Spring oats

Harvesting around the spring oat plots this afternoon.

Isabel sown the 27th of February.

Only a lunatic would plant oats where the previous crop was spring peas and the crop before that was WOSR. If that lunatic then gave the crop 130 units of N he could expect to be picking up the oats in late September. Thankfully I got away with it this time.

Some really good lodging comparisons in the trial plots.

The Isabel seems to be yielding mighty and the grain feels heavy in the hand. It stood perfectly but wouldn’t want a hurricane.

9C318222-6248-498C-A88E-F32D6AE7E905.jpeg EEFACB20-9FC3-43F3-853F-0B9F32251F2E.jpeg 5CDB4B46-6C64-420A-8FDB-1800D4CF760C.jpeg 6F95DB74-388E-4602-8BFE-B03462C8E59F.jpeg

What sowing rate for spring oats lads? Have plenty of seed but just wondering.

Won't be sown till early next week.

The Karat will be making the Massey work
Only really tickling the ground to level it as much as anything, so not too bad except for the headlands, but even there it is well able for it. Grubbing stubbles would test it, but no shortage of power, a good bit behind the 6490 for traction alright, it tends to run out of traction before power.

Got my spring oats sown today. Averaged out around 10.5st/ac. Some maybe around the 9 mark. Got Granlime during the week and nearly 4 bags/ac of 10-10-20 +S.
20200403_130841.jpg 20200403_130841.jpg

Luckily we escaped the showers in this block today and rolled it tonight as the forecast did look like rain here tomorrow :rolleyes2:

20200403_192836.jpg 20200403_192831.jpg 20200403_192827.jpg

I thought @Skimmer would come in and give me a hand picking stones :whistle:

Got my spring oats sown today. Averaged out around 10.5st/ac. Some maybe around the 9 mark. Got Granlime during the week and nearly 4 bags/ac of 10-10-20 +S.
View attachment 76029 View attachment 76029

Luckily we escaped the showers in this block today and rolled it tonight as the forecast did look like rain here tomorrow :rolleyes2:

View attachment 76030 View attachment 76031 View attachment 76032

@nashmach , can I ask why the Granlime?
Oats doesn't like or need high ph.
Won't do any harm, but can't think of any good it will do for Oats, too late now, but just wondering is there a reason I am missing.

Last edited:
@nashmach , can I ask why the Granlime?
Oats doesn't like or need high ph.
Won't do any harm, but can't think of any good it will do for Oats, too late now, but just wondering is there a reason I am missing.

No bother, It's low pH ground, calcium levels are also low and Especially compared to the magnesium levels which may be locking up the K. I'm hoping that increasing the calcium levels will help improve the "drainage" of the soil. It retains water easily. Given the winter we've had I'd suspect levels of any of the above have probably worsened too.

I'm no fan of granlime especially after spreading it but this would have got normal lime if last autumn had to be an average year.

Hopefully it won't kill it so :sweat:

View attachment 76029 View attachment 76029

View attachment 76030 View attachment 76031 View attachment 76032

Who supplies the 10-10-20+S Nash, I never came across it with sulphur before.

How quickly would one usually expect Spring Oats to emerge? Around the two weeks mark similar to barley? I'll see all the misses then and where it is sown too light.:blushing:

And What's the general guide on N?

Thinking of going once tramlines are visible. It's about 37 units on it, 100 units too much, 3-4 years in SB.

Better a little too little than a little too much. 80 units would be grand. I'm sure one of the proper tillage men will be alone with a n actual answer

How quickly would one usually expect Spring Oats to emerge? Around the two weeks mark similar to barley? I'll see all the misses then and where it is sown too light.:blushing:

And What's the general guide on N?

Thinking of going once tramlines are visible. It's about 37 units on it, 100 units too much, 3-4 years in SB.
Oats is very slightly slower to chit, but more vigour than barley from there, so nothing really in it for emergence, but tramlines probably visible a day earlier with oats.
Total N depends on rotation, previous cropping, 100 units on longterm tillage ground 60 units if close to grass or very strong ground.
I think oats benefits from some late N, so would go half when tramlines are visible and half at second node, GS32.

Back