting handle hole should be in all the bonnets from start to the last of the 35Xs . exhausts , 4 cyl on the right 3cyl on the left. Air intake stack is a wee bit vague the first year ? of the 3cyl tractors had the intake under the bonnet the same as the 4 cylinders . I take you mean white exhausts ,the original exhausts were a sand textured slightly off white colour black exhausts didnt appear till the 500s came out in 1977 personally I hate to see a black exhaust on a 35, 65, or a 100 series but thats just me being pedantic :laugh: hope that helps.

There is a 35x at home l think 1964 or 5. Originally had white exhaust on LHS and air dome through the bonnet.
All the ones l ve ever seen have the starting handle hole.
Great little tractors IMO but some around here say that only the " x " was any good.

WOW! I have spent years talking to guys at shows and none one could tell me what you guys have told me in one night amazing!

Many thanks for the bonnet we will look at sourcing new 3 cylinder ones.

The starting handle always confused me as with the amount of different parts it can make the grill loose or look like its wrong. Strange the later model would have the crank......

I just asked about the white as here locally (N.Ireland) the last 2 years all restos are coming with white exhausts and I had never seen it.

Do any of you have any recommendations for online shops that you have purchased from? Ebay is a bit of a crap shoot

WOW! I have spent years talking to guys at shows and none one could tell me what you guys have told me in one night amazing!

Many thanks for the bonnet we will look at sourcing new 3 cylinder ones.

The starting handle always confused me as with the amount of different parts it can make the grill loose or look like its wrong. Strange the later model would have the crank......

I just asked about the white as here locally (N.Ireland) the last 2 years all restos are coming with white exhausts and I had never seen it.

Do any of you have any recommendations for online shops that you have purchased from? Ebay is a bit of a crap shoot
@marlyman did point u rite at spot

Back