Silage Situation

We have put cattle on our wet land today and it is amazing how much it has greened up in the space of one week.

Still underfoot it is not brilliant and I wouldn't like heavy cattle on it:thumbdown:

I agree but farmers need to start dealing with where we are today not this obession that seems to be building with next winter.
Before i'm accused of failing to plan or planning to fail bollixology i was on a neighbours farm last night the cows are running around on a twelve day rotation trying to graze covers of max 6 to 700kgs and getting 12 kgs of ration with no other feeding of any kind left in the yard.
Yet he has 40acres of silage stopped on the milking block with cover of 1500+ on it the obvious thing to do is graze a portion of it to get himself out of trouble but he wouldn't hear of it.
All he spoke of was silage,silage and more silage for next winter.
This weather will turn(i hope) and grass will grow over the ditches yet(i hope) if not we are all fcuked anyways.
Not the worst plan either, is it though? How are his cows milking? At least he will have a first cut.:undecided:

Maybe I'm worrying about nothing, but Ive often thought about residues in airport grass due to it being exposed to constant traces of jet fuel.....

we were lifting grass at the airport last week and its just shyte , all old dead white grass and all the cuttings the toppers leave from the last year dont think you would feed much with it

I let out 27 bullocks this morning to help spare whats left of me fodder. Their not exactly bogging in grass but there is a nice little pick coming up. If the damn sun would only shine for a bit longer and warmer.

I agree but farmers need to start dealing with where we are today not this obession that seems to be building with next winter.
Before i'm accused of failing to plan or planning to fail bollixology i was on a neighbours farm last night the cows are running around on a twelve day rotation trying to graze covers of max 6 to 700kgs and getting 12 kgs of ration with no other feeding of any kind left in the yard.
Yet he has 40acres of silage stopped on the milking block with cover of 1500+ on it the obvious thing to do is graze a portion of it to get himself out of trouble but he wouldn't hear of it.
All he spoke of was silage,silage and more silage for next winter.
This weather will turn(i hope) and grass will grow over the ditches yet(i hope) if not we are all fcuked anyways.

If your going to graze everything,your going to have no feed for next winter,and whats your plan then:confused:sell all stock and buy in next spring,mightend be a bad idea either.

I agree with limerick and larry that jpts neighbour shouldnt graze his silage ground as it may be impossible to get any reasonable bulk later in the year. But he may slow the rotation down to at least double the 12 days somehow be it even more meal or something.

Also this is no time for point scoring if we can all get through this together, we can go back to the jibes and the "my cows are better than yours" when things return to normal.

:speechless:Jesus just reread jpts post and realised there getting 12 kgs of ration allready, :speechless:

That and 12 day old grass will kill cows without roughage. now looking like he will have no choice but graze at least some of the silage ground.

:speechless:Jesus just reread jpts post and realised there getting 12 kgs of ration allready, :speechless:

That and 12 day old grass will kill cows without roughage. now looking like he will have no choice but graze at least some of the silage ground.

Don't think he'll last long at that either.
Was at a meeting one night last fall on feeding cows during times of shortage,and some American guy was speaking at it,and he was saying the biggest problem for farmers was high stocking rates,and I'm inclined to think that we have the same problem here atm,the problem is how do we deal with the excess?
Must remember the weather dictates everything,whatever we get.

grass really starting to move down here on the coast recording growth rate of 60kg ,staying buffer feeding for another week :sweatdrop: starting to close more silage ground .as larry says cows milking very well

grass really starting to move down here on the coast recording growth rate of 60kg ,staying buffer feeding for another week :sweatdrop: starting to close more silage ground .as larry says cows milking very well

ya but isnt the coast nearly always a month a head of the middle of the country?

It's nearly the first of May,and still buffer feeding down there,and probably nice dry ground too.:whistling:
nice ground allright:thumbup:, grazing platform at 5 cows ha was in a lot of trouble 2 weeks ago ,would be in a spot of bother in a very dry yr too:sweatdrop::sweatdrop::sweatdrop: we are grass based but use the diet feeder at the shoulders of the year

Back