Spring Barley - General Thread

It’s probably alive with disease, that combined with the lack of stems/m2 would mean a very poor yield which wouldn’t be enough to justify what you’ve saved in seed and it establishment costs.
Did I read on here that some planted sb for I think malting barley

Ah lads, thanks for ruining my night!! Here I was proud out of myself ploughing on the 8th of January, thinking how relaxing it was compared to other years knowing I’ve loads of time to do it before I have to think about planting. Now after reading the last few posts I’m beginning to think I’m late!!!!

I know 2 lads that have winter wheat sowed after beet the last few days but I would not plant barley either, then again last spring the snow week there was a lad west of me here that planted barley and he made the journal mid July last harvesting it doing about a tonne per acre more than anyone else in the south did..... maybe we were all wrong or else just too honest.....

There was some planted in the county that week as well and it even poorer than the cuckoo barley, the snow runoff didn't help....

Any stir in Ballycarney . No point sowing Barley if Kelly’s is closed for the winter.

They were only ploughing last Friday....

Rebelman, I was all pleased with myself this evening to have the hedges cut, stubbles sprayed off, soil samples taken and digger cleanup done and now you mention ploughing :cry::cry:

Is there sb seed available? I tried to get bean seed today and Glanbia say they have none.
Had Boormalt rep out Monday and was settling up for my Craft winter malt seed and asked him same question and he said they are only starting to dress it now (which probably means they will realy start dressing it in another two weeks time)

Day 72, crop maturing quick, no rain in site, has enough moisture to finish 99%. Seed size will be smaller this year.

I must sow 2 weeks earlier, and better variety.

Crop is healthy.

Going to widen some drains and use that spoil to mix into sandier stuff.

Ant...

Attachments

• 20190111_144033-1651x929.jpg
    20190111_144033-1651x929.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 55
  • 20190110_094402-1651x929.jpg
    20190110_094402-1651x929.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 57
  • 20190110_094336(0)-1651x929.jpg
    20190110_094336(0)-1651x929.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 66
Meant to get rain friday, some small heads are dropping off due to heat and no rain, grain under stress in the head.

Ant...

Day 86, harvest will be day 110ish, very dry January so grain size a bit smaller. Kangaroos and cockies makin a mess as well.

Ant....
whats the green thing in middle picture??
you trying the johner to see what moisture is like:scratchhead::whistle:

About to order Gangway seed, Cork would you know is the TGW figure (49.5) on recommended list accurate for the Gangway ye are preparing?

Back