Shear grab .

bk1991

I know its a bit early in the year to be looking at theese but last year i had the pit going off and heating cause i wasnt useing the face quick enough and tine grab doesnt seal the pit at all . I was thinking that a shear grab would help to save. Waste and also time spent cleaning waste silage . We currently have 4ft rosmore tine grab on the ih 475 that done all feeding even thoug i think grab is a bit big on it i do only half fill it .

I was thinking it would be a good idea to buy new shear grab over second hand and with good minding etc it would last a good while . Tine grab is here since 2003 i have to put a few wear strips under it but other wise perfect .

I like the look of the prodig one . Whats your opinions ? I thinkthe quickie q940 on the case cs 94 would handle a 4ft shear grab ok

I know its a bit early in the year to be looking at theese but last year i had the pit going off and heating cause i wasnt useing the face quick enough and tine grab doesnt seal the pit at all . I was thinking that a shear grab would help to save. Waste and also time spent cleaning waste silage . We currently have 4ft rosmore tine grab on the ih 475 that done all feeding even thoug i think grab is a bit big on it i do only half fill it .

I was thinking it would be a good idea to buy new shear grab over second hand and with good minding etc it would last a good while . Tine grab is here since 2003 i have to put a few wear strips under it but other wise perfect .

I like the look of the prodig one . Whats your opinions ? I thinkthe quickie q940 on the case cs 94 would handle a 4ft shear grab ok
4ft twose grab here will put 450kg of silage into the wagon at once. 500 of wet stuff from the bottom of the pit.

The prodig is a heavy grab on top of that. The jd 115r has a bit of a sway with the twose grab up top! And that isn't heavy. But is well built. New set of tines last year after nearly 10 years and still cuts like new

4ft twose grab here will put 450kg of silage into the wagon at once. 500 of wet stuff from the bottom of the pit.

The prodig is a heavy grab on top of that. The jd 115r has a bit of a sway with the twose grab up top! And that isn't heavy. But is well built. New set of tines last year after nearly 10 years and still cuts like new

Yea the prodig looks heavy alright im likeing the tines with replacment weldable tips . Shear grabs are heavy anyhow arnt they ?

What are the half blade ones like ? The ones with out the full plate across front i wonder .

Contact http://irishengineeringproducts.ie/ they're going making shear grabs, couldn't hurt to see what the price is like compared to others

Will trow them a bell to see :-) i did see there buckets on done deal .

Id say it will be near national ploughing champs before i buy but just foward thinking

Ive just gone back to using a clamp I last used at Christmas,due to using the shear grab the face had possibly an 1" of waste.

Reactions: AYF

I have a Conor 4'4" on the JD, 100hp and she manages away fine but only a short distance to the feeding area.

Bought the Conor second hand a few years ago and she is a heavy grab but I'm very happy with her. Not full blade either so good visibility when cleaning out sheds as well.

Yes, that tractor and loader will be fine with that size of shear grab, I think that loader is also self levelling which is a nice addition when using a shear grab, my Quicke shear grab has been on the go since 1989, it's had the tine frame rebushed and a set of ram seals and a set of tines, it's what you describe as the half blade (open at the front and sides) but the usual place for silage to drop off is from underneath the block, when using it i drive into the pit then press down with the loader so the weight of the tractor is helping to hold it steady then close it fully, open it slightly then lift out the block.

Johnston's make a fine shear grab. They'll recon it when it wears a bit in 15 years time too. Find they make a great tight face and stay sharp longer than others however they do it

I really want one of their meal feeders, hate messing around with bags but it's around 3k new so I'll be having to write to Santa later on.

If i could find a kinda of diet feeder mixer bucket it would be good . We have one shead thats tight it woulnt fit a feeder . And then other one is a dead end . Im hopefully trying to reconfigure one shead il be posting about that soon .

Yes, that tractor and loader will be fine with that size of shear grab, I think that loader is also self levelling which is a nice addition when using a shear grab, my Quicke shear grab has been on the go since 1989, it's had the tine frame rebushed and a set of ram seals and a set of tines, it's what you describe as the half blade (open at the front and sides) but the usual place for silage to drop off is from underneath the block, when using it i drive into the pit then press down with the loader so the weight of the tractor is helping to hold it steady then close it fully, open it slightly then lift out the block.

Ye i was thinking of quickie too if its anything to go by the loader they make it will be a good job .

i have a mckenna 4ft and a redrock 4ft 6in and the mckenna is a much better grab in everyway , the mckenna has the straight blade while the redrock has serrated blades, 100hp tractor handles both no bother but the redrock is a heavier grab

Ye i was thinking of quickie too if its anything to go by the loader they make it will be a good job .
If you look at a Quicke make sure it has tapered bushes where the tine fit as they used only have a hole in each side of the box section which is no good as the tines will loosen and it will eventually have to be bushed, maybe they are using bushes now.

i have a mckenna 4ft and a redrock 4ft 6in and the mckenna is a much better grab in everyway , the mckenna has the straight blade while the redrock has serrated blades, 100hp tractor handles both no bother but the redrock is a heavier grab

Is a straight blade a better blade ?

If you look at a Quicke make sure it has tapered bushes where the tine fit as they used only have a hole in each side of the box section which is no good as the tines will loosen and it will eventually have to be bushed, maybe they are using bushes now.

I didnt think quickie would have made them like that . Very bad design if no bushes in place for tines just looking for trouble when they loosed and wear

I didnt think quickie would have made them like that . Very bad design if no bushes in place for tines just looking for trouble when they loosed and wear

We had a quickee muck grab like that. I think it was a cost saving phase! They lost a customer here!!

I distinctly remember the dealer persuading us the bushes were in the box!

straight blade is better here anyway, dry second cut and i had to stop using the redrock in favour of the mckenna but in the first cut the redrock was ok

Have a look at a shear bucket. They seem to be a good enough job. Some of them will split a bale and retain the plastic and net.

Have a look at a shear bucket. They seem to be a good enough job. Some of them will split a bale and retain the plastic and net.
They are a good bit heavier than a shear grab, from the few I have seen I'd prefer to have them on an industrial loader as the have a straight edge as opposed to tines so take a fair push into the pit face, big rams to close them would need a decent oil flow to close it fairly quick, I do like the fact that what you have in the grab will be retained with no loss traveling around a yard whereas the tine or shear grab tends to drop a bit of stuff, a bit dearer than a shear grab too.

Reactions: KJL
Back