Seeds to Saplings

Discussion in 'Forestry' started by Lit, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Lit

Lit New Member

I have a large mixture of native tree seeds coming in the post as and I'm just wondering is there anyone out there that want to share how to get the seeds to saplings in the most lean and productive way as I have no experience with growing trees however I would be quite 'green fingered'.

Any information (Do's and Don'ts) from experts would be appreciated.
    Pictures of greenhouses/tunnels used for this purpose are also appreciated as I yet to put up permanent infrastructure of my own.

Note: Irish climate, the variety of seeds I am starting with are Beech, Laurel, Leylandii, Ash, Blackthorn, Nordman Fir.

Also whats the story with DAFM do I look into this even though I haven't materialised the seeds yet?

Thanks!

2. candor

candor Moderator/IT Guy

I would start them out in these:

[​IMG]

You can get a crate to sit them in and the roots will air trim themselves and not get root bound whilst your thinking off where to plant them.

You can grow them outside or are you trying to do this in a commercial sense?

3. Lit

Lit New Member

thanks! never seen these before do know where they can be bought?

Commercial is the goal however I don't want to put too much money into poly-tunnels etc. until I get to know my way with them.
    Instead of a polytunnell I was thinking of using old rotten 8x4x4 straw bales, 1 bale deep and make a box out of them and line the inside with black polythene which should attract the heat, then use perspex or clear polythene on top should be a cost effective alternative..