Sexed semen

I have very good fertility here 371 day calving interval in a liquid milk herd. I got about 75% in calf to sexed of what it was used on.. I wouldn't be using a massive amount of it but the way fr bulls went this year it could be useful. Would want to be ordering it soon enough for this year
started ai today and ordered some sexed semen for the first 10 days, 68 euro approx for first timers and only 3 fr bulls available now at the moment so i,d say you,re right about getting the orders in, over 400 days calving interval here but the reason i,m going to try it is a ratio of 3 bulls to 1 fr heifer

Ch and sim of little Jersey cross's this year and never used the Jack.
All bulls with good calving %
really surprised that is the case as i thought with their small frame they would have difficulty calving continentals, live and learn every day

really surprised that is the case as i thought with their small frame they would have difficulty calving continentals, live and learn every day

Calves still come small and won't command good prices....but they are salable unlike the Angus of the crossbreeds

started ai today and ordered some sexed semen for the first 10 days, 68 euro approx for first timers and only 3 fr bulls available now at the moment so i,d say you,re right about getting the orders in, over 400 days calving interval here but the reason i,m going to try it is a ratio of 3 bulls to 1 fr heifer
had pg rep here this morning there's actually a few more sexed bulls than what's marked in the catalogue. I ordered some fr4600, fr 4545 and fr 4688 sexed. Will take about a fortnight for delivery

I asked my AI man about it a couple of years ago .
"Would you sooner the cow calved , milking and take your chances on a bull or a heifer , or a far greater chance of her slipping 3 weeks , and still maybe no heifer ?" .

I did the trial scheme last year for the sexed semen. Some bulls no cows held sexed or not sexed. I did get heifer calves and must look back through the records to see what I got.

Back