Stock Pictures

Happened to have the camera with me earlier so....

Girdar etc 009.jpg
Some of the sheepies, Pure wiltshires with x texel lambs. Also more wiltshire x blue face also with texel lmbs.
Girdar etc 021.jpg

Girdar etc 018.jpg
Some of the sheep shed's and small pens. Sheep in the pens are sufolk x
Girdar etc 012.jpg

Girdar etc 013.jpg

Girdar etc 014.jpg
Wiltshire x texel ram, kept from last year to see how they turn out.
Girdar etc 027.jpg
We have a 100mm pipe with sections cut in the top for the sheep to drink. This one runs the length of 22 pens, holds a massive amount of water, and a damnsite easier than buckets, probably didn't cost much more either!
Girdar etc 029.jpg

Great pics there ,I dont miss the lambing shed much though :undecided:
the 100 mm pipe running the length of the pens is a great idea :thumbup:

Great pics there ,I dont miss the lambing shed much though :undecided:
the 100 mm pipe running the length of the pens is a great idea :thumbup:

Thanks, have one set up in the other pens also, would have them on all of them, except someone decided not to concrete the place level and left too much of a fall to make it work. Too high in one end, too low in the other!
But having a drinker between 2 pens works well, all saves a heck of a lot of hassle when it's busy!

Yup, just cut 3 foot off the end of a sheet, then turn it on its side and you can make a 5x4 pen with a 3 foot high door quite easily. Then cut a section out the back to take the pipe, if you make a pipe, make the hole much bigger, then use the cutout to level it off through the pens.
Just drilled holes in the floor and back walls and stuck 10mm metal pegs in them, then attach with farmers friend!! (baler twine!!)

DSCF1626_zpsfd20432d.jpg

Pair of lleyn lambs, the first ones that were born. All lambed now and lambing % for ewes going to the ram was 205%. Very happy with them:thumbup:

That lamb is half reared:D How did lambing go for ye?

The first 50 (incl 30 pedigrees) or so in January and February were middlin at best and the vets didn't do us any favours at all :thumbdown:

But since then it's been very good, there's been over 60 lambed since Easter week and have only lost 2 lambs, both of which were the size of kittens really. All the lambs are lively and great quality, the ewes have plenty of milk and the hoggets aren't running away from them!
There's 23 left to go, hopefully they'll do as well! :sweatdrop:

How did you fair out yourself?

The first 50 (incl 30 pedigrees) or so in January and February were middlin at best and the vets didn't do us any favours at all :thumbdown:

But since then it's been very good, there's been over 60 lambed since Easter week and have only lost 2 lambs, both of which were the size of kittens really. All the lambs are lively and great quality, the ewes have plenty of milk and the hoggets aren't running away from them!
There's 23 left to go, hopefully they'll do as well! :sweatdrop:

How did you fair out yourself?

Very good. The lleyns done very well, 18 ewes scanned for 43 lambs and ended up with 42 alive. Delighted with them although wont flush them this year to see will it reduce the number of triplets.

Theres 15 left in the shed to lamb and about 30 mountain ewes left so wont know exact numbers for a while yet and no more than yerselves lambs have been lively and ewes have been sound for milk bar a couple of early ones.
If there fed well in the run up to lambing its half the battle;)

What sort of trouble had ye with the vet? How ye fixed for grass?

As promised from earlier in this thread, some of my twilxshire (Wiltshire horn x texel) sheep with lambs at foot. Not the best pics but you get the idea!

byng a dafads 002.jpg

byng a dafads 003.jpg

byng a dafads 001.jpg

These are singles, didn't get a chance to take pictures of the twins yet. Found them to be excellent mothers, popping them out turning round and licking them, unlike running away like most yearlings!! Only problem with them was a bit of a lack of milk to begin with, but we gave them bit to hard a place to be fair, as they were a bit fat and were scared of oversize lambs! But they have all come to milk, granted one or two of them have had to go out with one rather than two!

Lambs have excellent get up and go in them also. And good growth rates, sent one lamb out, he was one of twins but the other drowned in his afterbirth (not it or her fault really) and was a bit small, but had caught up with the others in no time and is a stand out lamb in the field by now!

Very good. The lleyns done very well, 18 ewes scanned for 43 lambs and ended up with 42 alive. Delighted with them although wont flush them this year to see will it reduce the number of triplets.

Theres 15 left in the shed to lamb and about 30 mountain ewes left so wont know exact numbers for a while yet and no more than yerselves lambs have been lively and ewes have been sound for milk bar a couple of early ones.
If there fed well in the run up to lambing its half the battle;)

What sort of trouble had ye with the vet? How ye fixed for grass?

