Rusty plough

Surely we are overlooking some product here in this day and age that will remove rust without resorting to the angle grinder which i think is madness to be doing that to a board of a plough.

Do some people use molasses to remove rust?

Oil overnight is a bit overkill imo. I'd have no bother letting a plough sit for a week outside with nothing on the boards. One swipe down the field and any surface rust is gone. I did once and only once leave a plough all winter with nothing on the boards and did I get hardship the following spring cleaning them up. I haven't let it happen since thats for sure :sweat:.
I just keep it in the shed never put anything on them and they might have a slight touch of rust spots come the spring .
my old man was a f%%$$##for not putting anything on the boards and then spending all day on and off the seat to scrape the soil off as it was bulldozing :curse:
Ffs it takes 5 minutes and .6l of waxoyl to cover the plough boards 2x and they stay like mirrors

my old man was a f%%$$##for not putting anything on the boards and then spending all day on and off the seat to scrape the soil off as it was bulldozing :curse:
Ffs it takes 5 minutes and .6l of waxoyl to cover the plough boards 2x and they stay like mirrors
I know what it's like cleaning rusty boards hc. I use grease as I have found it stays put for a long time whereas oil is gone in a few showers.

Surely we are overlooking some product here in this day and age that will remove rust without resorting to the angle grinder which i think is madness to be doing that to a board of a plough.
the biggest problem with a plough board thats very rusty is the surface pitting which will inhibit the smooth flow of soil
so even if you did chemically remove the rust you still wont have the shine

As found in many Claas tractors.....
Yes but the Class tractors have the Class head gasket, which as we all know is much better than the John Deere one! ( but to be honest Im not sure if its in them from new or if its a replacement piece, 4cyl not too bad so not too worried)

Back