snow tyres/chains

headcase

Very Senior Member
how many people bother to have a set of chains or a set of snow tyres ready for adverse weather

was thinking it probably wouldnt cost the earth to have a set of steel rims with snow tyres sitting in the shed ready for the snow

how many people bother to have a set of chains or a set of snow tyres ready for adverse weather

was thinking it probably wouldnt cost the earth to have a set of steel rims with snow tyres sitting in the shed ready for the snow

I thought about getting some snow chains for the juggernaut . Just in case it started to snow when it was out so we could get it back in the yard . The council don’t bother with our road much these days .

A few year ago the next farm passed us ran 9 artic`s and his dad was a councilor . The snow ploughs where never away .

maybe not worth it in your location but up here some just put winter tyres on and just leave them on all year ,they cost the same and last as well and you have grip all the time although they can be a little bit noisier .not had chains for years now but had them when I was in the hills ,also run studded tyres in the winter ,better than anything else but quiet dear to have them done
not much use tonight though as all the roads are full of drifted snow

Well, we just got a pair of "winter" tyres for the little polo. There basically normal tyres with just a bigger and more agressive tread pattern. Will keep them on all year.

I only got them as the tyres needed changing anyway, though pair of better tyre would help with the snow. The polo, as cars go, was very good in the snow to begin with, but it now unstopable with the new tyres!!!!:thumbup1: Can go anywhere with them and they only cost £30 a tyre. £120 well spent.:yes:

IMO chains are still a pain to have and use.

nearly bought a set years ago when i lived up a hill and the slightest frost and you couldn't get up it . guess who's 3week old car needing 2 new door skins after some dame woman panicked and hit the brakes skidded for about 20 yards , and like a guided missile went into the side of it this morning . that will b 600 miles on the clock and only just on its second tank of juice :001_rolleyes:

nearly bought a set years ago when i lived up a hill and the slightest frost and you couldn't get up it . guess who's 3week old car needing 2 new door skins after some dame woman panicked and hit the brakes skidded for about 20 yards , and like a guided missile went into the side of it this morning . that will b 600 miles on the clock and only just on its second tank of juice :001_rolleyes:
gutted:crying::crying:

what a bugger :crying:I feel your pain:sad:

What a bummer, and bet your ins will try to settle knock for knock:sneaky2:
Some awful examples of driving this last few weeks:thumbdown:

better not i took to the pavment and wasnt moving when she went into the side of me . bad corner some genious decided to put a reverse camber on it there must b about 12 to 18 ince drop from 1 side to the other . the road wide enough for 2 cars normaly but when its icy its leathal , ive bounced of the kerb before so in these conditions you take it at less than walking pace . i was half way round it when she was just comming up to it , she panics hits the breaks and it just slides . she claimed to b taking her time but was still going to fast for thst corner . to b fair to her it was an icy slope with snow on it but i still think if she had taken her foot of the break she wouldnt have hit me

insurance claim line was just ringing and ringing no answer had phone on auto redial for an hour thismorning, did get through to customer services but they just passed my number on and said they would phone me . got through after 5 30 but it was another company that just delt with after hours emegencys . needless to say i wont be renewing with them

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IPd3O5_SJEs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IPd3O5_SJEs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]cool but probably expensive

insurance claim line was just ringing and ringing no answer had phone on auto redial for an hour thismorning, did get through to customer services but they just passed my number on and said they would phone me . got through after 5 30 but it was another company that just delt with after hours emegencys . needless to say i wont be renewing with them

Would it not be better getting a quote yourself, and giving her chance to cough up without going thru ins?

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IPd3O5_SJEs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IPd3O5_SJEs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]cool but probably expensive

You just answered my question there, was going to ask did anyony know what the chains lying to inside of wheel did, saw them on trucks on ice road truckers tonight, but couldnt tell what they would be for:thumbup1:

Would it not be better getting a quote yourself, and giving her chance to cough up without going thru ins?
2 new doors skins plus paint going to b to much for a cash job , and i need a car as well . brotherinlaw has his own accident repair business so it will be him doing the work regardless . he was going to stop by on the way home and give me a quoat but needless to say he's a bit busy the now

I have been using Winter grip tyres on the back of my cars for about 8 years
now, Have a spare set of wheels with them on and usually run them
from Dec to April. The difference in grip is hard to believe on a rear
wheel drive car. Hills I used to struggle to get up I can now stop on
and pull away no problem :thumbup1:
As said before you could run them all year if you wanted.

Last year a guy's X5 with low profiles got stuck on hill, Another guy
in a micra with winter grips came up behind, passed and stopped in front and
asked him if he wanted a pull :lol::lol::lol:

1 of the lads at work has an old ford fiesta that he just uses to get to work he bought it 2 year ago for £250 its got narrow tyres on it and he seemes to b able to get through the snow no bother

Found some videos on the subject

[YOUTUBE]JGfvyPtYR0Y[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]GlYEMH10Z4s[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]drOtBWhGxks[/YOUTUBE]

Could do with some chains myself as the mrs car stayed on the drive for 3 weeks over christmas un able to get it off the drive, had to leave it at me mams now because if i fetch it home she will be housebound again as the road is like a ice rink again.:thumbdown:
Getting her to take them off when she gets on the gritted road would be the stumbling block though!

away with you man thon lass lisa can put snaw chains on a truck on ice road truckers,tell her to shape up or ship oot:thumbup1:

Back