Spring Barley - General Thread

We have a Kverneland here with about six years and I wouldn’t buy another one. A couple of serious cracks in the frame, which were repaired under warranty and it does away a bearing or two every year.

We have a Kverneland here with about six years and I wouldn’t buy another one. A couple of serious cracks in the frame, which were repaired under warranty and it does away a bearing or two every year.
Is the Kverneland not a Dalbo painted a different colour? Any Dalbo I was familiar with had issues cracking the frame anyway.

Most around here have either NRH or Heva at this stage.

Have you enough power for paddles? I was looking at a second hand one with paddles but nearly everyone warned me about power requirement!!

Most around here have either NRH or Heva at this stage.

Have you enough power for paddles? I was looking at a second hand one with paddles but nearly everyone warned me about power requirement!!
Yea I would be fine for power, have a t7200 so if it's not fit to pull one I may give up

Got this on tams about 3 years ago. Very happy with it. There's a long warranty on the snowflake rings but what sold it to me is the paddles. There a narrow paddle but way more of them and also the angle is adjustable. If its just levelling you want on headlands etc have them nearly straight and it's like a grader but if it's some cultivation you put them fairly flat. Most fields get pressed with the plough press but it's Great for headlands and irregular shaped fields that the press would break your heart in. It's having a quiet time this autumn though.
If I remember correctly when I priced a dalbo at the farm machinery show in the spring they were close to 20k which would be just to much to justify, but I'll certainly check them out again
Looked a fine machine to be fair, only thing I wasn't gone on was the big long drawbar on them??

It is a few years since I looked at the KV rollers, pre Kobota, they use to be Rau, but looked up the new ones and definitely are not Rau. So @no name it was the KV-Rau that use to give a good bit of trouble, I think.

Just seen the comments on the Cambridge rollers. Rau was part of the Kverneland Group but is one of the brand names which was dropped a few years ago along with Taarup. For some reason I think French manufacturer Jean de Bru made some bits like disc harrows and rollers for Kverneland but I could be dreaming.

@CORK would 48 be a fairly typical TGW for Ganway this year? Just trying to quantify my seed. For mid to late March sowing I was planning on going for 170 Kg/Ha which equates to 10.8 St/Ac or should I go a little stronger?

sowed gangway last few years I would try and aim the following end feb 10 stone early to mid March 11 stone end March 11.5 works out generally ok

@CORK would 48 be a fairly typical TGW for Ganway this year? Just trying to quantify my seed. For mid to late March sowing I was planning on going for 170 Kg/Ha which equates to 10.8 St/Ac or should I go a little stronger?

I’ll come back to you on that

P
8 stone to acre

counting seeds went out in ould gods time
I thought the Teagasc research showed you could sow low rates in Wexford but further north you needed to up the rates to get the yield.
In America with the short seasons they sow high rates because they cannot waste energy on tillering. More sunlight in Wexford would provide energy for tillering .

Back