Spring Barley - General Thread

I’ve given all the spring barley here 0.15-0.2 L of Moddus. (Gangway after WOSR and Planet after Planet)
It’s very thick and lush looking.

2nd last leaf coming out in it. I expect to apply 0.5-0.7 of Terpal when flag leaf is peeping. This sounds mad for spring barley but I don’t want a flat crop.

Growth regulators have a yield penalty but hopefully that penalty is lower than that experienced with a flat crop.

I never usually bother counting grains on cereals but I’ve opened a few ears and they look long to me.
Consistently counting 26-28 grains excluding tiny ones at the top of the ear.
How many of these turn into proper grains is another matter but if you do the sums there is frightening yield potential if everything went right for it.
F77B5258-E3F8-4D27-ABCA-D53819F7171E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My crops seem to have a bit of scorch since last fungicide....helix, modem and combitop. Noticed a neighbours the same.

My crops seem to have a bit of scorch since last fungicide....helix, modem and combitop. Noticed a neighbours the same.
Could it be wind more so than the spray?
Crops around here have grown away from last weeks wind scorch.

Brought my late sown barley up to 90 units of K last week before rain. As of now it has also 45 units of P and 67 units of N also. It looks a bit poor in spots still. I want to apply 5kg of combitop and aphicide, no rain in sight, wonder would it be safe to go out one evening and spray it in the cool? Or would ye leave it till rain. It got a good shot of rain last weekend.

Brought my late sown barley up to 90 units of K last week before rain. As of now it has also 45 units of P and 67 units of N also. It looks a bit poor in spots still. I want to apply 5kg of combitop and aphicide, no rain in sight, wonder would it be safe to go out one evening and spray it in the cool? Or would ye leave it till rain. It got a good shot of rain last weekend.
You’d be fine in the evening, I’m managing to do our bit in evenings over the past few weeks.

Is there any need for an aphidicide?

Different view of the same field, I'd say it's the best one too
IMG_2460.jpg IMG_2475.jpg

Different parts of the field to the right in the above picture
IMG_2461.jpg IMG_2462.jpg

Contrast of different view point and camera angle. It looks OK from ground level.
IMG_2472.jpg IMG_2473.jpg

The best is knee high with awns showing. The worst is thin and 6" high.

The last few photos above just goes to show how much we are at mercy to the weather that comes our way.

Awns making an appearance on the most advanced barley here this evening. End of March sown and I'm not alone in this area.

The last few photos above just goes to show how much we are at mercy to the weather that comes our way.

Awns making an appearance on the most advanced barley here this evening. End of March sown and I'm not alone in this area.
The temperatures will be making the plants go through their stages quickly. Second last leaf half way out here now and flag leaf will be appearing quickly.
I think it’s going to cool down from mid week so that should slow things a bit.
The plants will be soaking up huge amounts of sunshine which should end up in the grain tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 78789
Gangway sown March 24th, very short and like myself, badly in need of a drink!
Looking very nice.

Walked through the plots here, things are moving fast now. A lot of flag leaves out compared to Friday. I fear for some of the plots. At least they’ve had over a month longer in the ground compared to 2018.

Is this really starting to look like 1984?

I know it was a topic discussed recently but I was planning doing T1 this week on barley sown around 12-14th May, would you bother with how fast they are growing ? Maybe just a T2 when flag is out considering it will probably be out in the next week or 2

Back