Spring Barley - General Thread

6600, why aren't you considering SW in that slot?
Loads of reasons, maybe someone can put me right.
  • Haven't had great success with SW in the past, have found you can get as good a yield from SB.
  • SW costs nearly as much to grow as WW, maybe 40 units less N and one less spray but with a much lower yield potential.
  • Short heads and small grain, if you get a dull August your grainfill is fecked. Also more prone to drought.
  • This ground will be getting lime, you can get a take-all like thing in wheat after lime even in a ley.
  • K lockup for a period after the the old grass can make establishment slow, and SW takes longer to get up and going than SB.
  • Can realistically grow a 3.5t crop of barley there with 80 units of N, its hard enough to get that in SW with a bigger spend.
  • Don't like cutting anything other than the lawn in September.

I'm beginning to feel inadequate, There's Lads on Twitter sowing SB already from Cork to Kildare :blink:

I would be thinking it's too cold to set spring barley at the moment. I'd prefer to wait and let it hit the ground running anyway..

It's hard to ignore this good weather but it is very early around here to even think about sowing. I'll wait until mid March and hope the weather plays ball.

Was tempted to put in some malting barley this week but going to wait another week or so and give out at the end of March because it’s still raining and I didn’t sow !!!!

I'd have been tempted to sow spring oats myself - if the seed was here. Monday delivery apparently - maybe a good thing - shorten the crow season at least...

Seed has arrived Monday and fertilser arrived today but we will hold out for a while yet. Taking the opportunity to get the last of the ploughing done and stones picked. Between myself and my father we each try take alternating days off work to get it done. I off on holidays Saturday for 10 days to so will crack at it when I get back on the 13th of March. Hopefully the weather will play ball then

Back