Rotations

C

Cork

Do you guys have any organized rotation or not? As in thinking 4-5 years ahead all the time?

Operate different rotations on different blocks here. One block has been wosr/wb/wb/wb/wosr with the past 10yrs.

Another has been the same except with spring barley.

Trials land is generally wosr/ww/sb/wb/wosr.

Spring beans may feature more depending how prices hold up. Thinking about sbeans/cereal/cereal/wosr/cereal/cereal/sbeans.

All cereals are either seed or malting.

Kind of!! Since 2006 osr has had the pick and others fitted in around that. Different fields/blocks vary a bit but in a nutshell osr, ww,wb,sp b, maize,ww,osr. Now that's in the perfect world, maize sometimes goes in instead of sp barley but generally the field only gets type of crop and it changes the following year. 2 crops of sp barley may slip in but that's only if it's not suitable for somthing else. I feel that things have improved a lot in the last 5-7 years with rotating everything and anything as muck features for maize and osr. The osr gap is allways 5-6 years no less yet anyway. I may add wb featured after maize this year for first time, drilled 31st October and by god I'm delighted with it

WOSR/WW/WB/BNS/WW/WB
Sometimes drop one of the winter barley and go back to a five year rotation, have a new block which wouldn't be wheaten ground so still undecided about rotation on that

Have Sbeans ww ww woats ww here. Find the wheat after oats was doing better than the wheat after beans so 180 units on all the wheat this year instead of 150 after beans. Also the wheat after beans is for seed. Not sure its worth the hassle though. Have continuous wb on another block

Do you guys have any organized rotation or not? As in thinking 4-5 years ahead all the time?

Operate different rotations on different blocks here. One block has been wosr/wb/wb/wb/wosr with the past 10yrs.

Another has been the same except with spring barley.

Trials land is generally wosr/ww/sb/wb/wosr.

Spring beans may feature more depending how prices hold up. Thinking about sbeans/cereal/cereal/wosr/cereal/cereal/sbeans.

All cereals are either seed or malting.

Rotations here are a bit more fluid, but I would like your last rotation but thought that beans and Oilseed had to be kept further apart?

Rotations here are a bit more fluid, but I would like your last rotation but thought that beans and Oilseed had to be kept further apart?

I need to suss out the last rotation a bit more. Spring beans and wosr are effected by the same species of Sclerotinia (winter beans are different), the rotation still might be ok though.

Controlling vol oilseed rape in beans isn't much fun.

You can get volunteer s rape in beans and they take over. Seen them in a field of sbeans that last s rape 7 year previously yield was poor and sample was bad full of rape seeds admixture. Winter rapes seeds don't seem to survive as long in the ground

I need to suss out the last rotation a bit more. Spring beans and wosr are effected by the same species of Sclerotinia (winter beans are different), the rotation still might be ok though.

Controlling vol oilseed rape in beans isn't much fun.

Don't think it's a problem of any concern, spring beans are not as susceptible to sclerotinia as say peas so are rarely effected themselves, the fact that you are going to be applying at least one fungicide for sclerotinia in rape anyway unless it's virgin ground I don't think your increasing the risk to the rape crop anymore than growing rape every 1 in 4 or 5 years, as far as I know this is the only disease that effects both crops, all other root and soil borne disease are different for the two crops. Keeping crops of beans 5 or 6 years apart is important though.

In terms of vol rape, a high rate of pendemethlin in the pre em helps, follows by a split dose application of basagran post em, use 1/6 rate mixed with veg oil when weeds are cotelydeon stage and good growth conditions( scorchy conditions best) followed 10 days later with 1/6 rate plus oil again, works a treat on vol rape and gives reasonable control on any weeds that get through pre em spray

Don't think it's a problem of any concern, spring beans are not as susceptible to sclerotinia as say peas so are rarely effected themselves, the fact that you are going to be applying at least one fungicide for sclerotinia in rape anyway unless it's virgin ground I don't think your increasing the risk to the rape crop anymore than growing rape every 1 in 4 or 5 years, as far as I know this is the only disease that effects both crops, all other root and soil borne disease are different for the two crops. Keeping crops of beans 5 or 6 years apart is important though.

In terms of vol rape, a high rate of pendemethlin in the pre em helps, follows by a split dose application of basagran post em, use 1/6 rate mixed with veg oil when weeds are cotelydeon stage and good growth conditions( scorchy conditions best) followed 10 days later with 1/6 rate plus oil again, works a treat on vol rape and gives reasonable control on any weeds that get through pre em spray

Agreed, I think the sclerotinia risk is low and both crops should benefit in many ways from such a wide gap. Cereals should like it too. A rate of pdm needs to be beyond the legal rate in beans to get adequate control. Basagran works but isn't cheap even at 1/6th rate.

Agreed, I think the sclerotinia risk is low and both crops should benefit in many ways from such a wide gap. Cereals should like it too. A rate of pdm needs to be beyond the legal rate in beans to get adequate control. Basagran works but isn't cheap even at 1/6th rate.

Yes it's saucy enough roughly €10 for each pass, but it's the only option and you will have vol rape even if it's a good few years since the field grew rape

I used some spray this year on corn with a sticker which when i read on the can was rape seed oil. Would it be possible to use rape seed oil from the guys that do the pressing in Adamstown as a sticker, open question to all of you.

I used some spray this year on corn with a sticker which when i read on the can was rape seed oil. Would it be possible to use rape seed oil from the guys that do the pressing in Adamstown as a sticker, open question to all of you.

Honest answer is I don't know but the oil is the cheapest part of the mixture, used biosyl oil the second split this year as the pre em worked very poorly with the dry conditions after application and there was a number of weeds that basagran wouldn't be that strong on (fumitory etc.)

Probably would work but would one be bothered?

I have a forage rape and turnip cover crop sowed into w wheat stubble .Land in tillage a long no. of years .
I want to sow a spring break crop . Does the forage rape rule out sowing sosr?

I have a forage rape and turnip cover crop sowed into w wheat stubble .Land in tillage a long no. of years .
I want to sow a spring break crop . Does the forage rape rule out sowing sosr?

Would you have grown brassicas much in the past?

Unless you’ve been growing brassica fodder crops frequently in the land then I’d say you’d be fine.
If it was WOSR, it would be in the ground from August till August anyway.

Grass, WW, WW, WO, SB then either SB, oats or grass again. Tried osr a few times and it's still growing back!

@CORK, for us mere mortals who didn't do Ag Science or Biology, can you put in layman's terms the Latin(?) words there? :Thumbp2:

Sorry Nash, it should have been clearer.

Basically, they were discussing the issue of aphids that are resistant to the current sprays. It’s all the more important with the loss of Deter.

They have shown that where a cereal crop is followed by a cereal crop, the chances of having resistant aphids in the second crop are much higher. I’m assuming that this is for winter cereals.

Interestingly too, over the years 16, 17 & 18, the percentage of aphids in the population that were resistant to the sprays seemed to be reducing. The view is that this was the effect of Deter which was also controlling the resistant aphids. Of course the worry now is that this trend will reverse.

Back