Spring Barley - General Thread

Pulled into Tintern depot, inspection going on so have to keep vis vest on and stay in the tractor no fraternising with the other lads in the queue. Waiting extra long to tip because the lorries are being loaded out of the pile I have to tip in. The best craic!

I hope you had your hard hat as well :Whistle2:

I've put the duals on the combine, so the weather is bound to take up. You can all thank me later.

If that's what the weather God's needed for them to be appeased, maybe we should set up a GoFundMe page for those duals....

Very observant @humungus it’s there to light up the height gauge. Installed by my dad the first year he had the combine and still working 38 years later. Small acres but have had to work into dark a few nights this year.
its easy amuse me sometimes :smile:, some of the massey lads will want to buy it now :Thumbp2:

its easy amuse me sometimes :smile:, some of the massey lads will want to buy it now :Thumbp2:
Ha ha, them Massey lads have it bad alright.
I wouldn’t sell her for love nor money, great to be able to do my own especially in a year like this when I am only snatching a few acres a day. It’s slow but better than waiting on a contractor.

Last edited:
Ha ha, them Massey lads have it bad alright.
I wouldn’t sell her for love not money, great to be able to do my own especially in a year like this when I am only snatching a few acres a day. It’s slow but better than waiting on a contractor.
its not for the money you save but in a catchy year its great to have your own combine alright

finished cutting the planet here,averaged 3.15t over the 27 acre
last 8a field was poor enough at 2.25t/a with very poor grain fill(the field that had copper deficiency)and the straw flat as a pancake
every thing else had a good lean on it but was easy enough to cut

Started and finished my bit of spring barley today. Nothing weighed in yet as it's sitting in trailers atm but fag packet calculations have it at 3.5 an acre going on the weight the trailers were carrying in wb. 10.5 well packed bales and acre of straw. Errigal was the breed. I don't know anyone else who grew it but I liked what I read about it when I was deciding what to sow and I'd happily grow it again. Straw had a lovely colour despite all the rain lately.

Made up all the weigh bridge dockets today while getting my lunch and over the 50ac of laureate seed barley I averaged 3.5t/ac and all passed for seed. The earlier sown stuff sowed on 30th March did well with most fields at 3.55 - 3.75t/ac. Moisture’s were between 20.5% and 18%. The last two fields which weren’t sowed till the 12th April were back at a shake at over 3t/ac at moisture’s below 16% yesterday. All straw is baled and did around 9bales/ac with all sold bar 60 bales. Happy to have it done, now to finish off a bit of spring barley for two lads and winter wheat for another man. 2 and half or 3 days will do it all.

finished cutting the planet here,averaged 3.15t over the 27 acre
last 8a field was poor enough at 2.25t/a with very poor grain fill(the field that had copper deficiency)and the straw flat as a pancake
every thing else had a good lean on it but was easy enough to cut
and 237 4ft rounds and 330 small bales aswell

Finished up the spring barley earlier this week. All Planet.

My own averaged 3.13t/ac when adjusted to 20% mc. Very happy with that considering one field had a lot of grass in it and was very very shook after that heavy rain in mid April. My guess is that field did roughly 2.5t/ac while the better field did around 3.5t/ac. Over 11 bales to the acre though!

On the home block, I haven't done the figures fully yet and judging by whats in the shed for home feeding, I'd estimate between 3.5t/3.6t which again we'd be happy with but a good few heads on the ground. Long term continuous spring barley ground.

spring barley 3.85t /ac @ 20% all gangway. Piece after beet was over 4t, good grain fill which I always struggle to achieve ĺit beats the record for spring barley here. It was all either after beet or fodder rape. Fodder rape ploughed up very fluffy and stayed a bit uneven better consolidation is the only thing id change. 120 units well tossed but not badly lodged.

A lot steeper than it looks cut down tow up, chain tied onto the front axle Finnished :clap:
thumbnail

Just wondering, I had one field which was a terrible case with soft thistles this year.

Is this likely a symptom of anything else?

Appreciate it was a bad year for weed control with late germination of weeds in general.

Same spray wasn't used on the rest of the barley but did a great job on the oats.

Back