Spring Barley - General Thread

Any thoughts on a rough maximum that one should go for FYM Barrowsider?

I've roughly 10t/ac available now but would like to go reasonably heavy as I think it's crying out for OM.
Without using tons per acre I'd usually blacken two stubble fields each year then another two the following year etc. Rather than try to divide all the dung into a lot of stubble ground, saves time and diesel too. Last time I took samples all organic matter levels were over 8. Only thing about spreading a lot of strawy dung is you'd want to plough it down straight away. Last time I spread a lot of dry dung the weather broke and by the time I was able to plough it the strawy dung had dried more and dragged a bit with the plough. So you probably can't spread too much FYM in reality.
MF30

Without using tons per acre I'd usually blacken two stubble fields each year then another two the following year etc. Rather than try to divide all the dung into a lot of stubble ground, saves time and diesel too. Last time I took samples all organic matter levels were over 8. Only thing about spreading a lot of strawy dung is you'd want to plough it down straight away. Last time I spread a lot of dry dung the weather broke and by the time I was able to plough it the strawy dung had dried more and dragged a bit with the plough. So you probably can't spread too much FYM in reality.
MF30

This is well rotten anyway and has been moved as well so it wouldn't be strawy. I'd say in the smaller trailer here which brings 5t of barley it's not far off that with dung.

I will keep drawing so once the weather dries up again :rolleyes2:

This is well rotten anyway and has been moved as well so it wouldn't be strawy. I'd say in the smaller trailer here which brings 5t of barley it's not far off that with dung.

I will keep drawing so once the weather dries up again :rolleyes2:
Pile it on:Thumbp2:

Any thoughts on a rough maximum that one should go for FYM Barrowsider?

I've roughly 10t/ac available now but would like to go reasonably heavy as I think it's crying out for OM.

I'd be inclined to lash it on to a hungry field too Nash but just be careful with your nutrient management plan, particularly with Phosphorus. At 10t of FYM per ac you're applying almost 30t of P per hectare according to department calculations. Maximum P application rates on tillage crops are 35kg and 25kg P/ha for index 2 and 3 soils respectively.

Down to the last field now, playing around with the GPS on my phone. Statistics are field size 10 ha, length is 625 metres long, ploughing at 8 kph, ploughing width 1050mm, depth 200 mm, estimated finish time 5.30pm...OK so I added the last 3 myself but thats the plan anyway...
MF30
20180328_094517.jpg

My laureate basic seed arrived the other day. It came in big bags and a few 25kg bags. I was woundering as the lorry driver told me he had 8 small bags and was surprised I got so much as I assumed they were 50kg. Nice and handy to load anyway

Down to the last field now, playing around with the GPS on my phone. Statistics are field size 10 ha, length is 625 metres long, ploughing at 8 kph, ploughing width 1050mm, depth 200 mm, estimated finish time 5.30pm...OK so I added the last 3 myself but thats the plan anyway...
MF30
View attachment 52859

Have you a few cans in the cab with the wobbles :laugh::wink:

Have you a few cans in the cab with the wobbles :laugh::wink:
Lost concentration while playing with the settings on the GPS app! Finished at 4.45pm so that estimation wasn't too far out!
Have you polished up those new boards yet? The Landini must be rarin' to give it a go!
MF30

Lost concentration while playing with the settings on the GPS app! Finished at 4.45pm so that estimation wasn't too far out!
Have you polished up those new boards yet? The Landini must be rarin' to give it a go!
MF30

All raring to go here but rain keeps halting any chance of a play :cry:

Rained again early this morning :rolleyes2:

Back