Spring Barley - General Thread

Could be a good business in that, sterile brome black grass and wild oat mix, convince the vegans that it's the new superfood and away we go, no more resistance to worry about

You wouldn't want to be getting human sludge though or biosolids or whatever it is these days :Whistle2:

Bit ruffled but the amount of weeds coming through :no::no::blushing:

View attachment 67834
Same here, when I was spraying the weed spray u wud say there was feck all there, prob that cold spell meant a lot were late germinating. I've a few wild oats came through in spring barley, got full rate axial pro, never seen it fail like that before, but it is only a few so not big job to walk thru

Same here, when I was spraying the weed spray u wud say there was feck all there, prob that cold spell meant a lot were late germinating. I've a few wild oats came through in spring barley, got full rate axial pro, never seen it fail like that before, but it is only a few so not big job to walk thru
Full rate axial pro?

Bit ruffled but the amount of weeds coming through :no::no::blushing:

View attachment 67834
Spotted a good few weeds in two on my longest fields in barley so included some Agroxone 50 in with the last spray to knock them back. Seemed to work. I'm blaming it on grazing the stubbles last January and not having enough regrowth to soak up the glyphosate.

Spotted a good few weeds in two on my longest fields in barley so included some Agroxone 50 in with the last spray to knock them back. Seemed to work. I'm blaming it on grazing the stubbles last January and not having enough regrowth to soak up the glyphosate.
Risky business putting on a hormone spray when the crop is in flower.
It’s nothing to do with the roundup or weed sprays not working I think, it’s because April and May were relatively dry so emergence of the weeds was slow and or late so a lot of weeds were just not there when the herbicide was done, same as the wild oats, when rain came then they emerged and now they are coming up through the crop and that’s what we are seeing and not ones we failed to kill.
April and May were very harsh months, plenty late frosts too

What are they Nash?
SUA's seem to be failing badly here.

Thistles galore and yellow bottom plus a good bit of deadnettle.

That field in the photo also has lots of grass through It, It's even tough walking through It at the minute.

I'm no agronomist but I'm blaming the weeds on the same as BB says above. It's only in the last ten days or so they are appearing around here.

Full rate axial pro?
It got 0.6l/ ha, I spray for one lad who uses 0.2l/ha, he says this is what his agronomist recommended but I never get to see the recommendations and I think he cuts them himself cos the axial a bit dear. Maybe he's right but he does be still out rogueing too so what's the point in my eyes

That field in the photo also has lots of grass through It, It's even tough walking through It at the minute.

I'm no agronomist but I'm blaming the weeds on the same as BB says above. It's only in the last ten days or so they are appearing around here.

Some sow thistle has appeared in one field of barley here too, never had it happen before.

In my case the ground got seriously wet and packed in that monsoon early April, it dried out then and cracks came in it, the weeds then germinated late up through these cracks. I’ve seen a lot of late germinators in winter crops also.

In my case the ground got seriously wet and packed in that monsoon early April, it dried out then and cracks came in it, the weeds then germinated late up through these cracks. I’ve seen a lot of late germinators in winter crops also.

I’m thinking of wholecropping one field of barley as I don’t want the neighbours talking about the sow thistles. There must be 4 or 5 thistles in the field.

I’m thinking of wholecropping one field of barley as I don’t want the neighbours talking about the sow thistles. There must be 4 or 5 thistles in the field.

And there was us thinking you were doing your bit for the Celtic Cow.:undecided::Whistle2:

sow thistles are very good for the bees :clap:, you can use that info free of charge

Spoke to a friend of mine there now, and he’s cutting Planet at 10.4t/ha with 8.2%protein.
*He’s getting €144 + 5(malt bonus) + vat.

Deep rich alluvial soils bordering the Loire, that doesn’t get the mad temps we get, even though he’s only 100km north of me.

*The money he’s getting for malting barley wouldn’t exactly help the situation in Ireland?

Back