7 to acre . Now all we need is to stay dry till xmas

Attachments

• IMG_20180809_191241.jpg
    IMG_20180809_191241.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 114
949054FC-BEF6-4E2C-AFBA-CC80DE230939.jpeg
2FCFD2F0-1C98-47D4-AF30-F5DBB9E08D21.jpeg
3287F73F-2B46-440B-90BC-C04F755F3C37.jpeg

Le Quattro westerwolds from Goldcrop set the 25th and 26th of July after winter barley. Disced once, 2500 gallons of slurry spread by @ShaneB140 ’s crew, disced again, seed spread by bogballe spreader and rolled with paddle roller with paddles down very slightly. It got 35 units of Sul can at sowing and 1.5 bags of 24-2.5-10+s today. I’ll have to spray weeds next week as there is a lot of vol rape and charlock. This is step 1 to get us out of the fodder crisis mess, so far all going to plan. Harvest some time in October and see what happens after that then, into open maize next may so I’ll get use from it again once or twice in the spring

I picked up my second cut today. Im back on a few acres as I had to graze some of the aftergrass. Last year this was cut a month earlier and each field had a wagon load less on it compared to last year. I wouldnt like to have to pay someone to cut what was on it.

:sweat:
View attachment 57736
I heard of a man clearing ground that was supposed to be 2nd cut in the hope of it pushing a cut if it got rain and a fresh start, 5 acres to fill a 20' trailer.

I picked up my second cut today. Im back on a few acres as I had to graze some of the aftergrass. Last year this was cut a month earlier and each field had a wagon load less on it compared to last year. I wouldnt like to have to pay someone to cut what was on it.

:sweat:
View attachment 57736

We baled 9 acres of ground that we have rented off a neighbour this day 3 weeks ago. It had 48 bales of good dry grass. It was cut high because the slurry that was spread in mid June was still visible at the root. Walked it yesterday and when we do the last of our second cut in a week or 2, we will cut the regrowth. It is 8 inches tall.

We baled 9 acres of ground that we have rented off a neighbour this day 3 weeks ago. It had 48 bales of good dry grass. It was cut high because the slurry that was spread in mid June was still visible at the root. Walked it yesterday and when we do the last of our second cut in a week or 2, we will cut the regrowth. It is 8 inches tall.

Back buying silage next week for immediate feeding, if I go at my Mickey mouse pit of silage it will be gone before winter starts. Funny old year :laugh:

Back buying silage next week for immediate feeding, if I go at my Mickey mouse pit of silage it will be gone before winter starts. Funny old year :laugh:
Its such a contrast. We are here worrying that if there comes a week of rain then the place will be in sh1te and we will have to house some cows and start feeding silage and on the other hand you guys are facing the prospect of having to feed silage if you don't get a week of rain.

Its such a pity that in order for you guys in the south and east to have enough moisture, we have to have a wash out.

Seems to be a massive north south divide, I'm in the north west and struggling to get 2 dry days together to cut second cut. Grass is v wet but ground is holding up v well. Meadows are averaging 10 bales per acre +.

Its such a contrast. We are here worrying that if there comes a week of rain then the place will be in sh1te and we will have to house some cows and start feeding silage and on the other hand you guys are facing the prospect of having to feed silage if you don't get a week of rain.

Its such a pity that in order for you guys in the south and east to have enough moisture, we have to have a wash out.

Have no pity for us hoors, we win allot more than lads on wet lad. Every dog has its day:fight:. Money will buy us out of our issues.

Seems to be a massive north south divide, I'm in the north west and struggling to get 2 dry days together to cut second cut. Grass is v wet but ground is holding up v well. Meadows are averaging 10 bales per acre +.
2mm of rain at Shannon airport last night . 18mm at knock airport last night .

Hoping to cut 10 acres of second cut this evening or tomorrow morning in galway for baling on saturday morning. At this stage, it's just dry cow feed. It got slurry on June 11th and Can on June 18th. It had done really well up to July 1st, but didn't grow at all from July 1st to August 7th. This last 3 weeks it has come on really well and has a thick heavy butt. We will get it wrapped up and it will increase our bulk.

After that we have 15 acres left to cut at home. It got slurry on July 8th and 2 bags of can to the acre. We could risk leaving it to bulk up for another 2 weeks, but it might be best to try to get it home safe when the weather is dry.

Hoping to cut 10 acres of second cut this evening or tomorrow morning in galway for baling on saturday morning. At this stage, it's premium feed. It got slurry on June 11th and Can on June 18th. It had done really well up to July 1st, but didn't grow at all from July 1st to August 7th. This last 3 weeks it has come on really well and has a thick heavy butt. We will get it wrapped up and it will increase our bulk.

After that we have 15 acres left to cut at home. It got slurry on July 8th and 2 bags of can to the acre. We could risk leaving it to bulk up for another 2 weeks, but it might be best to try to get it home safe when the weather is dry.

no such thing, as dry cow feed this year

no such thing, as dry cow feed this year

There is with us. First cut should test out at very good quality. It was cut early, wilted fast and baled solid. Grass that has been growing (or not growing ) for 10 weeks is going to make poor enough quality of silage. It'll be suitable for dry cows unless we buffer it with something to bring up the quality. That's not something that I want to have to do this year. I bought a bin of nuts last week for finishing a few stores and I nearly fell out of my standing when I got the bill for it. It's not a winter for meal feeding in the shed if it can be helped.

Last edited:
Last of the second cut in Leitrim. Glas meadow cut on July 1st. Slurry on July 3rd with dribble bar. It was intended for grazing but by the end of july we realised that grazing was plentyful so it got 2 bags of can to the acre on July 27th and it did well since then. Lovely green grass with a clean sole. The slurry went down well too but we did cut it high this evening.
IMG_20180830_193807.jpg
IMG_20180830_193558.jpg
IMG_20180830_193413.jpg

Baled a good 2nd cut today for a man.
1st cut mid June,idle since.only came good lately.10 bales/acre one field dampish.
Just under 9 on the other one.it was sprayed off for reseeding last Thursday so had reduced well

Have you stopped doing your own silage with the wagon ?
Great job by @laoisfarmer and his team yesterday, 3rd cut in the clamp!!! A bit of measuring to do, but reckon I should have more than enough for the winter now anyway. A few wraps are likely to appear in the next couple of weeks going by the growth rates. Been some mess of a year, but the last 3 weeks have been very good to us.

Great job by @laoisfarmer and his team yesterday, 3rd cut in the clamp!!! A bit of measuring to do, but reckon I should have more than enough for the winter now anyway. A few wraps are likely to appear in the next couple of weeks going by the growth rates. Been some mess of a year, but the last 3 weeks have been very good to us.
I don’t know where you were going to put it if it was any heavier !!!!! #biggerpitfornextyear

There's some muck being cut for baling this week in these parts and beyond. I have seen fields that were 50% rushes cut and baled, fields of old white grass, fields that were neither ate or topped this last few years. Lads would want to be very cautious when buying. The Celtic cow wouldn't want to be fussy of an eater. Dungsteds will be high.

Back