Spring beans

Thanks Cork,
I think I owe you a time travelling thanks from a tip before I signed up. That all sounds a bit startrek. You get the idea!

Huh? You have me confused (dont worry, thats easily done).....

Last edited by a moderator:
Spring beans are ripening in quite quickly now. Sample looks lovely and bright but seed size looks a lot smaller than last year. Yield will be effected I'd say....Instasize(21).jpg

Sprayed off 100 acres of them yesterday at different farms and grain size looked small alright.

Spring beans are ripening in quite quickly now. Sample looks lovely and bright but seed size looks a lot smaller than last year. Yield will be effected I'd say....View attachment 39305
Have they still a bit to ripen? Ours have gone a bit shrivelled, probably due the rust setting in killing leaves early, not expecting much of a yield from them.

Have they still a bit to ripen? Ours have gone a bit shrivelled, probably due the rust setting in killing leaves early, not expecting much of a yield from them.

Yeah, two weeks id say....no shrivelling yet but we'll see.....

Our Beans are very near reddy to cut . There is no rush on cutting beans as they will hold but any greenery gets worse the longer you wait . A field up the Road Claydon Drilled in Febuary and got lots of compost is six weeks off being ripe . The late great Stan Brophy got fed up looking at a crop of Beans and he whole cropped them with a Kemper Head and ensiled them .

Has anybody kept beans for home feeding?
If so how, crimping, acid treatment?
Also any test results for protein?

Has anybody kept beans for home feeding?
If so how, crimping, acid treatment?
Also any test results for protein?
I dried Beans and kept them . Its hard to do a moisture on them . Ran them through the dryer to get the sweat out of them then ran them through again and they cleaned well because the admixture was dry and was taken out by the aspirator . Sold them to a guy making coarse ration and he collected them a load every ten days till they were gone . A lot of Beans were stored by the merchants in the Waterford direction and were treated with acid because I know a lorry man that hauled some of them .

I think the beans need a serious dose of propcorn tho to try penetrate the hard shell, I can find out the rate as I know I have it written down somewhere. I know 1 or 2 that keep beans for themselves but I'd be pretty sure there is a max inclusion rate per head per day so a few tonnes would go a long way of you get me. They are tough to roll tho at lower moistures.

Just curious, every now and then I think it would be great to have all feed home grown.
In reality, we get any extra protein we need for finishing cattle from a bought in ration.
Feed soya to the younger cattle.
We have not grown beans as yet, slow to change... Watching with interest.

I have a merchant customer in Wexford who sells the world of rolled beans and barley to beef lads. Has been at it for a good number of years, well before beans became popular.
I think he just treats and rolls the beans, no point making dust of them.

He says that lads get on really well with them.

to the best of my understanding you can feed up to 30% of cattles concentate intake. I intend to change from soya to beans to balance beet for the cattle. my understanding is that the ration will be higher in energy so saving some barley in the mix

We feed our own beans but get them toasted, its a little more costly but reduced the tannins meaning you can feed a little more of them, fatten cattle on 4:1 barley beans mixed in with silage through diet feeder, impressive performance compared with some rations ive fed in past.

We feed our own beans but get them toasted, its a little more costly but reduced the tannins meaning you can feed a little more of them, fatten cattle on 4:1 barley beans mixed in with silage through diet feeder, impressive performance compared with some rations ive fed in past.

Do you crack/roll them at all as part of that process Always Thinking?

What is the expected price of beans this year? Just wondering how it compares to price of equivalent blend of soya and barley.

I think contracts were done at €160/tn in this area.
You seem to know a lot about beans...... and sumo drills, I know a man down there who does a lot of them with one is there a chance you'll be giving the plough a break?

You seem to know a lot about beans...... and sumo drills, I know a man down there who does a lot of them with one is there a chance you'll be giving the plough a break?

Ha ha.... now theres a loaded question. Who says I havent already done so....?

(note: I answered a question with a question, a typical West Cork trick.....)

Usually means your fairly close to the mark, I'd say it's under serious consideration.... But it's goes a bit against the grain and your slow to change something that works well,..... Just a hunch

Back