Silage Situation

how long have we been saying that for, could
see quite a few farmers getting very depressed:crying:

Silage ground closed with 90 units N since 6th April and nothing worth talking about on it, put cattle back into some of it today,Teagasc say put out the N , it'll be there when growth comes,well I think it's wasted if I was depending on some of this for next winter, hoping a few other paddocks will go strong by mid may and chuck them in the pit instead, trouble is that's less than 3 weeks away.

Is it time to start destocking,surely ye're not going to keep going the way ye're at the moment,ending up with no winter feed.
Was hopping Coveney would come up with something,probably still listening to teagasc though :001_smile:
Just happened to come by one of the deliveries of hay ,and I think tbh they won't be going far.

Not everyone is overstocked. Milk price is looking very strong and those that can stick it out, will do well this year. By doing well, I mean clear all their bills at best.

First thing Coveney should do is ban all those blasted straw choppers on combines. :whistling:

he was accused of not reacting fast enough but as he said no saw this coming there is suppose to be a ship going to kent to pick up a load of hay to increase the volume of fodder coming in.

anyone who is in trouble should contact the dept or banks and not let pride get in the way

they wont pay the sfp early nor will they stop inspections temporarily.

thats the summary he starts at 1:22 and ffs 3 ads before the programme starts.:thumbdown:
http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10140945/

Last edited:
Grass growing well here on any paddocks that there is good cover on.
Bare paddocks hardly moving at all.
The main problem is ground conditions are poor to say the least,yesterday evening i was optimistic that the weather might be turning but we have had very heavy rain and hail today.
It seems to be teasing us by coming so far and then going back to square one again.

Not everyone is overstocked. Milk price is looking very strong and those that can stick it out, will do well this year. By doing well, I mean clear all their bills at best.

First thing Coveney should do is ban all those blasted straw choppers on combines. :whistling:

Ban choppers? If a grower wants to chop, its his choice. Straw can be such an annoying waste of time in an awkward harvest. When the shoe is on the other foot in a normal year, a lot of livestock guys can be very slow to pay enough for straw.
Nothing more relieving than chopping straw in a wet harvest.

If its economical, a grower won't chop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ban choppers? If a grower wants to chop, its his choice. Straw can be such an annoying waste of time in an awkward harvest. When the shoe is on the other foot in a normal year, a lot of livestock guys can be very slow to pay enough for straw.
Nothing more relieving than chopping straw in a wet harvest.

Completely agree. I remember many years where you couldn't give straw away. In fact we are using bales of straw at the moment that were sitting in a corner of a field for 6 months because nobody wants them.

Got round bales of hay delivered today and was lucky to get them and had to give 47euro for them, cows in night and day now no silage no grass and lots of water

5 bales of silage left.done a measure today, growth of 35 on home block with a demand of 35,magic day i suppose. will feed heifers rest of bales till gone and join cows for ai and hopefully growth will increase to accommodate heifers

5 bales of silage left.done a measure today, growth of 35 on home block with a demand of 35,magic day i suppose. will feed heifers rest of bales till gone and join cows for ai and hopefully growth will increase to accommodate heifers

with the north wind forecast for next week there will be no growth:no::no:, this thing could get out of control very easy as fodder runs out. with the cows grazing silage ground whats going to happen next winter.?

with the north wind forecast for next week there will be no growth:no::no:, this thing could get out of control very easy as fodder runs out. with the cows grazing silage ground whats going to happen next winter.?

just looked at forecast- weather not as bad as previously forecast (for here anyway)i should scrape by.
its going to be very serious for feed next winter and if summer ends up less then ideal, either too wet or too dry, god knows!

just looked at forecast- weather not as bad as previously forecast (for here anyway)i should scrape by.
its going to be very serious for feed next winter and if summer ends up less then ideal, either too wet or too dry, god knows!

I'll take a drought over last summers sh*t and muck. At least the stock will be able to stay out on the land and a small bit of feed would keep them thriving.
If this summer comes anything like last I'll be having a drastic rethink on my system of finishing off grass. The land simply won't tolerate another year of it.

I'll take a drought over last summers sh*t and muck. At least the stock will be able to stay out on the land and a small bit of feed would keep them thriving.
If this summer comes anything like last I'll be having a drastic rethink on my system of finishing off grass. The land simply won't tolerate another year of it.

Thats what I'm thinking, my land doesn't suit the wet, if last year becomes the norm, the next stock will be trees!

Posted from the Ham Bone using Crapatalk 2

This thread makes depressing reading. There's light at the end of the tunnel finally, milk price is good too. To look at the cows and milk them, you wouldn't see any clue as to the turmoil around them.

I don't know, a lot of knee jerk reactions to stocking rate, etc but one thing this has done is scupper a lot of the plans many had post quotas. But all that could be forgotten if 2014 is a great year.:rolleyes:

Good move by Shannon airport with the grass. I don't know how much of Farrenfore Airport would take a tractor today though.:whistling:

This thread makes depressing reading. There's light at the end of the tunnel finally, milk price is good too. To look at the cows and milk them, you wouldn't see any clue as to the turmoil around them.

I don't know, a lot of knee jerk reactions to stocking rate, etc but one thing this has done is scupper a lot of the plans many had post quotas. But all that could be forgotten if 2014 is a great year.:rolleyes:

Good move by Shannon airport with the grass. I don't know how much of Farrenfore Airport would take a tractor today though.:whistling:

She would want to be dualled up anyway!

I agree but farmers need to start dealing with where we are today not this obession that seems to be building with next winter.
Before i'm accused of failing to plan or planning to fail bollixology i was on a neighbours farm last night the cows are running around on a twelve day rotation trying to graze covers of max 6 to 700kgs and getting 12 kgs of ration with no other feeding of any kind left in the yard.
Yet he has 40acres of silage stopped on the milking block with cover of 1500+ on it the obvious thing to do is graze a portion of it to get himself out of trouble but he wouldn't hear of it.
All he spoke of was silage,silage and more silage for next winter.
This weather will turn(i hope) and grass will grow over the ditches yet(i hope) if not we are all fcuked anyways.

Back