Stock Pictures

Thanks.
It works well for the small few I have, but wouldn't work for bigger numbers.
Proper jealous of anyone with that kind of place.
Often drive past a sandy field here that dad regrets not buying years ago. Was told at the time that it was going for a stupid price. It didnt! Especially by now! Would have saved its worth in straw over and over

IMG_20180126_145258.jpg IMG_20180126_145327.jpg

August born bull calf off a small tidy ch cow and simmental stock bull. Castrated in November and will be ready to hit the ground running to grass in march. Eating 2kg of rolled barley from the lick feeder per day. Very happy with performance to date.

Was the outwintering/catch crop a success, weigh gain/ kill out wise ?@gone
For a small number , it should fit it very well on a tillage farm.
What sort of carcass weight did they get into ? I think you may have said they weren't your cattle , so.maybe you weren't told the figures.

Was the outwintering/catch crop a success, weigh gain/ kill out wise ?@gone
For a small number , it should fit it very well on a tillage farm.
What sort of carcass weight did they get into ? I think you may have said they weren't your cattle , so.maybe you weren't told the figures.
They were bought about this time last year at about 400kg and killed out between 390kg and 420kg averaged 412kg.

The heifers went off to Ballon Meats, so moved the smaller bullocks to finish the Kale/Rape and tillage radish.
First time since they were calves that they have a shed to sleep in.
View attachment 51463 View attachment 51464
That reminds me of a bunch of outliers that came through the local mart, auctioneer proclaimed "today is the first time they were under a roof".

These lads went off with another bunch to the factory at first light today.

I'm told we had one U on the load so suspect it's the 2nd from the left. CH from a FR cow.

I'm hoping the two either side graded R's. Lad to the left is a PT from a FR.

Last edited:

These lads went off with another bunch to the factory at first light today.

I'm told we had one U on the load so suspect it's the 2nd from the right. CH from a FR cow.

I'm hoping the two either side graded R's. Lad to the left is a PT from a FR.
I must be having a Fr Ted "small-far away" moment, Black beast nearest looks like the U to me, but almost impossible to judge cattle from a photo.
Hope died in profit, :Thumbp2:

I must be having a Fr Ted "small-far away" moment, Black beast nearest looks like the U to me, but almost impossible to judge cattle from a photo.
Hope died in profit, :Thumbp2:

Sorry I meant the 2nd from the left as the U. Wouldn't surprise me if it was the first on the left either.

They did well but the remainder were a mix and gathering of mainly AA with a few small butty yokes and a few rawny ones so the average price probably hides a lot.

Back