Spring beans

I was at Teagasc tillage conference last week and they said there will be a payment again this year. It will depend on acreage again of course.

Ordered 17acres of Bean seed, never grown it before but going to try it and see, how early would lads sow, what fertiliser and/or slurry would lads go out with.

Ordered 17acres of Bean seed, never grown it before but going to try it and see, how early would lads sow, what fertiliser and/or slurry would lads go out with.

You’re lucky to have secured some seed, it’s very short in supply.

Id sow from now on once conditions are good enough. I’d sow them direct with some kind of tine drill than can put them down 3 inches. Preferably with fertilizer placed in the seedbed.

I think it’s illegal to apply N to beans so that would rule out slurry.
They like having P in the seedbed.
Something like 0.7.30 or 0.10.20 would be good.

I was through south Tipp today. The crops there are definitely the best I’ve seen this year so far.

You’re lucky to have secured some seed, it’s very short in supply.

Id sow from now on once conditions are good enough. I’d sow them direct with some kind of tine drill than can put them down 3 inches. Preferably with fertilizer placed in the seedbed.

I think it’s illegal to apply N to beans so that would rule out slurry.
They like having P in the seedbed.
Something like 0.7.30 or 0.10.20 would be good.
They said there wasn't massive demand in this area, I had said it to them back in December to have my name in, there's a guy not far from me who will sow them with a Clayton, I've heard of lads ploughing and using the Clayton then to get them in plenty deep? Never knew that about the N, apart from cutting a field once I'm a total novice

They said there wasn't massive demand in this area, I had said it to them back in December to have my name in, there's a guy not far from me who will sow them with a Clayton, I've heard of lads ploughing and using the Clayton then to get them in plenty deep? Never knew that about the N, apart from cutting a field once I'm a total novice

The Claydon should do a good job. Shouldn’t be need to plough if the ground is nice and friable. It would be nice to get some P in the seedbed though unless you are at Index 3 or 4 for P.

if the ground is a bit damp then the plough would certainly help dry it out. Like any crop, beans don’t like being mucked it.

I’d spread slurry no problem. The N will be gone off in the air anyway if ya leave it for a few days, I think there was actually a train of taught a few years ago that a small bit of N was beneficial to the bean as it sprouted and emerged before the nodules were produced so it could start making its own- don’t think there was trials just a fella had a theory....
don’t be content until the bean seed is in your shed....

The Claydon should do a good job. Shouldn’t be need to plough if the ground is nice and friable. It would be nice to get some P in the seedbed though unless you are at Index 3 or 4 for P.

if the ground is a bit damp then the plough would certainly help dry it out. Like any crop, beans don’t like being mucked it.
Is a deeper root system from direct drilling yielding any better than

Is der increased yields from direct drilling beans?

Is a deeper root system from direct drilling yielding any better than

Is der increased yields from direct drilling beans?

I wouldn’t expect any yield benefit from direct drilling the beans but it would definitely help from a crow point of view.
I do like how the strip tilled oilseed Rape seems to have less compaction than the plough/one pass.

@CORK & @Blackwater boy would you chance putting them in this Friday or else take a chance and leave it until the weather clears again. I'm siding on putting the fert on the stubble, straight in with the Claydon on Friday, rather than leaving it and hoping for a chance later in the month, the field is plenty dry, or is it too early?

@CORK & @Blackwater boy would you chance putting them in this Friday or else take a chance and leave it until the weather clears again. I'm siding on putting the fert on the stubble, straight in with the Claydon on Friday, rather than leaving it and hoping for a chance later in the month, the field is plenty dry, or is it too early?
Craic on if conditions are good, is there not rain for Friday?

So for index 4 no fert at all required?

Started ploughing at last, ground coming up in OK to good order.
There was dung tipped in a heap in the middle of the field last spring, the barley lodged so badly it was never even cut. I had to get a stone stuck in a skimmer right in the middle of it, just to really make a pig's ear out it.
I had a companion for the late evening.
20200303_172740.jpg 20200303_172744.jpg 20200303_172803.jpg 20200303_172807.jpg 20200303_172831.jpg 20200303_174711.jpg

Yes indeed an old Knight press, it is a great job, not sure I would have bothered for beans.
would you need to plough for beans, why not straight in with a tine? or run of grubber. looks loose field in good order

Always think the brown colour on the soil when worked is good sign rather than black, cold and wet

Back