Silage 2019

View attachment 66779Back in action , heavy going.
Well that was short lived...2 hrs in.....:curse::angry::curse:
IMG_20190610_200131.jpg

Is it becoming a more common occurrence with the reduction in help available on farms?
I'm not trying to make excuses, just seems to me that there is a lot being let slip as farms are under more and more pressure.
I couldn't tell you when i saw someone rolling a field.
I told any lad I met that I cut silage for all spring that if there's any Savage tracks in the fields I'll power Harrow and seed them if they let me know.
One lad took me up on my offer.
They can be scratching there heads now when there's stuff left after us

Is it becoming a more common occurrence with the reduction in help available on farms?
I'm not trying to make excuses, just seems to me that there is a lot being let slip as farms are under more and more pressure.

Yea things are getting worse every year. I am mowing for the boss for 10 years this year and year on year it’s getting worse. So little now roll silage fields. If I start hitting stones on back runs I just leave them now. I don’t have time to do the work they should have done in the spring

I make no excuses for a farmer who hasn't had a beast in the field since last year, there is plenty of slack time before cows calve to walk the bounds and around water tanks etc. nobody rolls a field anymore as there seems to be a mindset that we must harvest as many tons/acre as possible and rolling might stunt it a bit, doesn't seem to register that clay in the silage will reduce intake and affect preservation, give a few Euros to a young lad at the weekend to tidy up if you haven't time.
Looks like you better have a word with your mower driver ,anytime i ever heard a stone going trough the mower i would walk trough the stroke and keep pawing the grass until i found it .
Words were had, lot of searching in the strokes after triples.

I make no excuses for a farmer who hasn't had a beast in the field since last year, there is plenty of slack time before cows calve to walk the bounds and around water tanks etc. nobody rolls a field anymore as there seems to be a mindset that we must harvest as many tons/acre as possible and rolling might stunt it a bit, doesn't seem to register that clay in the silage will reduce intake and affect preservation, give a few Euros to a young lad at the weekend to tidy up if you haven't time.
Words were had, lot of searching in the strokes after triples.
Did you have any damage?

On a similar note I know a lad who lost his crop divider on his haybob while rowing up silage for the contractor to bale. Despite walking up and down several rows kicking them he didn't find it....until the following February he found the remains of it at the bottom of a round feeder.
It had gone through the chopper baler and got wrapped. Must've been some clatter passing the knives on the baler.

On a similar note I know a lad who lost his crop divider on his haybob while rowing up silage for the contractor to bale. Despite walking up and down several rows kicking them he didn't find it....until the following February he found the remains of it at the bottom of a round feeder.
It had gone through the chopper baler and got wrapped. Must've been some clatter passing the knives on the baler.
That's nothing I baled the driveshaft up of the tractor I was driving one night at about 4 in the morning

Did you have any damage?
3 hours downtime but got away lucky, it was too big to go into the chopping cylinder just shoved back a ball of knives, doubt I'd be so lucky with a Claas , NH or Krone if it hadn't rockstop, if farmers knew you had rockstop would they do anything to prepare a field, you could be stopping fulltime in some jobs.

Front prop shaft? Did it survive?
Yeah there was no guard on the tm when I got it I was baling a few places that day some very heavy crops grass must have wrapped around it and pulled the circlip off.
Going down a row and the slip clutch went off.
Thought nothing of it just thought there wasn't a massive amount of grass in her dropped the floor and it took it in.
A few days later I wanted the 4wd and nothing happened I went out for a look and the shaft gone.
Got it back when the farmer fed the silage I hadn't a notion where it was

I'd have kept that to myself..:laugh:
I can laugh about it now
3 hours downtime but got away lucky, it was too big to go into the chopping cylinder just shoved back a ball of knives, doubt I'd be so lucky with a Claas , NH or Krone if it hadn't rockstop, if farmers knew you had rockstop would they do anything to prepare a field, you could be stopping fulltime in some jobs.
You don't want to loose 3 hours these days at the same time.
Would you rare up over that?
By right you should charge for the downtime and a set of knives but sure if you do that you'd get the road the following year and it's not like it's the minority aren't checking fields it's the majority

I can laugh about it now

You don't want to loose 3 hours these days at the same time.
Would you rare up over that?
By right you should charge for the downtime and a set of knives but sure if you do that you'd get the road the following year and it's not like it's the minority aren't checking fields it's the majority
3 hours lost is 3 hours lost, fucked up all plans laid for tomorrow, we should have been gone off this job with an hour in the morning, we are now moving needlessly around the roads when we should be working and should have been out of a job tomorrow evening that will now drag into Wednesday, ah it pisses me off, chances are few and far between this past week and to be stopped after 2 hours is bollix.

3 hours lost is 3 hours lost, fucked up all plans laid for tomorrow, we should have been gone off this job with an hour in the morning, we are now moving needlessly around the roads when we should be working and should have been out of a job tomorrow evening that will now drag into Wednesday, ah it pisses me off, chances are few and far between this past week and to be stopped after 2 hours is bollix.
I agree with you someone else's lazyness is costing you money and making shite of the word you gave other lads

I agree with you someone else's lazyness is costing you money and making shite of the word you gave other lads
That's a part of it, have enough to look after without having to make phone calls and explain you wont be there in the morning as promised, housewives don't like making dinner arrangements to have nobody show up 'till late afternoon.

Well that was short lived...2 hrs in.....:curse::angry::curse:View attachment 66785
the memories i have when dad and the neighbours had their forager(s).
remember a few years back that my dad got the forager going but after 3 or 4 hours she was sitting in the yard as the blower unit got seriously messed up. luckily the next morning, a contracting friend of ours was out spraying on the hill across from ours and saw a field not picked up, he offered to finish it off for us after he finished spraying, within a few hours and 5 trailers going (dad got desperate for some reason where 3 wouldve been enough) the pit was covered, we were lucky there i guess

Don't think I could run a trailed or sp, some fields you'd pick a stone every few swarts with the wagon. I've picked a whole arm off a rake, just after putting in sharpened blades. Didn't do any damage to the wagon, lots of steel in the Strautmann.

What type of Harvester is it? Any damage to the mower?

Multitasking here shoving up silage and effluent :scratchhead:

A contractor cut stuff for a neighbour of mine on a very wet day about 3 years ago. It was a very long draw so it sort of suited to work when no one else would dream of picking up .
As a load passed through town , a man was heard saying , " when is the bacon coming ? That.looks just like boiled cabbage."

Back