Spring Barley - General Thread

Leather jackets prevalent in uncles ground that wasn't rolled. Field rolled has them but not as much

Did anyone roll or roll tomorrow their barley set in that 2nd window, 2 weeks this Sunday/mon/tues. I’ve 40 acres unrolled and some of it’s a mess, some bits up, some not, anywhere within 50 feet of a big tree or ditch not up, drier areas not up etc and crows tearing at it, it’s not capped just poor soil to seed contact really

Did some this evening and want to do more ASAP. Makes the field look neater anyway! It would be nice to have it done before the forecast rain as the rain would bring on the final flush of weeds.

Did anyone roll or roll tomorrow their barley set in that 2nd window, 2 weeks this Sunday/mon/tues. I’ve 40 acres unrolled and some of it’s a mess, some bits up, some not, anywhere within 50 feet of a big tree or ditch not up, drier areas not up etc and crows tearing at it, it’s not capped just poor soil to seed contact really

Going to roll the last bit thats sowed in the morning.

Can just about see the tramlines so going to bring everything up to 110-115 units as well in case we get rain on Sunday bar the last field.

Dad was on about rolling but it's only on first leaf and I wonder is It up enough yet??:scratchhead:, some Wouldn't be fully up either, would It do It harm??:scratchhead:

Walked my own tonight, It's looking well rolled and unrolled considering the rain It got last Friday.

Last edited:
A4F62FBE-413A-4E43-8380-2A95574CED90.jpeg
The cuckoo came and went and it was still in the bag, harvest will be late so I’m calling it the “reindeer barley” this year. That’s gangway sown 2 weeks this evening, got its last 40 units of Sul can this morning. Establishment seems super but I don’t count plants anymore as it’s not cool....

View attachment 54389
The cuckoo came and went and it was still in the bag, harvest will be late so I’m calling it the “reindeer barley” this year. That’s gangway sown 2 weeks this evening, got its last 40 units of Sul can this morning. Establishment seems super but I don’t count plants anymore as it’s not cool....
cant see how planting 2 weeks ago in this season is considered late. We spend the whole lot of the slurry closed period on about how its ridiculous to farm by dates, work with nature and all will be fine.

Finished rolling the barley this evening. All fert out so it’s just spraying from here on.
Up’d the speed to 15-16kph and minimizing any overlap had it covering 20ac/hr.
The forecast bit of rain should really set the barley going now.
0A9BD0E8-A03D-4E67-81FF-137F213A17F3.jpeg 0BB2885A-DAE5-4646-BA45-75E8B3A5A5BA.jpeg

Finished rolling here this evening as well, some cloud of dust out of what was sown Thursday night! Also topped up everything to 110-115 units as well with Sulfa CAN bar what was sown this week.

Happy enough overall but have two fields that were rolled after sowing which are a bit thin but with a drop of rain, hopefully it will thicken up as establishment is a bit uneven.

16k-mother a god, that’s some clipping. I was threading g along very carefully at 8k

There wasn’t really any big stones so hopefully no cracked rings. Left a grand finish. I didn’t want to overfirm the ground either (roller speed has a big effect on this). Tyres down at 10psi to thread as lightly as possible.

Was up since 5 and had a first communion in the middle of the day then came home rolling again, wanted to get finished.
Was under time pressure on Friday too and ended up spreading the Fertiliser at 16kph too!

There wasn’t really any big stones so hopefully no cracked rings. Left a grand finish. I didn’t want to overfirm the ground either (roller speed has a big effect on this). Tyres down at 10psi to thread as lightly as possible.

Was up since 5 and had a first communion in the middle of the day then came home rolling again, wanted to get finished.
Was under time pressure on Friday too and ended up spreading the Fertiliser at 16kph too!
16Kph with the Knight is the next logical step, :lol:.
A lot of catching up done this week.

Have you all round rings or those beaker rings every second 1 if you get me?

Back