Spring beans

can you cut beans as wholecrop for animal feed ? neighbour cut wheat wholecrop and his nutritionalist said beans would be much better :scratchhead:

Yes, Teagasc have trials showing them as excellent wholecrop.

I know where there’s a crop for sale. Heavy ground with no drought symptoms.
whats the pro,s and cons ? and what sort of value compared to wholecrop wheat ? incidentally my neighbour bought 94 acres to put in the pit :scared:

Wasn’t sure whether to put this in the cover crop or bean thread.
Strictly speaking, they’re summer beans.

We had 25ac that was too wet to sow barley in early May. Didn’t fancy cutting crap barley in September so we decided to sow beans for the subsidy.

Gave the barley stubble Gallup and sowed direct with a Sumo DTS. Used 11stn of Boxer seed as wanted to show effort to produce a crop in the event of an inspection and not completely take the piss.

No fertilizer, no weed spray. Land would be Index 4 for P & K.

Didn’t look st them for 6wks as was so pissed off with the carry on.
Then came back from holidays and got a fright - they had formed a crop.
Sprayed 0.75kg of a Signum as there was some rain coming so as to prevent chocolate spot (in normal weather we spray 3 times).

There are some weeds but not much.

At some point, I’ll throw on the row crops and give it reglone before harvesting them with a combine.
They’re waist high on me and higher in some areas.

Advertised them for wholecrop, plenty of calls but nothing happened.

Weird year.

E5244766-89B3-47FE-BD3E-EC656B5A573F.jpeg 1AE3620D-9ED3-4D5E-8B6D-BEB755F5EF71.jpeg BFC5829C-6B9E-4DC1-8E02-F4E59F7073E3.jpeg E180175C-5ACF-4C79-B3F2-4052739C0B9D.jpeg DCC9AD6C-9479-47AE-B02C-5E8132990130.jpeg 51BC1CB5-F313-40B5-89E4-9A535E3228E3.jpeg B3A5A432-162E-4607-AB16-3B8B2393CAF6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn’t sure whether to put this in the cover crop or bean thread.
Strictly speaking, they’re summer beans.

We had 25ac that was too wet to sow barley in early May. Didn’t fancy cutting crap barley in September so we decided to sow beans for the subsidy.
Was expecting to rotavate them in at the end of August and sow WOSR.

Gave the barley stubble Gallup and sowed direct with a Sumo DTS. Used 11stn of Boxer seed as wanted to show effort to produce a crop in the event of an inspection and not completely take the piss.

No fertilizer, no weed spray. Land would be Index 4 for P & K.

Didn’t look st them for 6wks as was so pissed off with the carry on.
Then came back from holidays and got a fright - they had formed a crop.
Sprayed 0.75kg of a Signum as there was some rain coming so as to prevent chocolate spot (in normal weather we spray 3 times).

There are some weeds but not much.

At some point, I’ll throw on the row crops and give it reglone before harvesting them with a combine.
They’re waist high on me and higher in some areas.

Advertised them for wholecrop, plenty of calls but nothing happened.

Weird year.

View attachment 57471 View attachment 57472 View attachment 57473 View attachment 57474 View attachment 57475 View attachment 57476 View attachment 57477
Looking at your beans it’s now clear why your wheat was so good....moisture

They look great

Looking at your beans it’s now clear why your wheat was so good....moisture

They look great

Thanks, Moisture was the reason they were sown too - too much of it for barley!!
Not disturbing the soil helped too.
This is much different ground to where the wheat was, the wheat ground suffered a lot more from the drought.
Wheat in this ground would have rotted!

Cut our beans on Thursday 31 tons from 24 ha. This truly was a bad year for dry farms.
Yes unfortunately you can sing that, most of Leinster has been really hammered, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Carlow and Wexford seem worst effected. I was lucky to a degree getting one or two of the very local showers and my cropping program was less water dependant than other years.
Winter Barley down over 1T/ha, Winter Wheat down over 3T/ha Spring Barely not all cut but down over 2T/ha and the rest will be worse and beans looking like being well under half. Some of my neighbours are getting on much worse especially any that missed the few stray showers. Good prices and good straw will cover some of the hammering, but the Southeast is hurting.

We had intense heat and solar radiation at a crucial stage of flowering . I think it was more than drought involved
Experiments were conducted over 2 years to quantify the response of faba bean (Vicia faba L.) to heat stress. Potted winter faba bean plants (cv. Wizard) were exposed to temperature treatments (18/10; 22/14; 26/18; 30/22; 34/26 °C day/night) for 5 days during floral development and anthesis. Developmental stages of all flowers were scored prior to stress, plants were grown in exclusion from insect pollinators to prevent pollen movement between flowers, and yield was harvested at an individual pod scale, enabling effects of heat stress to be investigated at a high resolution. Susceptibility to stress differed between floral stages; flowers were most affected during initial green‐bud stages. Yield and pollen germination of flowers present before stress showed threshold relationships to stress, with lethal temperatures (t 50) ˜28 °C and ~32 °C, while whole plant yield showed a linear negative relationship to stress with high plasticity in yield allocation, such that yield lost at lower nodes was partially compensated at higher nodal positions. Faba bean has many beneficial attributes for sustainable modern cropping systems but these results suggest that yield will be limited by projected climate change, necessitating the development of heat tolerant cultivars, or improved resilience by other mechanisms such as earlier flowering times.

