Spring Barley - General Thread

Had to make emergency start to harvest, kangaroos and cockies have decimated alot of crop while i was away this week. Very annoyed, i have holidays on the 19th so was close to being home to manage. I have gas gun and shooter now to scare wildlife.

Not sure how it will average, maybe 5 or 6 tonne ha. No rain in Jan hurt seed size severly as well, lowest on record.

Got crap weather for a week now, so harvest delayed. Barley price and straw price dropped.

Ant...

Attachments

• 20190206_205244-1651x929.jpg
    20190206_205244-1651x929.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 20190206_205320-1651x929.jpg
    20190206_205320-1651x929.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 20190206_205337-1651x929.jpg
    20190206_205337-1651x929.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 20190206_205356-1651x929.jpg
    20190206_205356-1651x929.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 85
Had to make emergency start to harvest, kangaroos and cockies have decimated alot of crop while i was away this week. Very annoyed, i have holidays on the 19th so was close to being home to manage. I have gas gun and shooter now to scare wildlife.

Not sure how it will average, maybe 5 or 6 tonne ha. No rain in Jan hurt seed size severly as well, lowest on record.

Got crap weather for a week now, so harvest delayed. Barley price and straw price dropped.

Ant...
On behalf of F4F we hope you get it saved :Thumbp2:

Ant...
looks a nice crop

Ant...
Kangaroo is not a problem most on here would be familiar with... but out of curiousity do they lie in ? Do they not follow a consistent track. We’ve had some deer and they can do some damage when they rest in the crop but usually they just follow the exact same path through it each time.

Kangaroo is not a problem most on here would be familiar with... but out of curiousity do they lie in ? Do they not follow a consistent track. We’ve had some deer and they can do some damage when they rest in the crop but usually they just follow the exact same path through it each time.

They lie in it, they eat it, they never take the same path. There was a mob of 30 in it all of them 6ft tall. Cockies eat the grain and can wipe a hectare pretty quick.

Ant

Ant...
Very unfortunate. Bit of a pinkish hue to the straw too. What the M.c like? Is that jeep very long or is it just the photo?

Very unfortunate. Bit of a pinkish hue to the straw too. What the M.c like? Is that jeep very long or is it just the photo?

What is Mc?

All ford rangers are built on 1 chassis now, so single cab has 8ft bed. I have a new one being built now that will have tray back and jack off canopy, ill post some pics when its done, hopefully end of feb be on the road.

Ant..

Anyone have any opinion as to what SB feeding variety would suit sowing into a long term ley where the lodging pressure is likely to be high. Am thinking 60 units is all I'll chance on it. Planet is what the local co-op will take for malting but this will be kept for ourselves. So tons and standing power are what I'm after.

Anyone have any opinion as to what SB feeding variety would suit sowing into a long term ley where the lodging pressure is likely to be high. Am thinking 60 units is all I'll chance on it. Planet is what the local co-op will take for malting but this will be kept for ourselves. So tons and standing power are what I'm after.

Gangway

Id go with mickle or Irina, both exceptionally good to stand in a high fertility situation

I’d skip Mickle, breaking down badly to mildew last two years, it’s daddy snakebite fell apart too. Paustian is reliable too
Ya was surprised that came up, have cut enough of it to not be a fan, feck all straw and not even up to your knee. In fairness though the yield can surprise. Maybe it doesn't fall because it doesn't grow in the first place. :laugh:

I’d skip Mickle, breaking down badly to mildew last two years, it’s daddy snakebite fell apart too. Paustian is reliable too

As would I, nearly broke my heart in 2017, between keeping it clean and trying to get it up off the ground.

Recommended list would say Gangway or Irina with Mickle having a similar rating :scratchhead::scratchhead:

As said above recommended list tells the story.
Gangway and irina gives you the straw strength and the best of the disease profiles.
As also previously said Mickle is weak on mildew.
For the OP, I look at the recommended list first l look at straw and disease and pick the strongest varieties. I might not even look at the yeild results.
I think varities with poorer profiles it's to easy for there weakness to cause issues which won't alow you achieve the full of their potential yeild.

As said above recommended list tells the story.
Gangway and irina gives you the straw strength and the best of the disease profiles.
As also previously said Mickle is weak on mildew.
For the OP, I look at the recommended list first l look at straw and disease and pick the strongest varieties. I might not even look at the yeild results.
I think varities with poorer profiles it's to easy for there weakness to cause issues which won't alow you achieve the full of their potential yeild.

Reminds me of a well known forum member from Carlow saying once that the first thing he looks at on the wheat list is kph. Wise words.

Back