Spring Barley - General Thread

The spring wheat field has not been ploughed in over twenty years and this is the first year straw was baled off it . The patch of sterile brome has defied all my efforts to get rid of it . You can see where I chopped the straw on the barley field headland . I left three runs of the combine beside the hedge which I cut last that way nobody gets tempted to drive on it . All those fields are destined for Spring Beans .
IMG_3616.jpg

Since we are discussing Spring Barley and in particular Malting Barley in another thread, I have just quick query, what was this this years spec, KPH, Protein etc, for supply to the Malting Company of Ireland does anyone know?

Since we are discussing Spring Barley and in particular Malting Barley in another thread, I have just quick query, what was this this years spec, KPH, Protein etc, for supply to the Malting Company of Ireland does anyone know?
Min 63kph, protein 9 to 11% and moisture under 22%(I think) but MCI were very actively looking for it this year so there may have been a bit of flexibility in the above.

Is there many guys using the forward selling option boortmalt have. And how you found it. We missed out on it last year cos they were late sending out the contract. I was told the ideal time to lock in was between May and july

Seems to be a fair few lads sub 50ac genuinely talking of no longer growing malting near me anyway, on about growing a feed variety and driving it on to get the yield to make up the balance.
I heard that comment made up your side as well but it depends on what variety they are given for this harvest. If they get one of the top yielding varieties then they will all aim for malt and would be mad not to. If it's an older lower yielding and is poor on disease etc then it's not such an easy decision.

I heard that comment made up your side as well but it depends on what variety they are given for this harvest. If they get one of the top yielding varieties then they will all aim for malt and would be mad not to. If it's an older lower yielding and is poor on disease etc then it's not such an easy decision.
That's the way it will be if there is any doubt about a variety it will be feed they will sow I reckon, there is a feed depot in the village so none of them are prepared to pass it off and drive another 35-40mins to have loads rejected any longer, it will be the same amount grown here again but there will probably be a 20ac field taken out and put in grass in the autumn and another 10ac of beet grown next spring. Yet to decide what area will get reduced.

Are u afraid ye won't be the first to start sowing? Must grease the plough tomorrow I see the water starting to subside in a few stubbles.
To Be the first to sow in Wexford is hardly a title you’d want
They usually get to sow a second time too

Back