Squeezing bull calves

Discussion in 'Stock Talk' started by Newfarmer2018, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Newfarmer2018

Newfarmer2018 New Member

Lads I’ve had to take over at my uncles for a few months while he’s recovering from a bypass. Well used to helping around he place but never squeezed bulls, more of the man on the tail. Any advice.

2. Burdizzo

Burdizzo Well-Known Member

You rang:wink:
    From my experience:
    Man on the tail, rope around in front of the hind legs to take the power from their rear, stand in close but sideways if possible (if you get a kick the further the leg travels, the more damage it can do and sideways bit is obvious).

You dont want too much movement at their head but need to be mindful they dont choke as its likely they'll go down. Always told to pinch the vein just above the ball and don't go too high. Count to 10 and do the other side. Hope that helps!

3. Mf 7715

Mf 7715 Well-Known Member

I was always told to say the Our Father rather than count to 10. At least if you get a kick you are already saying your prayers. :rolleyes2:

tractorted, nashmach, Win and 4 others like this.
  4. scoffcruddle

scoffcruddle Well-Known Member

My uncle was "nipping" a few one year,came out after dinner and couldn't find the burdizzos anywhere,poor bugger was running round the hill with them still attached.:blushing::eek3::ohmy:

nashmach, grassgreen and Burdizzo like this.
  5. Burdizzo

Every year the auld fella is always keen to get the job done. And i always say "its grand for you, you're not the one standing behind em"

Newfarmer2018 likes this.
  6. marco

marco Well-Known Member

My advice is get the vet to do them. Watch, listen and learn. Either that or sell them as bulls:cool1:

jay gatsby likes this.
  7. AYF

AYF Well-Known Member

@Newfarmer2018 never squeezed one here either.
    But If you've a fair bit to do it might be worth asking a neighbour or someone with experience for some pointers on the animal?
    Might save some hardship (and cost) down the line?

8. jf 850

jf 850 Well-Known Member

Couple of lads locally who also do hoof paring doing it for €4-5 a beast , depending on hardship they get , whether bucket fed or suckler stock , and age of calf.

I have got 1 of them for last 3 years , and won't be going back to doing it myself.

tanko and marco like this.
  9. marco

marco Well-Known Member

same as that, we get the vet. i hold the tail.

jay gatsby likes this.
  10. legsandland

legsandland Well-Known Member

As above ..good man on the tail ..stay in tight to the animal and don't be half-assed when doing the deed . Also remember to stagger the pinches ...have one a bit higher or lower than the other .
    Never left it closed on here ...just straight closed and open again and never any problems .

chickensandbeef likes this.
  11. chickensandbeef

chickensandbeef Member

Unless you have a good man you can trust to go on the tail don't tackle it yourself, more so if they are suckler bred. I spent 6 weeks this summer with an arm length plaster after getting kicked doing one, he kicked straight out with both legs like a mule would do, thought id been hit by a train. £100 to the vet looks very cheap now.

nashmach, jay gatsby and AYF like this.
  12. legsandland

legsandland Well-Known Member

Stick with the chickens?

13. jf 850

jf 850 Well-Known Member

He only requires the animals in the yard , and preferably divided from heifers , if appropriate.

He brings a son to hold the tail.

“ I wouldn’t trust anyone else to hold the tail. And he knows what he will get , if he doesn’t do it right , and I get a kick “

14. Arthur

Arthur Well-Known Member

Chap I know had a similar encounter but luckily got away, suckler double barrelled him as he was about to move in, left dirt on the tip of his nose with a hoof.

15. scoffcruddle

scoffcruddle Well-Known Member

If you have a foot winch on your crush lift one leg up against a chain,they simply can't kick you then,but it does depends how big they are.

16. massey 6480

massey 6480 Well-Known Member

Same as here close it once and on the the next one . In work i`m on the tail and other lad does the deed he does the opening /closing 10 times . Lads better be thinking of someone new to do work the burdizzo . Vet`s around here are slow in using one and if facilities are poor / help not available they dont want the job .

17. Burdizzo

A good tight rope around the rear quarters in front of the hind legs is the job to sap their power. Not too tight that they can't stand though. I wouldn't do it without it.

18. MF30

MF30 Well-Known Member

I had one to redo last year, I normally use the rubber rings in the first week and they're usually 100% effective. One must've broken and this fella grew a pair. Got his head in the headlock/skulling gate in the crush, then tied a strong rope from each back hoof forward to the gate so kicking backwards is a no go. Placed a square bale of straw between me and its legs for insurance and work away. Always place a bead of mastitis tube antibiotic along the grab of the burdizzo first and chop one side slightly above the other side so the sack doesn't fall off.

19. Charolais0153

Charolais0153 Well-Known Member

Do that to milk suckler cows with mastitis etc

20. Newfarmer2018

Newfarmer2018 New Member

Thanks for the reply’s lads..... some fella said the other day that you shouldn’t squeeze strong bulls that it’s a vet job, I’ve seen the uncle do em at all ages

21. WestCorkBoy

WestCorkBoy Well-Known Member

More force needed as they aare stronger, it's more trauma to the tissue so theres more chance of complications with swelling and the scrotum going septic. (testicle rots rather than being reabsorbed by the body) Note aswell if you are squeezing them there is a legislative need for a anaesthetic after a certain age, I've seen this checked in bord bia audits. Not sure on the age. Have a word with your vet he will sort a prescription.

22. Paw

Paw Well-Known Member

This side of the water over 2 month old is a vet job.

23. nashmach

nashmach Moderator

I was going to mention the last point too. Can't remember the age, it's either 4 or 6 months I think.

24. Newfarmer2018

Newfarmer2018 New Member

Thanks lad for all the advice. Did he job and survived! All bulls fine since and not much swelling.

25. Becauka

Becauka Well-Known Member

Are there going to be a lot of yearlings squeezed this year after this disastrous year trying to get young bulls into the factory?