This study has focused on whole plant responses to promote wider applicability of its findings, measuring whole plant yield mass, seed set, pod set, yield distributions and corresponding changes in pollen germination. Given the lack of information regarding faba bean responses to heat stress, the aim of this research was to investigate several key questions: (i) Is faba bean susceptible to heat stress within the temperature range known to damage other crops? (ii) What are the consequences of heat stress for faba bean yield? (iii) What are the mechanisms of yield reductions, and can yield reductions be linked to gametophyte damage as in other species?

We had intense heat and solar radiation at a crucial stage of flowering . I think it was more than drought involved
Experiments were conducted over 2 years to quantify the response of faba bean (Vicia faba L.) to heat stress. Potted winter faba bean plants (cv. Wizard) were exposed to temperature treatments (18/10; 22/14; 26/18; 30/22; 34/26 °C day/night) for 5 days during floral development and anthesis. Developmental stages of all flowers were scored prior to stress, plants were grown in exclusion from insect pollinators to prevent pollen movement between flowers, and yield was harvested at an individual pod scale, enabling effects of heat stress to be investigated at a high resolution. Susceptibility to stress differed between floral stages; flowers were most affected during initial green‐bud stages. Yield and pollen germination of flowers present before stress showed threshold relationships to stress, with lethal temperatures (t 50) ˜28 °C and ~32 °C, while whole plant yield showed a linear negative relationship to stress with high plasticity in yield allocation, such that yield lost at lower nodes was partially compensated at higher nodal positions. Faba bean has many beneficial attributes for sustainable modern cropping systems but these results suggest that yield will be limited by projected climate change, necessitating the development of heat tolerant cultivars, or improved resilience by other mechanisms such as earlier flowering times.

This study has focused on whole plant responses to promote wider applicability of its findings, measuring whole plant yield mass, seed set, pod set, yield distributions and corresponding changes in pollen germination. Given the lack of information regarding faba bean responses to heat stress, the aim of this research was to investigate several key questions: (i) Is faba bean susceptible to heat stress within the temperature range known to damage other crops? (ii) What are the consequences of heat stress for faba bean yield? (iii) What are the mechanisms of yield reductions, and can yield reductions be linked to gametophyte damage as in other species?
A fella working with Quinn's Baltinglass told me back in 2013 that once temp hits 30 degrees for a few consecutive they start to drop flowers and die off
Will stick with them here as they've done well over the last 8 years with a yield drop of .75 t/ac in 2013 the only exception
If our summers start getting hotter and drier it will make them too risky and variable crop to grow - here's hoping that doesn't happen I really like them as a crop and they make a great contribution to an overall rotation

Last edited:
Have not seen one decent field of beans around here, most are stunted, gappy with poor establishment or burnt in.

If the greening requirements go or the Protein subsidy is removed then there will be a serious reduction in acres from an economic standpoint.

I’m not the worlds biggest fan of beans, trying to get them sown in time is never easy.

That said, we need rotation. A lot of people with winter crops have noticed the difference between a crop of barley or wheat after a decent break crop and a second or third crop cereal. It’s commonly been 1tn/ac in wheat this year.
The difference is also there with spring barley.

A good crop of beans has left a decent margin here in recent years, i certainly wouldn’t give them up after one bad year for the sake of chasing high straw/grain prices which may or may not be there in 2019.

I see us having to grow 4th crop spring barley next year for rotational reasons (GLAS cover crop - a right nuisance, and too late for WOSR), it’s something I quite dislike doing and look forward to getting a breakcrop into that ground again.

Last edited by a moderator:
@CORK your crop of Beans is outstanding and must have missed the blasting heat at the crucial stages. I grew Beans in the 90,s and got a bad crop in a dry year. If a field is heavy enough to grow a good crop of beans it is too heavy to sow early . I was up Kildare direction yesterday and all the Beans are Black ready to harvest but my fear is a green butt coming after the rain .

AB210A16-C967-4956-A6C3-E56D133AFC34.png 5C971803-1099-4AC1-9545-F4EF3E8FF5E6.png 90D6BF0F-751F-43C4-A136-2B52F3B81584.png
The 3 screen shots just tell a little bit about temps in particular. I think yields in east cork are slightly ahead of here. The night of the thunder and lightening and the inch plus of rain may have been a little help.

Back