Slurry Tanker

muckymanor

Looking to buy a new slurry tanker for the coming season. 1500 to 1600 gallons. Recessed or semi recessed. Galvanised. Drawn to a major 1500 at this stage. What other brands should we be looking at?
DSCN4100.JPG

For your own use Mucky I wouldn't look any further then the Major. Anything Major here has been great and I'd be hard pressed to change from them.

Looking to buy a new slurry tanker for the coming season. 1500 to 1600 gallons. Recessed or semi recessed. Galvanised. Drawn to a major 1500 at this stage. What other brands should we be looking at?
DSCN4100.JPG
have an abbey 1600 here that i bought in 2010, its recessed, very easy tanker pull and very good on ground, sorry i didnt get a dipped one though

theres a new abbey 1600 recessed in martins in Bailieborough its not galvanised tho

Hi spec would be the brand of choice down here in kerry ,there seems to be no end to the old ones some of them now going on 30 years old.I have one with a jurop pump which is invincible .
The nc look a smashing tank and should be robust and i would consider looking at one at least
Will the grant will be availed of to purchase the tank with trailing shoe????

Probably a dribble bar. But we will choose a tanker first and look at the accessories after. Have been approved for a 1700 gallon tank with trailing shoe so can downgrade to anything less than that.

Hi spec would be the brand of choice down here in kerry ,there seems to be no end to the old ones some of them now going on 30 years old.I have one with a jurop pump which is invincible .
The nc look a smashing tank and should be robust and i would consider looking at one at least
I also ave a hi spec with the jurop pump very happy with it, neighbour has a 25 year old painted hi spec never seen the inside of a shed. It's in very good nick.

Nc are dear enough if I remember pricing a few years ago.
I like the herron tankers.
The hi spec are an awful hight we got a 2300 a few weeks ago and it's reckless high I'd say I you'd trow them over in a shot

They are basically all the same, big bit of pipe with two ends welded, drawbar and wheels. All I will say is get it galvanised, and as big a set of tyres as possible. Some of the light dribble bars are seriously light. Too light in my opinion

Probably a dribble bar. But we will choose a tanker first and look at the accessories after. Have been approved for a 1700 gallon tank with trailing shoe so can downgrade to anything less than that.
Dribble bar will be an easier pull than a trailing shoe in your neck of the woods, less power needed and minimal drag, go galvanized especially if the grant is paying part of it.

DSCN4100.JPG
Go ressesed and 28.1 alliance tyre and stepped axel, if you don't go for a major go hispec

If it's on a grant I'd even price a 30.5 tyre. The bigger the tyre the better. Also a wide angle pto shaft is extremely handy to have you can.

Hard to go past a major, although I had 2500 hired last year and was very rough on the road empty but was an older tanks and might have just needed new damper rubbers on the drawbar. Brother in law has a galvanized 2600 and it’s a lovely looking tank.
We have a high 2300 hi spec, do a lot of road work and always on a 50km tractor and always a steady tank. it’s a 2003 on a commercial axle. Started to show its age and got it blasted and sprayed over the winter and the steel on it is still very good. Like a new tank again.
I wouldn’t be over afraid of a Conor, only thing is the thickness of the barrel, while not a major thing there wall is 5mm and most of the others are 6mm.

If you are buying a dribble bar or similar then you are foolish to choose the tank first.
As @Ozzy Scott says there isn't that much difference in them. (Don't buy Russian tyres if possible)
The part.of the tank that will.make life easy or hard will be the spreading equipment and how well matched it is to the tank.
Simple thing like how hard is it to change to a splashplate when necessary.
The control system needs consideration also as again it's more likely to give trouble than the basic tank

If you are buying a dribble bar or similar then you are foolish to choose the tank first.
As @Ozzy Scott says there isn't that much difference in them. (Don't buy Russian tyres if possible)
The part.of the tank that will.make life easy or hard will be the spreading equipment and how well matched it is to the tank.
Simple thing like how hard is it to change to a splashplate when necessary.
The control system needs consideration also as again it's more likely to give trouble than the basic tank

The chances are, for our own use, it's going to be a mastek. They are close to us for service and parts. Anyone that I have met that has one recons that they are pretty reliable.

Very simple to change to the splash plate. Tried and tested but simple control system.

Hard to go past a major, although I had 2500 hired last year and was very rough on the road empty but was an older tanks and might have just needed new damper rubbers on the drawbar. Brother in law has a galvanized 2600 and it’s a lovely looking tank.
We have a high 2300 hi spec, do a lot of road work and always on a 50km tractor and always a steady tank. it’s a 2003 on a commercial axle. Started to show its age and got it blasted and sprayed over the winter and the steel on it is still very good. Like a new tank again.
I wouldn’t be over afraid of a Conor, only thing is the thickness of the barrel, while not a major thing there wall is 5mm and most of the others are 6mm.

I like conor machinery. I priced them last year for a tanker and they were more expensive than major for the same tank.

Many lads running joskin tankers, mills has a new 2300 gal on 30.5 tyres for 15k euro. How does that price compare to the Irish tanks.

Many lads running joskin tankers, mills has a new 2300 gal on 30.5 tyres for 15k euro. How does that price compare to the Irish tanks.
Tried buying a second hand tanker off him, asked a question about it got the reply 'its a grand tanker its £16k I'll ring you back' then he just put the phone down so never looked any further. The advert I was looking at had it down at £14k

Dribble bar will be an easier pull than a trailing shoe in your neck of the woods, less power needed and minimal drag, go galvanized especially if the grant is paying part of it.
Imo their is no comparison the dribble bar will smear grass just like the splash plate while the trailing shoe is far superior especially for grazing ground,but you would need big power up front .I have still have to be convinced of the merits of moving away from the splashplate .
Will a farmer highly stocked depending on bagged nitrogen to graze paddocks every 21-26 days ever be able to rely on slurry to do the same job

Imo their is no comparison the dribble bar will smear grass just like the splash plate while the trailing shoe is far superior especially for grazing ground,but you would need big power up front .I have still have to be convinced of the merits of moving away from the splashplate .
Will a farmer highly stocked depending on bagged nitrogen to graze paddocks every 21-26 days ever be able to rely on slurry to do the same job

The comparison is in nutrient loss comparing the dribble bar and the splash plate. You just have to use your nose when spreading with the splash plate to know that a huge amount is being lost to the atmosphere.

I have spoken to enough people who spread with a dribble bar to know that it's miles ahead of the splash plate with reguard to smearing grass and the time before you can graze after spreading

Back