Spring beans

Most of ours aren't ready yet. Another week should bring them around. Most of the crops near the coast here are being cut now.
2.5tn appears to be the average or so I've been told.

The small patch of Boxer at the trial site was ripe so I cut it yesterday. I don't know the moisture but it was low, probably around 20%.

They weighed like lead, what was in the trailer weighed 3 times what I would have guessed.

Worked out at 3.41tn/ac which amazed me. There was a lot of tramline turnings in the square too which wouldn't have done the yield any favours.

The main crop should be ready in a week and it looks better than this crop. Fingers crossed.

The small patch of Boxer at the trial site was ripe so I cut it yesterday. I don't know the moisture but it was low, probably around 20%.

They weighed like lead, what was in the trailer weighed 3 times what I would have guessed.

Worked out at 3.41tn/ac which amazed me. There was a lot of tramline turnings in the square too which wouldn't have done the yield any favours.

The main crop should be ready in a week and it looks better than this crop. Fingers crossed.
1 more decimal place and that's a twitter yield John

Cut a load of Beans this evening moisture around 19% to 22% . They are not quite ready as there are green stalks . I think I might put in a bigger screen as the returns are still returning even when the combine is not cutting . The sample is very clean . A few neighbours have beans cut and fields finished and the yields are over 3 tonne but the moisture are up to 23% on the weighbridge .

Cut a load of Beans this evening moisture around 19% to 22% . They are not quite ready as there are green stalks . I think I might put in a bigger screen as the returns are still returning even when the combine is not cutting . The sample is very clean . A few neighbours have beans cut and fields finished and the yields are over 3 tonne but the moisture are up to 23% on the weighbridge .
Can you not open the lower screen to the same size as the upper or are you working a fixed screen? If beans are ripe, dry and clean your fan should be doing all the work to the point that you could actually remove the lower screen and still have a clean sample.

Can you not open the lower screen to the same size as the upper or are you working a fixed screen? If beans are ripe, dry and clean your fan should be doing all the work to the point that you could actually remove the lower screen and still have a clean sample.

fixed screen here. Had to take it out yesterday as the returns were flat out. I made a big steel square to slide in instead of the screen - this gives the clamps something to squeeze on and therefore hold the top screen tight. It's an old Deutz 2385.

I had top and bottom set at 25 and 20mm respectively yesterday and they were doing a nice job. Easy cut and trash once the long dividers were on.

Delivered the last of our Boxer cut yesterday. Not sure of mc% yet but it will be high I'd say.
The 50ac came in at 3.1tn as cut. I'm happy with that.
We've had 29mm of rain today.

What's the calculation for weight loss if drying beans?

What's the calculation for weight loss if drying beans?
Same as cereals if you are simply calculating weight of moisture removed. I guess there will be a bit more lost besides moisture.

Reactions: KJL
I taught it was the 1.25% or Therabouts up to 25% but over that it was maybe more.
Any of the calculators I have ever seen it is flat right up through the moisture %, but once you go to the higher moistures it will need an extra run through the drier which can lead to more handling so will lead to more invisible losses. In a good system this is around 1%, but can be higher and in a bad system there can be 2 handlings for each run through the drier.

Back