Spring Barley Variety Poll

What spring barley are you going to plant this spring?

• Mickle

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Paustian

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Planet

Votes: 34 66.7%
  • Propino

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Sanette

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Laureate

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Olympus

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Other variety

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Irina

Votes: 15 29.4%

• Total voters
Turns out I am actually get wylanda now for malting white label seed. It's new to the list and didn't hear much about it. What is your opinion ?

Seems i will be getting this variety from Boortmalt for sowing Spring 2018. how did you get on with it after. Yeild, breaking down, straw , diseases etc....

Seems i will be getting this variety from Boortmalt for sowing Spring 2018. how did you get on with it after. Yeild, breaking down, straw , diseases etc....
Wasn’t inpressed with it and was talking to another man who wasn’t impressed with it. I had the white label whylanda after beet and had just normal malting laureate in the rest of the fields after spring barley. The laureate yeilded .4 of a ton more than the whylanda even though it was after the break crop. Maybe it was just my bad luck though but all crops got treated the same. Granted I was only giving enough seed to sow 10.5st/ac while I sowed laureate at 12.
Nice crop of straw though it did get a growth reg but still got 9 solid chopped bales/ac.
Bit of breakdown but no worse than most malting variety’s. I got it cut just as it was ripe so wasn’t left to long while ripe.
As for disease it did get mildew bad so it got sprayed earlier on than the laureate.
I was happy with the laureate this year if possible.

I said I’d let Daniel comment before contributing.
The feedback that Ive had is that Wylanda was a bit variable in terms of yield. It seems to have performed better in Wexford than other areas in the year gone by.

It did pick up Mildew (it was a bad Mildew year) so that certainly wouldn’t have helped.
It’s a slightly earlier ripening variety too, many crops were sown a bit late so that wouldn’t have suited an early ripener (short growing season).

I would like to go for Paustian again next spring, however the only problem I had was where I slightly over fed two fields ( 110 units on a second after ley and 100 units on a first after ley). Both fields yielded 3.9 tons/acre but there was a huge amount of regrowth over the full width of the combine header. Does over feeding make the crop/grain head very brittle or is Paustian slightly more susceptible to losses? Other fields which received 125 units/acre are totally clean now but are a longer time out of grass. Just curious.
MF30

I would like to go for Paustian again next spring, however the only problem I had was where I slightly over fed two fields ( 110 units on a second after ley and 100 units on a first after ley). Both fields yielded 3.9 tons/acre but there was a huge amount of regrowth over the full width of the combine header. Does over feeding make the crop/grain head very brittle or is Paustian slightly more susceptible to losses? Other fields which received 125 units/acre are totally clean now but are a longer time out of grass. Just curious.
MF30
K lockup would be my guess, can't give enough K to crops grown after lea.

K lockup would be my guess, can't give enough K to crops grown after lea.
Definitely my thoughts too. K is usually scarce after Ley even if soil test says it’s there. Locked up in sod. Should be available in the second year as sods have rotted.

Some yield!!

I said I’d let Daniel comment before contributing.
The feedback that Ive had is that Wylanda was a bit variable in terms of yield. It seems to have performed better in Wexford than other areas in the year gone by.

It did pick up Mildew (it was a bad Mildew year) so that certainly wouldn’t have helped.
It’s a slightly earlier ripening variety too, many crops were sown a bit late so that wouldn’t have suited an early ripener (short growing season).

Sure everything is better in Wexico :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Laureate here for malting and white label seed for Boorthmalt this year. Happy with it last year so let’s hope for a good year

Back