Spring beans

Anyone thinking of sowing beans yet? Would be a little concerned about pressure from crows this early but all this dry weather is tempting

Anyone thinking of sowing beans yet? Would be a little concerned about pressure from crows this early but all this dry weather is tempting

very tempted too but I'm going to hold off for another week or two. February would suit me grand.
Simon Keeling is giving a share of easterly wind for mid February so that would be good (it'll probably rain for the whole month).

Does or did anyone every place fertiliser down with the drill for beans? Mainly the P? Reason I ask is over the last few years the growers I know who have the highest yields year in year out have very high P levels and or use or have used a lot of poultry or pig manures so there must be a link between high P and yield.

Does or did anyone every place fertiliser down with the drill for beans? Mainly the P? Reason I ask is over the last few years the growers I know who have the highest yields year in year out have very high P levels and or use or have used a lot of poultry or pig manures so there must be a link between high P and yield.
Our P levels are probably our most limiting factor (mainly index 2) -pH and K levels are better. To overcome this we combine drill 15 to 30 units of P, the K is applied seperatley as MOP or dung/compost/slurry.
I think it makes a big difference where soils may possibly be a bit short on P. Teagasc had trials in oak park in 2015 on this
https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2016/Tillage-Conference-Proceedings-2016.pdf

Work of devil them yokes
Sure you'd have to own one to get it out
Lads with shiny tractors and new ploughs only too happy to plough for half nothing anyway.
Judging by rain Thursday me thinks it's better in the bag anyway.

Lead is the job.....

Deep is fine but the shoots have to come up at some stage....

700g approx is what I'm seeing.....

just doing the sums....at that tgw I think ill cut back the seed rate...

Work of devil them yokes
Sure you'd have to own one to get it out
Lads with shiny tractors and new ploughs only too happy to plough for half nothing anyway.
Judging by rain Thursday me thinks it's better in the bag anyway.

What's happening Thursday? Thought the weather was good till Sunday anyway??

Sure John415 is probably driving around the roads down there with the drill trying to 'persuade' lads to sow

What's happening Thursday? Thought the weather was good till Sunday anyway??

Sure John415 is probably driving around the roads down there with the drill trying to 'persuade' lads to sow

they dont take much persuading. as soon as hardysplicer puts a few pictures up on facebook its usually enough too set them off.just lads around here forget we have proper land not sand.

they dont take much persuading. as soon as hardysplicer puts a few pictures up on facebook its usually enough too set them off.just lads around here forget we have proper land not sand.
We don't have sand either, you must be thinking of Bondi Beach

Couple of days rain will see you right

Any beans sown yet? I'm planning on direct drilling mine and I wonder do any of you have any advice on pre emerge sprays in a DD scenario. The field is stubble and was sprayed off with Roundup 6 weeks ago. How effective will Nirvana and Lingo be on DD ground or is there another option?
Is it worth paying 5 Euro an acre extra to put 1cwt of fertiliser down the spout on index 2 land?

Back