Silage slab

Would it even need taking up?
Why waste time and effort. Fill the far end up a bit and pour over it all. Perhaps dig a bit at the front to get depth and so it finishes level to existing concrete.
Ya I'd be thinking the same. Take out the back wall and work from the other end if possible

Lads question for you. We have to do the floor in our put this year. After 27years it's starting to crack. My question is concrete strength. Is 50n good enough?

Lads question for you. We have to do the floor in our put this year. After 27years it's starting to crack. My question is concrete strength. Is 50n good enough?
talk to the supplier,they should tell you what you need for silage pit floor

40n is what’s recommended . But as said talk to your concrete plant . There’s an additive they can put in to help fight against the effluent in silage . So I’m told .

If the foundations are no good it will crack again. No matter what strength it is the acid will still eat it. If I was doing it I would be looking into doing the base with asphalt, the acid won't wear it away, you just need to be careful that you wouldn't damage it with a tine on the grab

Thanks lads never knew you could get stuff to put into it. The biggest thing is is it worth it and does it work?. The concrete has been eat away so much over the years and the constant run of machinery on it has weekened it and it broke on a joint

Thanks lads never knew you could get stuff to put into it. The biggest thing is is it worth it and does it work?. The concrete has been eat away so much over the years and the constant run of machinery on it has weekened it and it broke on a joint
Have plastic fibres in 40N here. The foundation needs to be rolled solid.

There is a cow passage at the back wall of the pit and its is under ground about 6 feet also the concrete apron is at the front of it .

Was it put up as a silage pit?
Isn't supposed to be a dung store but decided to use it for silage??

If it’s how I think,you’d be best off with a central drain (with grids) set either to fall to the front or back into a tank.

20200312_155239.jpg
Any ideas what to do with this slab lads,where I am standing there is not far from the back wall about 15 feet out roughly and that is the amount of water in front of it most wet days .

Last edited:
Effluent channels flowing out to the right back hand corner of slab and from there into a slurry pit .
Ya maybe a channel through the middle would help but even the channels that are there only take so much of it because when pit is full it flows bk under the silage so can only take so much water in channels to the sides ..

Well the slab is actually too big for the amount of grass that goes into it,unless we keep it away from 1 wall might be a option too ...

Well the slab is actually too big for the amount of grass that goes into it,unless we keep it away from 1 wall might be a option too ...
Prob the best way out of it, let the water out the back some way. At least what's in the pit will be good then.

Back