Good to hear! Yeah I agree, but they can be over fed too :sweatdrop:

Let's just say it'll be a wile before the topper's out!

Ach there were a few incidents, but the biggest one was when there was one of the pedigrees lambing, she was scaneed for 2 and always throws great lambs.
I was at work but when da went to examine her he found a head and 4 feet coming together, he worked for a wile and thought he had the right outfit but wasn't 100% sure so he put her on the trailer and took her to the vets.
The lambs were still alive when he went down and he told her to operate if she was in any doubt.
Well, she pulled on and resulted in 2 dead lambs. Da wasn't happy to say the least.

I went down with another commercial ewe that evening that had a big single coming, the same vet was on, I told her if she was in any doubt to operate. She tried to lamb her for about for 5 mins and then she told me to get the ewe ready to operate. I said to myself "I'll try to see what happens" 30 seconds later there was a living lamb there, and I wouldn't consider myself to be brilliant at lambing sheep.

Not sheep related but anyway... Some of the calves started to cough round Christmas time so we jagged them, but a heifer that we kept last year that we AI'ed took it too so da phoned the vet to see if the injection would affect the calf in her, he was told "no". There was a small calf lying on the slats the next morning.

Good to hear! Yeah I agree, but they can be over fed too :sweatdrop:

Let's just say it'll be a wile before the topper's out!

Ach there were a few incidents, but the biggest one was when there was one of the pedigrees lambing, she was scaneed for 2 and always throws great lambs.
I was at work but when da went to examine her he found a head and 4 feet coming together, he worked for a wile and thought he had the right outfit but wasn't 100% sure so he put her on the trailer and took her to the vets.
The lambs were still alive when he went down and he told her to operate if she was in any doubt.
Well, she pulled on and resulted in 2 dead lambs. Da wasn't happy to say the least.

I went down with another commercial ewe that evening that had a big single coming, the same vet was on, I told her if she was in any doubt to operate. She tried to lamb her for about for 5 mins and then she told me to get the ewe ready to operate. I said to myself "I'll try to see what happens" 30 seconds later there was a living lamb there, and I wouldn't consider myself to be brilliant at lambing sheep.

Not sheep related but anyway... Some of the calves started to cough round Christmas time so we jagged them, but a heifer that we kept last year that we AI'ed took it too so da phoned the vet to see if the injection would affect the calf in her, he was told "no". There was a small calf lying on the slats the next morning.

Jesus, thats a bad run of luck ye had with the vets. Wouldn't fill ya with confidence if ya had to head to them again.
Hopefully the rest go sound for ye, these things have a habit of evening themselves out:thumbup:

2 year old Lleyn ram posing for the camera today, he will be having a date with the ladies soon:D

Have llyens here and very happy with them, trying a few crossed to a beltex this year will see how that goes :lol:

I persume thats for a factory lamb hall? Last year was our first year with them and we found them mighty, have 50 pb ewes going wit that fella this year, trying to expand numbers as quickly as possible:D
You for the sale in ballymena tomorrow?

I persume thats for a factory lamb hall? Last year was our first year with them and we found them mighty, have 50 pb ewes going wit that fella this year, trying to expand numbers as quickly as possible:D
You for the sale in ballymena tomorrow?

Talked about going but have hard dung to go out in the morning and straw to bale in the afternoon so no chance. Are you getting yourself?

Yeah trying the beltex on just 10 ewes to see what the lambs will be like, the neighbour bought him a few weeks back and had nothing to put to him yet so I've swiped him for this experiment :lol:

Talking about it as well but if the day looks to be dry will be doing a bit of reseeding. That will be different anyways as its not a cross that ya would hear off, be intresting to see how they turn out. Might bump in to ya some time at a sale or something hall, be good to put a face to the name:thumbup:

what would ur opinion be on llyen charlious crooss lambs for breeding, ive heard nothing positive yet, the ram is very good for meat but not milk im told, still running llyen for replacements just want to up numbers but have good mothers to go the distance. might buy dorset this year for llyen hoggets and lambs what about that cross or any other suggestions u two might have

Wdah. Putting the llyen to the Charolais should give you good meat and good milk theoretically. We would tip our pb llyen ewe lambs to the Charolais as they are easy lambed. We had lambs ready for the factory in just over 15weeks this year just on grass no meal. So works for us. That's my 2ps worth :lol:

Yeah I'm sure we'll run into each other somewhere along the line Eire, would you go to the clougher sale? I will put up pics when we lamb them of the beltex-llyens!!

Back