Slurry Tanker

Slurry is the back bone of our farm; we have an open tank that I normally add fym to; to thicken it and add fert/nutrient value. This slurry thing has me worried; it's alright for conventional as your main fert can be utilising granulated fertiliser; but as we are organic we can't. Spreading dung is getting harder as the window to get it out is tiny esp as we are reliant on a contractor.
Dead in the water doesn't describe what's looming.

From a user point in not convinced with the dribble bar/trailing shoe or injector that I use to apply allot of my slurry. Your applying a huge amount of slurry over say 10% of the ground. even if spreading a low rate of 1500gls per ac, this equates to a line of slurry with a concentration of 15000gls per ac. Currently using the Moscha spout and in ideal conditions I find very good, except for the smell.

complex applicators that aren't used very often, are far from a good idea

What concentration per acre is a cow pat?

The biggest benefit for me using a dribblebar is a safe haven for worms.

Plus vat price , so if a tank costs 30 k plus vat the grant will be on the 30k only, you claim back the full vat amount on the tank, so 30 plus is 36900 , you get the grant on the 30 and the vat reclaim is 6900
can you reclaim the vat if you,re not registered for vat as in flat rate livestock farmer ?, only fixed equipment can be claimed on as far as i know

your only separating, still have all the liquid N to spread. Would be cool if we could return 90% of the water to watercourses and hold onto the 10% of a very concentrated dry product that could be pelletted

Ahh see what you mean.
Well if sewage works are doing it there's no reason we can't?
Technology is there. Just needs pricing up I suppose.

What do lads do to protect their macerator from rust when they are putting it up for the winter?

We have ours washed out and we are thinking about running some burned oil through it to prevent corrosion on the blades.

What do lads do to protect their macerator from rust when they are putting it up for the winter?

We have ours washed out and we are thinking about running some burned oil through it to prevent corrosion on the blades.

Mine works harder in winter than summer so never really gets a break,old oil will do a fine job of keeping it from rusting.

I have never done anything more than run a tank of water through if it's going to be stopped for a while, I suppose you could take off the access plate and spray it with something like WD 40, it should be possible to rotate it by hand to do it on all sides.

I have never done anything more than run a tank of water through if it's going to be stopped for a while, I suppose you could take off the access plate and spray it with something like WD 40, it should be possible to rotate it by hand to do it on all sides.

The plate comes off in seconds on ours. It cannot be turned by hand though. there is a stone trap beneath the macerator and I have it dried out with a sponge. I will probably just fill it with oil and leave it running for a few minutes.

Mine works harder in winter than summer so never really gets a break,old oil will do a fine job of keeping it from rusting.

Do ye not have a closed spreading period like over this side of the pond?

Not country wide. We have what are called NVZ (nitrate vulnerable zones) which have a closed period, the rest of the country is open hours. A lot of NVZs appear random and some places that ought to be in NVZs aren't (and some abuse the ability).

The plate comes off in seconds on ours. It cannot be turned by hand though. there is a stone trap beneath the macerator and I have it dried out with a sponge. I will probably just fill it with oil and leave it running for a few minutes.

We were in a nvz and had a closed period,due to low nitrate levels in our catchment they did away with it,new areas were added a couple of years ago but not us.

Only looked at the ad there now , The 1st tanker is my neighbours alright , or its twin . I haven't actually seen the big tandem axle . Maybe @Mf240 knows

My contractors tank is a red 3500 gallon its pictured in one of his older adds behind a new Holland. The big green tank with the dribble bar is 4000 gallon and I don't know who owns that or if it's even sold.

Back