Very Senior Member
anyone tested their silage yet?
are you frightened or pleased with the results?:001_unsure:

mine is ok,nothing special but they eating it good:thumbup:

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 130
Haven't got mine back yet, but have you noticed sometimes with a medicore result that the silage feeds out better then the results and sometimes with good quality silage on paper at least does not feed out as well.

Haven't got mine back yet, but have you noticed sometimes with a medicore result that the silage feeds out better then the results and sometimes with good quality silage on paper at least does not feed out as well.
used to notice that:thumbup:
first time i tested silage for years here

Would mind testing ours this year, never done it before so would be intresting to see the results.
Anyone know where ya get it done in the northwest? teagasc is it or some lab?

have to agree with u there , my neighbour makes very high quality silage every year but sometimes his cows get stomach problems and he has to feed straw

1st cut haylage 54.3dm, 14cp, 71dmd. Getting the wholecrop and crimp tested soon il post it up when we get it done.

have to agree with u there , my neighbour makes very high quality silage every year but sometimes his cows get stomach problems and he has to feed straw

Is it precision chop, if so thats the problem , displaced stomacks , chopped to short , so he has to feed straw to give them something to chew .

Is it precision chop, if so thats the problem , displaced stomacks , chopped to short , so he has to feed straw to give them something to chew .

its chaff out off a sp , i myself would be a week or two later cutting and i dont have the problems he does have , mine is cut with a trailed precision chop which doesnt be as short as the sp

The silage may be a contributory factor in his problems due to lack of roughage but the main cause is almost certainly to much concentrates being fed in parlour. Once you go beyond 3 kgs per feed your chances of cows developing digestive problems increase rapidly. The straw would certainly help as a source of roughage. Generally feed half kg of straw/day to all animals when housed here.

Going to get this years stemmy stuff tested (only 1 bale open yet - probably on the last of the 2nd by the time I get home).

Also going to get some rocket fuel from last year tested as a comparison.

Not looking forward to doing the comparison :001_unsure:

Yes, definately. Had 80% DMD silage here 2 yrs ago, never again. Dont think we'll be worrying about it being too good this yr.

Is everyone here happy that the testing is accurate? I sometimes wonder......

Yes, definately. Had 80% DMD silage here 2 yrs ago, never again. Dont think we'll be worrying about it being too good this yr.

last year a feed compnay tested ours- they are i the news alot lately:tt2:- anyways results wheren't great and sales rep was selling me meal, minerals etc to make up for the woeful feed i had made.... got them tested independently and surprise surprise the results where alot better, so this year when they offered to sample my silage i declined:thumbup2:

What were the problem`s with the good silage...!

Sound`s like a cow problem there,what kind of cow`s do they have?

Last edited:
Sound like a cow problem there,what kind of cow`s do they have?

or a management of the dry cow diet and her transition into the milking cow diet, feeding 2kg of straw to dry cows to keep that rumen full and bulked up, and 0.5kg to milkers. does this neighbour have a diet feeder mr 4255??

At the end of the day it comes down to management, you have to work with what you got and react accordingly. Lazy/insane to blame the way it was harvesting:whistling:

Have the pit tested, no comment on the result.:whistling:.

last year a feed compnay tested ours- they are i the news alot lately:tt2:- anyways results wheren't great and sales rep was selling me meal, minerals etc to make up for the woeful feed i had made.... got them tested independently and surprise surprise the results where alot better, so this year when they offered to sample my silage i declined:thumbup2:

Ruthless fookers and very poor meal that they sell aswell.

Salesmen in general are my pet hate! Wayy too many different ones coming around/calling up the whole time, all with theirown sales pitch, trying to tell you how to farm etc! I'll decide myself if I've a problem with something on the farm, and need to go out and spend money on it!

Then just trying to get prices out of them, if they just had a catalog with all the prices of whatever, let me take it and look at it myself and decide in myown time, rather than this rubbish of "what are you short etc", then they say they'll do a good deal, look in theirown book and give you a price, but they'll never let ya have a look yourself!

I don't know, it depends, some are mercenaries and can be spotted a mile away. Others know their stuff and are genuine. It's important to ask to right question and use their knowledge. You have to buy the stuff somewhere anyway.

I must live in the middle of nowhere or else considered a miserable ******* or smell or something as I never have salesmen calling

Back