Spring Wheat

Does anyone know if much of the spring wheat crop actually makes milling or do the millers prefer to import it

Does anyone know if much of the spring wheat crop actually makes milling or do the millers prefer to import it

I find when selling dry milling wheat usually to Quinns that you have a few days to sell it before the door closes and they do not want anymore . This usually happens in mid September . Often their sample will show low protein but they will take it in the hope of buying some higher protein to balance it .;);)
The tonnage they buy is limited . Our Lumos winter wheat should have made milling but they said it would have to go as feed at €10 less on the same day.

I find when selling dry milling wheat usually to Quinns that you have a few days to sell it before the door closes and they do not want anymore . This usually happens in mid September . Often their sample will show low protein but they will take it in the hope of buying some higher protein to balance it .;);)
The tonnage they buy is limited . Our Lumos winter wheat should have made milling but they said it would have to go as feed at €10 less on the same day.

Would there be certain spec's of milling wheat like grade 1 where spring varieties might be more suitable or are they able to get their required tonnage from winter varieties

Sometimes they say it is biscuit grade . I just find if it makes milling it is easier to shift but I would not be spending money in the hope of getting milling in a ElNino year .

Quinns would the largest assemblers of milling wheat as far as I am aware. Wynnes would also do it. Not 100% sure about the rest of the merchants.

Most merchants don't get involved.

Any of the three spring wheat varieties should be suitable. Doubleshot should be the best in my opinion (mainly due to its high hfn).

Lumos and Lili would the only winter wheats. They would have less experience with Lili as its still quite new.

Quinns would the largest assemblers of milling wheat as far as I am aware. Wynnes would also do it. Not 100% sure about the rest of the merchants.

Most merchants don't get involved.

Any of the three spring wheat varieties should be suitable. Doubleshot should be the best in my opinion (mainly due to its high hfn).

Lumos and Lili would the only winter wheats. They would have less experience with Lili as its still quite new.

Which of the winter varieties are best suited to febuary/march sowing?

Sometimes they say it is biscuit grade . I just find if it makes milling it is easier to shift but I would not be spending money in the hope of getting milling in a ElNino year .

Is an El Niño year a good year for milling wheats?

Is an El Niño year a good year for milling wheats?

No it's bad here, usually get a wet season and fusarium, kph and hagberg are issues here in a good year not to mind a wet year. I had 60kph wheat in 2012!! Rained all summer.
I'd think lumos would be good to drill late as it's an early maturing variety, lilli is slow to get going(just a personal observation), rockerfeller is late maturing also but cork knows best.
I'd chance double shot or quintas and push it, good on disease and fusarium and sprouting which is what usually catches those spring drilled winter varieties.

Reading through the spring cereal listings (thanks Cork :thumbup:), Quintas gets good reviews on here and good reading on the stats.

Is the 7 for early ripening that obvious in the field for Quintas versus the others? That might suit where I have planned for it at the moment.

Reading through the spring cereal listings (thanks Cork :thumbup:), Quintas gets good reviews on here and good reading on the stats.

Is the 7 for early ripening that obvious in the field for Quintas versus the others? That might suit where I have planned for it at the moment.

Not really Nash. Plant it by Paddys Day and you'll have it cut by end of August where you are. Nothing touches it for outright yield.

Quintus not Quintas or Quantas.

Not really Nash. Plant it by Paddys Day and you'll have it cut by end of August where you are. Nothing touches it for outright yield.

Quintus not Quintas or Quantas.

Thanks Cork.

Due to factors outside my control, I might struggle to get it in by then but will see how it goes :thumbup:

Spelling noted too ;)

Got the quintus set yesterday at 11.5 stone, ploughed Saturday and Sunday in after maize, conditions only fair to be honest so kept the seed rate up a bit. Nice bit of wheat gone in locally, prob because there was no late sown winter stuff after maize or beet etc.

Sowed the Doubleshot yesterday and it worked out at 10St /acre . Sowed it with the Knocerling so seed only and I doubt if we will get to roll it but its not overtilled so should be firm enough .. The indices are mostly high in that field so it should be okay . If it dries up we might premerge with IPU . Goldcrop calculator says 11 ST but sure they are selling the seed . One 10 acre section I did not till and just sowed in with the drill . It got a run of the Horsch last autumn and was lovely and level .

Sowed the Doubleshot yesterday and it worked out at 10St /acre . Sowed it with the Knocerling so seed only and I doubt if we will get to roll it but its not overtilled so should be firm enough .. The indices are mostly high in that field so it should be okay . If it dries up we might premerge with IPU . Goldcrop calculator says 11 ST but sure they are selling the seed . One 10 acre section I did not till and just sowed in with the drill . It got a run of the Horsch last autumn and was lovely and level .

Best of luck with the Doubleshot @Bog Man . Out of interest - where did you see our calculator?

Doubleshot Spring Wheat sown 22 March . The bit in the picture was not tilled in the Spring but direct with the Kockerling into the ground that was tilled once in the Autumn . It is a second wheat so it will be interesting to see how it performs in comparison with the rest of the field . There are a couple of weak patches in the other field due to heavy rain after sowing . We rolled it after emergence to restrict leatherjackets .
20160520_113310.jpg

20160520_113251.jpg

20160520_113333.jpg

Anyone else have pretty sick spring wheat, pale and dead in itself, got cameo aphids hurler and half litre of ccc 2 weeks ago and it hammered it

Anyone else have pretty sick spring wheat, pale and dead in itself, got cameo aphids hurler and half litre of ccc 2 weeks ago and it hammered it
Got half rate Thor, 1.0 K2 aphids and trace elements and is doing fine, I wonder is the addition of hurler/reaper making the mix hot?

Maize Nash, maybe the hurler yes but never had an issue before. Not caught for water yet Nash but very harsh wind with 2 days, it's in a rich field and loaded with nitrogen so I had to put ccc and moddus on it this eve as its gs 31/32 now and can't use terpal as its for the mushrooms. It's just not full of life like it normally is and other spring wheat locally is the same really

Maize Nash, maybe the hurler yes but never had an issue before. Not caught for water yet Nash but very harsh wind with 2 days, it's in a rich field and loaded with nitrogen so I had to put ccc and moddus on it this eve as its gs 31/32 now and can't use terpal as its for the mushrooms. It's just not full of life like it normally is and other spring wheat locally is the same really
Have you any pics

my sw trials had a horrible start. Got beat up by all that heavy rain, ground slumped and capped. Growing away now but got a bit thin and leggy.
gave it a bit of ccc on saturday evening and havent seen it since.....

Quick tissue analysis to see what's going on in the plant, maybe it's just weather related as seed hasn't really jumped out of the ground like you would expect give late sowing and good conditions

It's going to get combitop and mancozin over the weekend anyway. It's all there and growing away but just pale and dull and no big lushness like usual. It was drilled in poor conditions so maybe that's coming back to haunt me

Back