Spring Barley - General Thread

What’s the best product ? @CORK probably the best one to answer that
I don’t know which is for sure the best product but if I’m treating Manganese deficiency I use simple powdered Manganese Sulphate (usually around 31% Mn). It’s also a source of Sulphur. It’s very cost effective.

As mentioned already it can be a bit hot on crops at times so be careful with it. I usually just apply once or twice on bad Manganese ground but I’ve given some spring barley up to 5 applications this year without any scorch from it (spraying in the evening and not mixing much with it).

Max rate is 5kg/Ha but I usually go with 2.5-4kg. Never mix with CMPP and do not breath the dust.
Mantrac is supposed to be good too.

Spring barley awning out already. If it doesn't shortly get rain it won't cover the cost of diesel to harvest it.
I was doing costings today. Based on €140/tn, €150/ac for straw & €160/ac for machinery, I need 1.6tn/ac to break even. That’s for feed barley.
If spring barley is suffering badly across the country, straw will be worth more than the €15/bale I’ve factored in. For winter barley, the figure is 1.9tn.

Pictures taken exactly one year apart. Standing in the same spot, one week earlier sowing this year, awns all peeping, not good

Attachments

• 66F5B2D0-99A4-406B-B253-12845797160C.png
    66F5B2D0-99A4-406B-B253-12845797160C.png
    989.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 0076E2D0-4EDB-4BC6-A18B-7E317C39DCD5.png
    0076E2D0-4EDB-4BC6-A18B-7E317C39DCD5.png
    707.7 KB · Views: 56
  • EED8F2FF-8DD0-4529-96EB-CDC3B5C05EA2.jpeg
    EED8F2FF-8DD0-4529-96EB-CDC3B5C05EA2.jpeg
    309.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 47851726-0C22-45BF-BD3C-F877DAB01C40.jpeg
    47851726-0C22-45BF-BD3C-F877DAB01C40.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 55
Spring barley awning out already. If it doesn't shortly get rain it won't cover the cost of diesel to harvest it.[/
I was doing costings today. Based on €140/tn, €150/ac for straw & €160/ac for machinery, I need 1.6tn/ac to break even. That’s for feed barley.
If spring barley is suffering badly across the country, straw will be worth more than the €15/bale I’ve factored in. For winter barley, the figure is 1.9tn.
€374 an acre total costs? Your €15 a bale is on the flat tho so €18.50 a bale baled? Yes/no?

Spring crops have suffered here alot in the heat since last week.
Awns out and bottom leaves dying off in dryer spots.

you,ll be doing well to get 10 bales to the acre unless they,re those tumble weed bales that blow across the field in a gentle breeze :smile:
I agree, I’m just basing the calculations on my own estimates. As I said, everyone is in a different situation. If straw is scarce, the price probably rise to compensate for some of the lower yield.
I’m planning on giving ous a bit of Terpal early tomorrow morning as it’s thick and a bit soft, who knows what weather lies ahead.

I agree, I’m just basing the calculations on my own estimates. As I said, everyone is in a different situation. If straw is scarce, the price probably rise to compensate for some of the lower yield.
I’m planning on giving ous a bit of Terpal early tomorrow morning as it’s thick and a bit soft, who knows what weather lies ahead.
if we get rain soon will barley stretch a good bit or is it too late once it starts shooting out ?

if we get rain soon will barley stretch a good bit or is it too late once it starts shooting out ?
I was thinking about that today. If it’s headed out I don’t think rain will make it stretch that much more than it would have stretched anyway. It certainly won’t resurrect any tillers that have already died out.

It's a bit early to be throwing in the towel yet bad and all as crops are (and I've plenty of bad ones myself):undecided:

I'd be going easy on your straw returns too, might be more like 10 bales /ha yet if things are doing well and that might be a huge yield for some of us. And no way can I see the lofty heights of 2018 being reached either with straw in sheds and poor returns for beef too.

Planet has awns well out here but head not out, at paintbrush stage. Similar headcount to Danielk and similar kind of height. Has stretched and thinned out in my eyes over the last week.

It's a bit early to be throwing in the towel yet bad and all as crops are (and I've plenty of bad ones myself):undecided:

I'd be going easy on your straw returns too, might be more like 10 bales /ha yet if things are doing well and that might be a huge yield for some of us. And no way can I see the lofty heights of 2018 being reached either with straw in sheds and poor returns for beef too.

Planet has awns well out here but head not out, at paintbrush stage. Similar headcount to Danielk and similar kind of height. Has stretched and thinned out in my eyes over the last week.
The biggest problem is that in 2018 with poor yields due to drought we got €210/ton for feed barley, this year it might be a third less. A lot of straw has started to move around here lately, buyers have seen the prospect of straw being scarce and are clearing out last years stocks cheaply before the €20 bale makes a appearance again.

The biggest problem is that in 2018 with poor yields due to drought we got €210/ton for feed barley, this year it might be a third less. A lot of straw has started to move around here lately, buyers have seen the prospect of straw being scarce and are clearing out last years stocks cheaply before the €20 bale makes a appearance again.

I thought I had enough of doom and gloom in my post so that is why I was not mentioning price.

One thing is for certain, any concerns about a domestic barley glut are disappearing and any stores might soon be emptying too.

I thought I had enough of doom and gloom in my post so that is why I was not mentioning price.

One thing is for certain, any concerns about a domestic barley glut are disappearing and any stores might soon be emptying too.
See Boortmalt still haven't fixed whatever fell down last year.

I have 95 now. Reseeding in dust on August 15th after SB and clearing straw.
95 we did 1st cut mid may and 2nd cut was mowed 4th December picked on the 6th with snowflakes drifting down in the headlights
Cost us a fortune feeding lorry loads of straw and molasses to the milkers

Had a wander through the Gangway this morning whilst looking for the kite which had departed from its lookout in the WB. I was more optimistic when leaving the field. Although dry/rock under the surface areas are thinner, in general the crop is close to 2 ft high. Time will tell, it just wont be a 4 ton year.
20200607_091237.jpg 20200607_091121.jpg

Gangway after WOSR. Just over my knee.

Must try and do a stem count.

The Moddus has put a bit of a spring into it and the Planet. 0.65L of Terpal last Thursday morning will probably slow down ear emergence a bit and stop it getting too tall.

The spring barley appears to be coping better than the spring wheat. Flags out in the spring oats, it’ll be short I think. The oats will need rain or I expect it to yield relatively poorly, oats likes a cool wet summer.

A325D41B-6AD2-44ED-85AA-28D082A7E1BD.jpeg FA67C749-F76F-486C-A51A-5601DF1273D0.jpeg

Back