Spring Barley - General Thread

From the excellent yesterday evening to this **** this evening. The above of course is my parents and this is some of mine :sweat:

Gone, I think I've gotten you beaten on the worst barley of the year.

10yards either way and It's excellent of course but the whole field is very very uneven. Of course It's by the road....

View attachment 67400
Would it be worth checking ph just in areas it’s bad to see ?

Is drought showing in crops around you Nash?

Not yet anyway. Oats maybe a bit, grass has only slowed off in the last five days or so.

We got a nice sup of rain two weekends ago and even the last few days has been misty/drizzly and dull.

Lads is there a lot more wild oats around this year? I had two fields that had a few patches last year so sprayed those two. Still had a bit to rogue last week. However all the rest of the fields have a good scattering of it while they had none last year. I am picking approx 2 acres per hour at best so where has it all come from. No dung spread, all my own machines, and don't work in other farms. I am puzzled.

Lads is there a lot more wild oats around this year? I had two fields that had a few patches last year so sprayed those two. Still had a bit to rogue last week. However all the rest of the fields have a good scattering of it while they had none last year. I am picking approx 2 acres per hour at best so where has it all come from. No dung spread, all my own machines, and don't work in other farms. I am puzzled.

General consensus is that there are a lot more grass weeds around this year. I'm wondering did the drought last year stop them germinating or perhaps they came and went to seed in the heavy green covers last year.

It's coming in the seed. Have a field of costello wheat this year, almost 20 years lea, wouldn't have got dung possibly ever as far as we can remember, would have got a bit of slurry alright. Nice random scattering of wild oats in it, no patches and all plants are in the drill lines. We can come to no other conclusion only seed. It's just annoying when we are paying for blue label seed, not to mention three evenings going around 15 acre field pulling them and then the fear that you've missed a few

It's coming in the seed. Have a field of costello wheat this year, almost 20 years lea, wouldn't have got dung possibly ever as far as we can remember, would have got a bit of slurry alright. Nice random scattering of wild oats in it, no patches and all plants are in the drill lines. We can come to no other conclusion only seed. It's just annoying when we are paying for blue label seed, not to mention three evenings going around 15 acre field pulling them and then the fear that you've missed a few
I don't feel mine is seed related as it is a good bit heavier in patches which don't match drill runs. All blue label here too. As Nash said it may be related to the cover crop which grew exceptionally well last year. It's worse in spring barley where I had cover crop.
Getting sick of spending evenings at it.

I have them in a fresh lea that got Axial Pro. Thinking they germinated after the spray as they're only heading now.

Was speaking to a guy from a spray company yesterday. He’s having a lot more issues this year than normal with weed control complaints. Both wild oats and broadleaf weeds.
I’ve seen it myself on a couple of occasions this year. My own thinking is that weather conditions were harsh when some of these sprays were applied and uptakes were poor.

I'm going through the spring barley here at the moment and it's not wild oats I'm coming across... but all good oats! No oats grown on this farm in the previous 40/ 50 years...
All oats appearing in the drill line too
Blue label seed used
:scratchhead::scratchhead:.

I have wild oats in couple of places. However I have a lot of good oats in other crops that shouldn't be there considering it's fields were ploughed for the first time last year in about 30 years and only ever grew sb way back then so there shouldn't be any oats at all in them. All certified seed used. I've checked and the oats are in the lines of barley so they came in the seed.

Back