Spring Barley - General Thread

Well i fecked up looked at the forecast friday and it was saying 5mm rain Saturday 15 over Sunday so thought i was a good chance to get ahead of jobs ( too much work on in the day job) and get the 1st split of fertiliser out. Don't i feel like a fool now

Well i fecked up looked at the forecast friday and it was saying 5mm rain Saturday 15 over Sunday so thought i was a good chance to get ahead of jobs ( too much work on in the day job) and get the 1st split of fertiliser out. Don't i feel like a fool now

How much rain did you get? It mightn’t be so bad after. Biggest worry would be fresh fertilizer on sloping ground. If it was half melted I’d be happier.

What about barley sown just before the deluge? It was wet all right but the water disappeared very fast off it..

How much rain did you get? It mightn’t be so bad after. Biggest worry would be fresh fertilizer on sloping ground. If it was half melted I’d be happier.
Going by cork airport 92mm over the 3 days. Bad enough sunday but yesterday was starting to move soil so fertiliser had no hope you live and learn

Going by cork airport 92mm over the 3 days. Bad enough sunday but yesterday was starting to move soil so fertiliser had no hope you live and learn
20190416_091425.jpg
I'm about 20 miles east of Cork airport and pretty much the same thing. Walked a few fields of S Barley this evening and I'd be fairly confident they'll pull through. Good heat the next few days will send the barley up the water down.

The rain yesterday (40mm) and the heat today (12 degrees already) will bring on the barley in leaps and bounds. Was hoping to go top dressing this week but I'd say I'll have to wait until Friday to get ground dry enough again. Debating whether to split topdressing this year or front load it. Last year's drought didn't help splits...
View attachment 64907

is that a big miss on the left hand side :scared::laugh:

I'd get it all on in one shot before the next batch of rain on Monday.

@Funkeyfarmer don't beat yourself up over putting out the N, we've all made plenty of mistakes and hindsight is a wonderful thing.

is that a big miss on the left hand side :scared::laugh:

I'd get it all on in one shot before the next batch of rain on Monday.

@Funkeyfarmer don't beat yourself up over putting out the N, we've all made plenty of mistakes and hindsight is a wonderful thing.
No miss, that's my walking/inspection margin, have elec wire on that side of field supplying another field so leave a good gap here for maintenance/access. Could also be used for parking grain trailers on!

No miss, that's my walking/inspection margin, have elec wire on that side of field supplying another field so leave a good gap here for maintenance/access. Could also be used for parking grain trailers on!
As an auld character that I used to work with would say, "it's a landing strip for the crows!"

Barley that was just peeping seems to be slow about getting going again. These few mild days with a bit of sun are wanted!

Cork is there any chance you could become the next agricultural commissioner. Give us back all our chemicals and allow us to get rid of all the ditches

By God, if only I had the power.......

There would be a few other allowable actions added and removed from the list......!!!!

This is the field that I was most worried about following the 3.5” of rain. It’s always slow to soak after rain and can also cap (11” of silt ontop of yellow clay) the vigour of Planet is a big help in this situation, looks like we got away with it....

A49A6323-7CEF-44E1-A6F3-27F8DA732979.jpeg

When was that planted John?

I think it was the 3rd April K.

This is land that I’d never dare sow in March regardless of dry it is. Would normally be mid April.
It was shining after the rain as water just sat on top on Monday and a bit of Tuesday.

Planet is really vigorous, that definitely helped here.

Back