Stock Pictures

A few Charolais Xs out if hols cows. Fairly surprised how they turned out. Just wondering what there worth and if any body is interested let me know.

They must not be that bad of Holesteins!!

What age are they roughly?

I would have said around 10-15c /kg over Angus for those. I'm out of room though :cry:

Are you washing the beet Barrowsider?
No Nash, just cleaner loaded. We try to clean when the beet is dry (cleaned about 60 tonnes yesterday) as its much more effective. A few lads around here finishing stock on high rates of beet and no one washes. I'd be more inclined to wash if feeding to younger stock or cows.

Thanks, Yes I'm fairly sure they're 16 foots it's been a while since they were put in. There's a passage way between each shed and slats so they can be fed on both sides.

We had considered something similar a few years ago but much smaller scale.

Ended up not doing as the yard would get small and we'd have to drive over the slats all the time doing anything. Also collecting all the rainwater on them kind of scuppered it for good.

Thanks, Yes I'm fairly sure they're 16 foots it's been a while since they were put in. There's a passage way between each shed and slats so they can be fed on both sides.

Seen it done on a farm recently. Was very good use of shed space, what the farm did was he had a slatted tank which he housed and killed cattle out of it he then transfered the cattle on the straw bed( like your system ) into the slas after it was empty and then reared his calves on the straw bed.
I suppose it was more justicifible to build his calf shed when u may have gotten up to 6 months use out of it

We had considered something similar a few years ago but much smaller scale.

Ended up not doing as the yard would get small and we'd have to drive over the slats all the time doing anything. Also collecting all the rainwater on them kind of scuppered it for good.
I think it works well, they don't mess up the bedding as much when they eat outside and it maximises the number you can fit in the shed. They rarely lie out on the slats except for perhaps a sunny day during October or May. The tanks don't collect much rainwater as long as the rain falling on the adjoining passage ways or aprons doesn't end up in the tank too.
We plan on extending the shed on the right next year.

How many acres are they running across?

I think you are mad, what value is there in what they are currently eating?
40c/day to feed them outside, plus you won't have early grass.
Do you not think if they were inside eating the same amount of barley and silage they would do better.

Do you not think if they were inside eating the same amount of barley and silage they would do better.
Would yellow snow not have a value as a substitute for feed grade urea I wonder

They are across 25 acres. It wasn't grazed since the first week in September because of ground conditions. So leaving heavy grass on it till spring will only waste a lot of it.

Have more ground closed up for early grass for these lads in galway but early grass is of no benefit around here for the cows because ground conditions won't allow for grazing much earlier than mid April. Indeed, the average turn out date around here is May 1st. These lads will be on their second rotation in galway by then.

This ground will get nitrogen at the end of March with the quad to be ready for grazing at the beginning of May.

I would say that there's no value in what their eating. But if you have old woolly rough ground, I think it's better to eat it off and have it clean for the spring. On that sort of ground you won't be putting cattle early anyhow.
My outwintered cattle always perform better than their housed comrades and their always In the first pick when you go to sell.

Back