Spring Barley - General Thread

I recon mine
My later sown spring barley don’t want any heavy rain or wind. Have two fields that were sowed on the 12th of April with random patches like this. All of the rest was sowed on the 29th and 30th of March and is that bit more advanced and not as green and all standing.

View attachment 68012
Will look like that monday morning

Laurette seed barley, said I'd take a photo before it possibly goes flat tomorrow with the forecast. 1st after grass with 80 units.

Attachments

• DSC_0109.JPG
    DSC_0109.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_0107.JPG
    DSC_0107.JPG
    292.1 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_0105.JPG
    DSC_0105.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 63
I'll take a picture of a field beside it that looked good earlier in the year but drought has taken its toll. Very thin now. Interesting year, for the most part following cover crops looks well, and slurry but dung is the best.

Anything that had cover crops around here seems to be a lot slower about ripening (which is probably a good thing).

I know some commented that crops looked poorer after them originally but he who is fastest doesn't always win the race.

Laurette seed barley, said I'd take a photo before it possibly goes flat tomorrow with the forecast. 1st after grass with 80 units.
They are some very heavy crops of spring barley around here too especially the later sown ones. It wouldn’t take much to flatten them.

It was sown April 1 so not too late. The crop I mentioned above was after forage rape and looked great earlier. Probably the second worst crop now, worst is following bare stubble which has Dept trials, 2nd crop after osr, and a heavy enough field so am a bit surprised by it.

Anything that had cover crops around here seems to be a lot slower about ripening (which is probably a good thing).

I know some commented that crops looked poorer after them originally but he who is fastest doesn't always win the race.
Opposite here
Barley after beet is looking awesome
Barley after cover crops is tidy
Barley after grass is also tidy albeit in last place

Have the same in after ley as well. It’s far enough away that I won’t see it unless I drive in a really really long lane

The later sown two fields took a bit of a beating last night. Not the worst I seen around but not a nice sight either

081DFA4C-B101-4F62-9064-9749977406FA.jpeg F8678141-4E32-4877-9608-62C0338482D3.jpeg

Hard to like that. Bit more tossed about here as well. I think it was more the wind that did the harm than the rain last night.

Wind that shakes the barley....
20190721_131940.jpg

This is what I was saying about dirty fields of barley.... It's by the road too :rolleyes2:, don't mind the grass, that's a dry drain. The thistles roughly correspond with where the spoil from the drains was levelled off.
20190721_141200.jpg

I can hear plenty of swearing cutting this too..:no:
20190721_141211.jpg

Spring barley looks good around here from an ear size and grain fill point of view. Certainly some Ramularia in crops too, they’re starting to change colour.

Planet swaying in the wind.

Back