Slatted shed

Depending on the length of the shed put stockboard sheeted gates in the gable ends for the outer pens. Means cattle are not mucking up feed passage when handling and if you need to get in to get out a downed animal it is more doable. Plus I know the feed passages at home were always slippery so greater chance of animal falling and getting hurt.

Less gates along feed fence leaves more head space and less metal to eventually rot out.

Would also go with perimeter feeding rather than central passage so not driving on fresh forage when feeding out the second time through the shed. Plus if on a budget you just need to concrete strip along feed fence rather than full passage.

Double tank 2 x 14.5 slats with 2 ft toe space feeding both sides feeding into troughs, have a 5 ft gate into each pen at one side onto passageway, work gates on this so you can put cattle into any pen, narrow gate makes it very easy to cull out a lame or sick animal if you have a second body, otherwise leave them out and work them in the passageway, 4 drinking troughs per pen all shared with pens either side, 8 ft overhang at eaves is a super job. Keep the eaves and gutters well up out of harms way from diet feeders and loaders, finishing cattle generate a lot of heat so high eaves will help keep them cooler, dryer and cleaner.

This is my version of a gate into each pen .Built this shed 20 years ago . The gate is about 3' 6" wide and I'm not loosing any feed space.
I think it's a better job than a full swinging barrier.
20171109_080257.jpg 20171109_073342.jpg

Another idea I copied from a shed belonging to a famous foreign cattle exporter up @ithastopay country.
20171109_080257.jpg

Rent a shed for a few seasons. make sure the fattening enterprise puts more money in your pocket before building a white elephant that you spend the next 15 year paying for and saying you were some ejgit

Last edited:
So the plan is more finishing cattle.
Know very little about slatted sheds. So what size pens would lads make for finishers? 15ft x 15ft?
Know my cousin has 15x 20 ft. The 15 being the feed space. He struggles to stovk it enough to keep the slats clean.

If you had a blank field and (for the sake of pretending and brainstorming) a blank cheque...
Describe ur shed...

our shed at home is 4 bays long each bay 4.8m. at the moment its set as one pen although a gate can be shut across to either make 3 bay and 1 bay or 2 and 2. currently 30 bullocks on it although could nearly do with 2 less which might happen soon as some are almost finished - they can all feed at the same time which they do when getting mealed. would like to put another house up and really the only difference would be it would be more bays and a higher roof

Reactions: AYF
would there be agitation points in the middle somewhere, its fair high shed isnt it
I doubt it but its not a grant job so maybe there is . It's a fair height alright but if / when they build the other side it would need all the height for the number of cattle that it would hold .

hi just wondering...
got cattle in my 4 bay single slat. shed. in a week now approx 7 per pen- but their v. dirty already. any ideas to improve the cleaness?. last yr i put the cattle out in the yard for a 1hr or 2 and quickly washed the shed clean..it was dirty again in 3 days. any tricks, tips on keeping bullocks as clean as possible in shed each pen is approx 16'x 13'

hi just wondering...
got cattle in my 4 bay single slat. shed. in a week now approx 7 per pen- but their v. dirty already. any ideas to improve the cleaness?. last yr i put the cattle out in the yard for a 1hr or 2 and quickly washed the shed clean..it was dirty again in 3 days. any tricks, tips on keeping bullocks as clean as possible in shed each pen is approx 16'x 13'

What size cattle are they ? Usually , dirty cattle on slats are a sign of understocking ? What’s the silage like ? Do they need to be dosed ?

hi just wondering...
I've 500kg plus lads in a week at similar stocking in a similar type shed on silage only, never had them as clean, trimmed along the back line and trimmed the tails, they are on comfort slat mats and there are no scuttery arses.

What size cattle are they ? Usually , dirty cattle on slats are a sign of understocking ? What’s the silage like ? Do they need to be dosed ?
mine are about 500kg, just 3 i think were dosed- actually :-/
i did hear about the under stocking would make them dirtier. using easifix mats. fed silage and meal. do seem to need to clean the back of the pen (as some manure builds up there against the wall).

What are farmers opinions on using a 20'6 slat at 125 euro a foot verus twin slats at 10'6 with a dividing wall down the centre of the tank?

I am currently costing for a tank.

Thanks for any replies.

What are farmers opinions on using a 20'6 slat at 125 euro a foot verus twin slats at 10'6 with a dividing wall down the centre of the tank?

Thanks for any replies.
Have two tanks here that are 18.5', easily mixed, no complaints, the slats are 10" thick from Drumderry.

Thanks for any replies.
What price is the 10ft6 slat? What's the current price of the shuttered wall

Back