Small scale lime spreading

That spreader would be ideal and I have seen a few of them for sale this last 12 months. It's make is taskers.

However the reports that I have read on them are that they are not suitable for lime. Apparently the lime gets under the chain on them and causes it to derail.
The chain is only a couple of inches wide and not strong enough

Thought of you @muckymanor when I saw this

https://www.donedeal.ie/fertiliserspreaders-for-sale/lime-fert-spreader/20669528

ZTVhYjE1YThiNTAwODhjNTMxNWQwNDVmZmY4YWNlOGHk2sno_K5LbE3P0t4Gz2KjaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMTUzMjE4NTN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Any opinion on dumping lime in slurry pit and spreading it like that?
We bought 2 used tankers years ago with booms and they came with a good bit of lime laying in the bottom.
Know the tankers in US have agitators inside for sand.
Just wondering would it result in an increase in ph in the soil. Could also kill bugs in slurry and prevent it from being taken back 9ut to the land.
What's the difference between lime spread in the field and hydrated lime?

Ag lime is ground limestone which is calcium carbonate. Hydrated lime is calcium hydroxide made by burning limestone to get quicklime which is calcium oxide then hydrating it (with water) which turns it into calcium hydroxide. It's all alkaline and will raise pH value. Quicklime is very caustic, don't get it on your skin. Hydrated lime is less caustic and is the same as builders lime.

Any opinion on dumping lime in slurry pit and spreading it like that?
We bought 2 used tankers years ago with booms and they came with a good bit of lime laying in the bottom.
Know the tankers in US have agitators inside for sand.
Just wondering would it result in an increase in ph in the soil. Could also kill bugs in slurry and prevent it from being taken back 9ut to the land.
Would it not mean that you would get no nitrogen benefit from the manure that you are spreading?

Don't suppose anyone has any calibration charts for a Transpread 830, a mate recently bought one and I wanted to use it here at home but we've no idea where to set the shutter or what gear to put the gearbox in. We'd get there with trial and error but a bit of idea would help!

Last edited:
If you're wondering what weight per litre to use, go on the kuhn uk website and find your fertiliser. It will give the figure on it.

Would it not mean that you would get no nitrogen benefit from the manure that you are spreading?
So it seems that the increase of ph in the soil increases volitization, which would be reduced if the urea is underground. Probably why these tankers where used to fill a tanker with an injector

I’ve 90t of lime been tipped up for 2 months now,must have had 2’ of rain on it now,I’m thinking of sticking it in the rear discharge as I don’t think it’ll go through a lime spreader.

I’ve 90t of lime been tipped up for 2 months now,must have had 2’ of rain on it now,I’m thinking of sticking it in the rear discharge as I don’t think it’ll go through a lime spreader.
Happened here a couple of years ago, was a load of lime from hanlys so pure powdery stuff. Ended up loading it with the digger and trying to break it up, had to have a shovel on the tractor in case the spreader got blocked in the field..now it was only one load but still was a torture

Local tillage lad here spreads his lime each year with a rear discharge just doesn`t over fill it .

Back